Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Veil Complex... and a result!

SteveL

OK, so I made the mistake of setting up for the evening without actually checking the sat pics, so when I did see them on their way, I spent the time remaining on items I needed to test. Specifically, getting Maxim to guide.

Well, after a few attempts at getting the right parameters for calibration time saorted, it worked... in fact it worked very well! So much so that I then fired up CCD Commander and let it run one of the scripts I had for the veil. And that worked first time, complete with autoguding and dithered subs and everything! Hurrah I say....

Then the clouds rolled in, so I only managed to get 5 x 900s on this, but for me, its a real breakthrough

Controlled by: CCD Commander

Mount: EQ6 via EQMOD

OTA: Borg 77EDII @ f/4.3

Guiding: SW ED80 + SX Lodestar + PHD

Imaging: Starlight Xpress M25C + MaximDL, 5×900s, Astronomik 13nm Ha (101 bias, 101 flats)

Stacked: DeepSkyStacker

Post Process: PSCS2

No larger image, its very noisy due to the lack of time on target

20090910_veil_complex_800.jpg

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

looks as though you have all of the complex in this Image.

I understand the size to be about 3 degrees.

Are you able to go wider with the Borg?

No mention of a reducer, but at f4.3 how much faster would you need.?

Superb Image, and that's not an afterthought:D

Ron.:).

Thats a cracker Steve!!!! Just out of interest what settings did you use for Maxim? I tried the other night and couldn`t get the mount to move "enough".

Alan:)

I set the gider settings to use the maxim telescope, then set maxim telescope to use Eqmod. Using my lodestar+ED80 guide system, i settled on calib time of 15, and 2xbin the guide camera. Seemed to work incredibly well.... so I wont be touching the settings until they stop working again :)

CCD commander sounds interesting. Is there no way you could leave the mound set up outside, it'd minimise your preparation and maximise the skies. I find that even on my tripod, with reasonable PA, you dont even need to do a N star align after a few nights, it will put the target dead centre from switch on. I cant wait to get my pier at Kelling :)

Archived