Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Following Al Nagler's advice...

I chatted with Al Nagler at the CSSP a couple of years ago, and I asked him about cleaning eyepieces. He told me that I should take a little industrial grade acetone and a Q-tip, swirl the acetone around the glass surface, let it dry then breathe on it and wipe again with a dry Q-tip. I had never actually done this, although I was sure it was a good idea. Today I got the required materials, and tried it out on my 4.8mm Nagler, which had some crud on one side of the FOV in use, a yellow filter that looked like it had been permanently fogged, and my 9mm Celestron Ortho that I have been uding for a focuser plug for my refractor.

The result? Absolutely brilliant! The filter looks brand new again, the crud is gone from the Nagler, and the Ortho which looked like it had a coating on it, is now absoltely clear. I also have a pint of Acetone, less a few drops, and 176 Q-tips, in case anyone wants to drop by and spend the afternoon cleanng their eps.

I bet Isopropyl-alcohol (IPA for those in the know) will do the job too. I don't like Acetone as it 'does your fingers in', I much prefer ethanol or IPA! (I don't get the shance to play with them as much nowadays though).

All the best

PEter

PS I used one of those 'lens pens' from Jessops on a Nagler and a 'fogged filter' and got the same sort of 'wow' results. Have to give the above advise a go too.

Sounds good to me. Though I can be a little "cavalier" with such things. I sense it's a good idea to avoid TOO much solvent - Might penetrate around the lens edge etc. One of those BRIGHT LED torches/flashlights is quite useful for revealing "film" deposites... :D

You can get IPA from chemists. Only certain chemists can stock them as it is a hazardous substance and is liable to combust at past 30 deg C. I phoned all the chemists where I live, and only one had the facilities. They ordered it in for 4pm that afternoon and spending £5 I came away with 500ml of IPA - now sat in my fridge...

A good point. High street (UK!) "chemist" assistants look rather non-comprehendingly on request for solvents... Dispensers, even rather suspiciously, these days? :D No more "Saltpeter" or "Morphia" etc :(

I would echo the notion that one should go for "reasonable" purity. I once worked a few months at (the then) ICI and even bog-standard lab solvents still contained about a "cc" of "crud" per Winchester. :)

So, be a little careful. It's a good idea to look for a small bottle of "good" (pure!) stuff. IMO. Though I have used a "dab o' Smirnoff", in emergency. :) [Not really recommended for Optical use though!]

White vinegar is very different from acetone. Years ago when I worked as a cleaner, we used white vinegar for glass, and Windex for aluminium door plates. Nail polish remover is acetone, but it is diluted a bit, and contains oils and things that are not good for glass eps.

Apparently, you shoud not use acetone for camera lenses, or binocular objectives, as they may have painted surfaces, and the paint can smear over the lens. Given that warning, I'd keep it away from my telescope objective, too.

Vinegar is ethanoic acid. You could use 'reagent grade' ethanol.... got the 'ingredients' on the side, so no nasty hangovers...... I did have some colleagues who I suspected of drinking mine! I agree that Acetone has a habit of cleaning most things off. IPA is no worse than white spirit or meths as far as safety is concerned. The 'proper' way to clean optics is 'drag-n-drop' (maybe drop-n-drag), but as the eyepiece optics are recessed it is not possible to use.

Modern optics coatings are pretty robust and I'd guess that Al has made sure the ones on his eyepieces are pretty tough.

Cheers

PEterW

I once purchased IPA from Jessops. It Was marketed as lens cleaner and to my surprises it's 100% IPA.

I used to buy pints of IPA from a place called the White Hart - I wouldn't clean my eyepieces with it though ...... :D

John

I got my IPA from the local chemist. I dilute it down to one part in 10 with water and then gently go over with cotton bud.

Its what I always used on camera gear as well and I find it brings lenses up to sparkling but I was advised never to use it on mirrors as the mirror surface coatings dont like it much. I dont know if thats true but I'd rather not find out the hard way.

I stay away from acetone as I have painted nails usually and the thought of the acetone mixing with nail polish and getting on a lens is just too painful to bear. You can never trust gloves 100% so I stay away from it.

It's interesting and amusing to read about the care attention lavished on eyepieces and telescope objectives - then compare it with the way the average person cleans their spectacles!

EG: wipe on tie (if worn), use dirty hankie (if handy), old bit of tissues (never throw them away), wipe on shirt or jeans...etc...

I tend to use a spray on cleaner and use a very fine microfibre cloth to clean my specs - before anyone asks! :D

Archived