NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Broadbnd to avoid

robindurant

I have now been without my BT Broadband for over 12 days due to a fault on their side. I have beeen pushed from Pillar to post by the faults dept and still they can't sort it out. I am on a Businness contract but this has made no difference. I tought that I shoiuld warn the members who are thinking of BT or are on it already, they are Carp!

I am sending this on the old dail up system on my laptop

Robin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmmmm, I very very very very nearly took out a BT contract on domestic broadband and decided against it when I saw my boss arguing over the phone for an hour to BT (more than once) about a certain issue that should have been resolved very quickly, but wasn't. From what I see, with regards to being an ISP, they don't treat business customers very well.

Saying that though, a truck with a raised crane arm crashed through the entire village's phone lines a few months ago and BT came out to fix it - we were back online within a day.

I'll stick with Orange (used to be Freeserve then Wanadoo), ta. Haven't had a single problem. :)

Comcast is fine once you get past thier Rubbish level 1 tech support. I cant tell you how many times I have given them the answers tot he problem only to have them say, "Ya we need to send a tech out..blah, blah."

I have actually gotten to know the tech's in my area that they just call my cell phone asking whats up, I give them the answer and bam problem solved.

XD

Every broadband company will mistreat a percentage of its customers. I have never had any problems with BT and before them I never had any problems with Tiscali. But then, you only hear about the bad experiences - happy customers are silent.

That said, I completely sympathise with anyone who has a problem with their internet provider and completely agree that they should let as many people as possible know about poor service. Hope they sort you out soon Robin!

Seconded on VM... I've been an exceedingly happy BeThere customer for the last 6 months. I wouldn't change from them for £1000... (maybe a million if any other ISP is looking :))

Ditto, i've been with Bethere for about 2 years now and they've been excellent.

I have now been without my BT Broadband for over 12 days due to a fault on their side. I have beeen pushed from Pillar to post by the faults dept and still they can't sort it out. I am on a Businness contract but this has made no difference. I tought that I shoiuld warn the members who are thinking of BT or are on it already, they are Carp!

I am sending this on the old dail up system on my laptop

Robin

Not good. However, I have had BT Broadband for three years and have never - touch wood - had a problem with them. There have been about two internet outages in that time and on both occasions the net was back up by the end of the day.

I think the problem with BT is the fact they have overseas call centres and with the best will in the world, heavy Indian accents can get in the way of communication. They can't understand us and we can't understand them!

Zen all the way for me. Superb helpdesk when and if you need it. Won best ISP for several years on the trot. I did have a period about 18 months ago when I left them and tried VM....:) what a waste of space if its not cable, and if it is and you have the temerity to use it, you will be throttled. (Traffic management).

So I returned to Zen about 6 months ago, must admit a little pricey but for my money I have a 50Gb monthly limit, whether I choose to use half of it in one go 24/7 or what ever, no traffic management.

Would recommend them to anyone who uses the net as more than a light user.

Regards

Keithp

Sky BroadBand.

Works good, good speed and £10 a month ontop of sky package for totally unlimited and un throtttled access. For the serious internet user out there. They are one of the few, if only, companies to offer truely 'unlimited' download and upload rates with no throttling or fair usage policy.

They were the center of a piece that BBC watchdog did some months about unlimited speeds and ISPs.

BeThere are also totally unthrottled and unlimited (for those of us who won't pay $ky for their TV :)) as well as the fact they have their own equipment at the exchange & backbone so no contention with BT unbundled broadband customers...

Yes, I do rate BeThere (or O2 - same umbrella company) very very highly. And no, I don't work for them :grin:

I'm with AOL, who I almost ditched after they cut off my broadband because my credit card had changed 6 months before and they hadn't been able to take any money defunct card. Never got an email or a letter from them, it just stopped working one day!

One of the problems with broadband is there a massive opportunity for buck passing. There's the phone line, your router/pc and the broadband service, each of which may be operated by a different organization.

I'm interested to see a good comment for Orange, my mobile phone is with them and their customer service has been excellent. Thinking about moving...

I wouldn't have a BT product on my property if you paid me :), I would sooner stick red hot needles in my eyeballs.

Im still very sore at BT from my ISDN days, been with VM since BB was launched eons ago ( I was a beta tester)

I use Eclipse.net - I seem to remember, at the time, it was one of FEW that supported linux? I transferred my account successfully to my new home - At the top of a Welsh hill! The main problem now is the BT line attenuation, which I suspect would limit ANY provider to 4Mb/s. But BT were RESOLUTE (over an over again!) that I must contact my own ISP with such problems! Took 'em quite a while to rumble that I wasn't a BT customer though... :grin:

Recently I had problems with parts of the wider internet being apparently unavailable - As reported by a BT (sic) error page! But, I configured all my Windoze boxes to use FIXED IP addresses and explicitly gave a DNS address and backup. Within the speed limits, it all works reasonably OK now... :)

I'm with AOL, who I almost ditched after they cut off my broadband because my credit card had changed 6 months before and they hadn't been able to take any money defunct card. Never got an email or a letter from them, it just stopped working one day!

One of the problems with broadband is there a massive opportunity for buck passing. There's the phone line, your router/pc and the broadband service, each of which may be operated by a different organization.

I'm interested to see a good comment for Orange, my mobile phone is with them and their customer service has been excellent. Thinking about moving...

If you look at my earlier post, I am an Orange customer, and have been for the last three years. Seriously, the only problem I had was a slight delay in sending the router (when Orange was "Wanadoo") , but the last three years has been absolutely problem free and I haven't rang them since, apart from finding out some code for configuring my Linksys wireless network. :)

Before that, I signed up to America Off Line for a year (and hated it)

No stranger to ISP issues.

A few years back I was with prodigy networks. To start with I was getting a very good deal and to be fair, a reliable connection for the first two years. After a few years their prices never altered and became quite uncompetitive so I decided to move on as I could get a far faster connection + a fair download limit for the same price.

Moving turned out to be a sod. It took me the best part of a year to get away. E-mails ignored, phones never answered, even letters seemingly ignored.

Eventually, I got a cancel option added to my account (they wouldn't give me a MAC) so I had to cancel and live without an internet connection for a couple of weeks.

I'm now with Namesco who provide a very good service. The only time I've lost my connection was when BT had to do some work on the local exchange. I can't recommend them enough.

I was interested to see that prodigy got cut off by bt wholesale earlier in the year.

Gareth

Virgin Media ARE NO BETTER!!! Its been up and down more than a brides nightie the last few weeks!!!! AVOID!!!!!!

Alan:)

I suppose there's good and bad with everyone. Ive been a VM (ntl as was) personal broadband customer for nearly 10 years. I've had exemplary service with any problems (hardly any) sorted out pdq - and I get the full monty as I'm on cable. I was a BT business customer and they were terrible - unreliable and for months after I moved business premises, they kept trying to charge me for the ADSL lines in the old premises even though they had been disconnected (years out of the initial contract period). You pays your money and takes your chances......Oh, and when I was arranging a new phone line earler this year for my mother, BT could find no trace of my order even though I had paper confirmation from them. Unbelievable!

I feel your pain Robin. I sacked BT Broadband 2 years ago because we were cut off for 15 days. I spent lierally hours on the phone trying to get it sorted. No roganisation or communication, in the end I was put through to some bloke called Raj who sorted it out in an hour. I couyld have claimed compensation but I was so brow beaten by the whole episode I just left it and changed provider.

Unfortunately we still have to rely on BT for the land line and we get cut off at least twice a year with that. Ive now got a 3G dongle and if that had better reception I would ditch BT altogether.

Hope its sorted soon

Philj

I'm on Virgin cable broadband and have been with them (and Telewest before them) for years. The service has got faster and more reliable in recent times. I now get a download speed of 10mbs according to a recent speed check. Brilliant!

Brinders

Archived