NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Hello from Glasgow

Cygnus

Hi, my name's Maeve. I'm in secondary school just now and am hoping to work for NASA, SETI or the ESA when I'm older.:D

I've got 2 telescopes - one from Next that I've had for 7 years or so, doing a lot better than I'd previously thought!!! The other's a 50mm reflector from M&S which had been hidden in a cupboard at my dad's for about 5 years. Works quite well, though!:D

Glasgow is often plagued with cloudy nights, but when the occasional clear night comes by I'm outside stargazing.

I'm interested in astrophotography but need some help on how to adjust a webcam so that it can get the best detail. Help will be much appreciated! ^^

Hello,

Welcome and...Get using those scopes.. although I suspect the 50mm one may be a small refractor.. not reflector..

Hope you can actually see some stars as last time I was in Glasgow the amount of light pollution (sadly a lot of it deliberate and unnecessary) was terrible...

Although if you are more suburban I am sure it is a bit better....

See how many of the pleiades (7 sisters) or number of stars inside great square of pegasus you can see to gauge the quality of your sky.

Astrophotography is a whole different ball-game from basic observing.. although there are interesting and easy things you can do without huge expense or fancy equipment...

There are many here who will advise you..

Have a good 'lurk' and browse of the forums as many of your questions will be there having been asked (and answered) by someone else already.

Thanks

Steve

Hi Maeve,

A very warm welcome to SGL. Sounds like you are already bitten by the stargazing bug. There is still plenty of astronomy that can be done from city centres whether you prefer visual or imaging. As Steve above has suggested have a good look around the forum, then if you have any questions please ask away, there will usually be someone able to offer advice or a solution.

Hope you get some clear skies soon.

Steve..

Hi Maeve, Im just down the road from Glasgow , and there are a few other forum members who live in the Central Belt, Im afraid I dont have a clue about webcams, but this forum is the place to ask any questions, there are a lot of clever (and helpfull) people on here :D

Hi Maeve,

Welcome to SGL from another Glasgow imager. I'm from out the western side, lots of Scottish folk on here, just ask your questions away and we will do our best to answer.

Maeve is a great Irish name not one I have heard over here or spelt the Irish way before, a lovely name (you can probably guess I am Irish, been over here a long time), is there an Irish connection ?.

Brendan

Howdy!

I am from Glasgow to, Southside to be exact, near Hampden ...

Although now to be found in Canberra, Australia, looking at The Lagoon, The Triffid, and Eta Carinae as they pass overhead

Enjoy your stay !!

:D

PS. i remember some very clear nights in Glasgow !!

Hi Maeve,

A warm welcome to SGL, I admire your enthusiasm but to reach your goal will mean a lot of hard work, University and qualifications in the right subjects, may sound a bit daunting at the moment, but it will be well worth it in the end. I wish you every success, enjoy the forum.

John.

Archived