NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Draco Triplet from Kelling

Tim

I'd never heard of this one, but happily joined the small group around Andrew's 18" Obsession who were looking at it. You can see all three central galaxies in the eyepiece, the edge on one being the most dramatic I would say. After seeing them visually, I had to try and get a pic, just to keep the memory alive.

They are in Draco, which is setting at the moment in the first part of the night, so I could only grab a couple of hours. Given the amount of background galaxies I think I will revisit this one in 6 months or so, when it is a lot higher.

Forgive the stars, the camera wasnt square, and I cant for the life of me remember which combination I used to get the pic, I think it was the MN190 with QHY8.

As a point of interest, I did not use a LP filter at Kelling at all this year, just to try out the dark sky not needing one theory. The backgrounds came out mostly like a chocolatey dark brown, so the lights from Sheringham and Holt definetly have an effect on the image. It doesnt leave a huge gradient as at home though, and is easily corrected to taste in PS.

Thanks for looking.

TJ

Here is the full size version on Flickr - as I say, forgive the stars :D

Flickr Photo Download: Draco_Triplet

post-14037-133877402132_thumb.jpg

They are NGC 5981, 5982, and 5985, im not sure whichis which. Also in Draco is a very impressive edge on galaxy NGC 5907, I grabbed a few shots of that between clouds, i'll post it up as and when they get processed, got loads to do yet :D

There are a number of fainter ones in there TJ, but you got the main players nicely placed in the Image. It is a lovely sight, and If the stars are faulty, they do not detract from the scene at all.

What do you reckon to a longer focal length on this one?

Ron.:D

Yes Ron, next time i'll go in closer and use the H9 camera on my C9.25 I think. Give a nice scale that. As far as astrophotos go, this is pretty much a snapshot, taken to show the Mrs what she could have been looking at instead of Strictly....... :D

Archived