Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Summer Solice M92

OXO

Hi All,

Been after this Glob for a while now and had to get the 5" frac out to do it justice. Used the Canon 300d at ISO 400 so help with noise levels and ISO 800 to get some light gain. Tracking was fab on the Heq5 last night and managed to run upto 1min exposures the result is of 30x1min exposures stacked in Image plus and edited in photoshop.

image.jpg

Hope like it as it's my best glob to date :)

James

James, that's superb!!

Hopefully, when I've got chance this weekend will pop my 300D onto my LX90 and if I can track without too much movement will try the Ring Nebula.

You've given me some ideas as to what exposures to use bearing in mind that the 90 is at F10 in prime focus...but looking forward to the session.

Nice image though - I will have to work hard to match that one!!

Cheers,

Dave.

Thank you for all your kind comments :)

The seeing was about 8/10 :shock: just about an hour before setting up the rain was shocking thought here we go again another cloudy rainy night but to my amazement it cleared up perfectly and setup quick! :). Had the Celestron 80mm on a Photo Tripod for observing whilst imaging this gave splendid views throughout Hercules..

James

Absolute corker James - lots of lovely sharp little stars bursting out of the core. Well done on that. Nice image scale too. At first I didn't think much of 1 min but looks like that frac has a pretty long focal length so the HEQ5 has done well :)

Thanks Martin, yeah its f/9 so getting image scales of the smaller dso's doesnt seem a problem and the Heq5 was working a treat :) Good polar alignment is half the key to these LG exposures i'll be taking more time over it in the future see if i can get 2 mins with the ED80

James :)

thats superb James. Tracking is first rate, especially unguided with a 1150mm focal length :shock: focus is perfect and the cluster is perfectly exposed..........awesome!!!!

russ

Cheers Rog/Rus,

Rog that would be great mate cut away 8)

Russ, yeah i was amazed with the tracking i did spend a while polar aligning and getting the scope balanced normally i rush this but on this occasion i decided to do it properly at first i was getting around 20 secs before trailing so with some minor adjustments to the mount hey presto i was getting 1 min exp makes me wonder if i could of got longer but i reckon i pushed the mount as far as i could with the f9 scope.

James

Great image, James. This was one of my main targets turing the GCSP. I used it to teach people how to observe such objects. First, you'd see a fuzzy cotton ball. Keep looking and concentrate on the stars around the edge. Pretty soon, you start to resolve the haze into individual stars. Keep looking, and the stars begin to resolve closer in. Keep looking, and they become denser and denser toward the middle. Keep looking, and you can see there are stars behind stars behind stars, right to the core.

I had dozens return and tell me they used this skill all along the line of scopes and it helped a lot. Some said they looked at objects again after they'd heard me and saw more detail the second time around.

One of my favorites. :)

Thanks Astroman, tiz funny i said something very similar to a SGL member whist they were at the eyepiece of a 102 f/5 frac and they too could see stars become resolved from the cotton ball(Great term :)) after only a few Min's :).

James

Cheers Kain, have you seen M92 yet in ya scope?

James :)

M92 is really pretty easy to find with an equatorial mount. The northeast star in the body of Hercules has three stars, arranged in an arc. Center your scope on the middle star, (69 Her), then just move in declination northward ~6º using a wide field eyepiece, and you're there.

Archived