Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

The Final Curtain

Lads it has been a treat,

Since I came into the forum I have had nothing but help and advice. The thing is, having read all the posts, and seen all the pics, I'm left with a feeling that I'm punching above my weight.

I shall return when I have a little more experience with the skies above...

Clear Skies

Spud

Sorry to hear you feel that way Spud. Our intention here is to not be - little anyone in any way,shape or form. This forum is for any Astronomer regardless of experience!!, you must not feel that way. Experience will come with time. Its been great having you around here, and I for one would feel sad to see you sign off for while.

Think it over, please call in from time to time keep us up to date on your achievements... we certainly would like to hear them.

All the best

Rob

Hey Spud,

Don't sign off. We really don't want to lose you. As Rob said the forum is for all astronomers regardless of experience. And it won't take you long to get up to speed either. Plus ask as many questions as you like along the way.

Please think it over before signing off.

Russ

Ok Spud let me tell you a little bit about punching above your weight.

I have been into astronomy for about 6 years now and have had the privilege of making loads of acquaintances (yourself included)

But mostly all the guys that i come into contact with have been doing it since child hood which normally means that they know the sky

better than me/understand the concept better than me/have better kit than me/know how to use their kit better than me.

One of my best mates has been doing this for years he has all the knowledge and the kit to go with it,he understands things that i

cannot even contemplate it tends to make me feel dumb sometimes but without his TEACHINGS i would know a lot less than i do now.

To be totally honest with you i also feel that i am punching above my weight but i keep doing it in the hope of getting heavier.

I have put on a couple of pounds since starting this hobby.(you will too)

If it wasn't for places like this i would be in the dark about so much.

Like me you might be thinking that you don't contribute a heck of a lot to the fold but you would be WRONG.

Hobbies like this need beginners like us e.g new blood

You don't come across as someone who makes hasty decisions.

What i am trying to say in a long winded sort of way is you are not the only one who feels this way so don't give up on us.

See for your self 99.9% of my posts have absolutely no astro experience behind them mostly just comments about others good work.

Thought you OLD soldiers had a never say die train of thought? ( time you started using it again ) rant rant rant rant!

If all this is out of order just tell me to naff off i will understand.

SkyGuy said it very well, Spud. The best way to pick up new skills and confidence is to ask questions and try out new things. Those that "know more" or have more experience are most always willing to help. If you feel queezy asking in a public way, please feel free to PM me or anyone else about specifics. Others have already done it, so you're not alone. Just don't leave, ok?

... Like me you might be thinking that you don't contribute a heck of a lot to the fold but you would be WRONG.

... and so do budding forums!

Ive only been doing this for about a year myself and have joined several astro groups before settling here. 

What I have discovered is: Without beginners, a group gets top heavy, dry and frankly... boring!  Moderaters, forgive me if I am out of line but this appears to be a relatively new group formed by some experienced astronomers that probably first met on other forums.  Spud, without the likes of you and other beginners asking questions, this forum might easily stall, then reduce to a small and select club.  I for one would rather see it grow into something this country needs - a strong and active on-line astro community

Your forum needs you  :salute:

Steve  :)

... Like me you might be thinking that you don't contribute a heck of a lot to the fold but you would be WRONG.

... and so do budding forums!

Ive only been doing this for about a year myself and have joined several astro groups before settling here.

What I have discovered is: Without beginners, a group gets top heavy, dry and frankly... boring! Moderaters, forgive me if I am out of line but this appears to be a relatively new group formed by some experienced astronomers that probably first met on other forums. Spud, without the likes of you and other beginners asking questions, this forum might easily stall, then reduce to a small and select club. I for one would rather see it grow into something this country needs - a strong and active on-line astro community

Your forum needs you :salute:

Steve :)

Now thats a good post! :)

Nice words by Steve. And he's right too. :)

We need amateurs of all levels to make the forum interesting. Plus you won't stay at your current level for long, it's amazing how quick things are picked up. Before you know it you'll be one of the old hands passing down the tips. :)

Please stick with it (almost down on my knees now). :)

Russ

Spud ,now listen mate , we all have to start some where, its not about who can produce the best image , its all about the progress we make , its great just watching ppl improve , and its great helping ppl as well , . it is amazing how fast you will pick up all about the imaging side , so my friend just stay with us , it will make things more interesting for you , i promise

Rog

:)

Although I've been observing for years, I've only just got into the imaging side if things. I know my efforts are poor but the guys round here still give you a pat on the back and a few suggestions. Stick around and we might give Ant and Celescope a run for their money one day!! :)

Judging from the dates, I think this is still live - catching up from holidays......

Spud,

I am in exactly the same boat. I know next to diddly-squat about this hobby, but the guys on here almost beg you to ask the questions - how else are we to rise to the next level? Yes, you can read (as I do), d/l (I'll skip the 'downloading for Ant' joke :) ) software (as I do), but without the interaction of people, it would surely be less of an experience.

Can I suggest you re-read some of your earlier posts and the responses that others have given - their enthusiam and excitement for you is almost as high as your own.

Be sad to see you go,

Darren

The joke was on me in a PM when i had just joined this forum.

I was having trouble getting connected to this forum and the UKAI (a problem with my IP address)

and you so kindly suggested that it was because of my pc being full of [removed word].Well i nearly fell off my f$@k*ng chair you had me going hook line and sinker.

Then of course you then told me you were at the wynd up which left me relieved and feeling a bit of a [removed word]

for being taken in so easily. (memory returning yet old boy?)

to be honest, no it isn't....

I remember you having issues logging in and a few PM's back and forth trying to sort it out. But I don't remember the [removed word] reference....

But I won't deny writing it - in fact I'm starting to get a little worried about my memory - it really appears to be leaving me!

Might have to go to the doctors :)

Ant

Archived