Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the biggest refractor that you can buy : Realistically

Well for $19,000 you could have a beautiful TEC 180 Fluorite Scope f7 - NEW

Telescope Engineering Company

or how about an APM 180 for €19,100

Teleskop online Shop : TMB APO : Teleskope : Ferngläser : Teleskope online kaufen : APM Telescopes - Verkauf Beratung Herstellung Apochromaten

They also do a Apo 356/4270 CNC- II for a cool €295,000!!!! if funds allow...

A&M produce a 180mm f7 TMB triplet for €17,260

or, finally, you could ask Takahashi to produce another of their FET-300s

Takahashi FET-300 Fluorite Triplet Apochromat

'Price on application' - if you have to ask, you can't afford it....!

My next refractor could be a TEC140, TEC160ED, TOA150 when funds allow - can't stretch to anything bigger.... (money and portability) ;-) and the 'other half' would have my balls.......

Happy shopping!

Damian

Nice 40" scope. Now come on, who wasn't tempted to click the "Buy Now" button ? Could you just imagine the explanation you'd have to give to look at your other half and announce that we might need to move to plain biscuits for a week or so, to fund a $150k scope !

'we might need to move to plain biscuits for a week or so'

Or we might simply 'need to move'.... Had enough trouble getting my dome through the approvals process and taking up a chunk of her flower bed. I think this would be a several bottles of wine/Rohypnol one methinks...

Gorgeous though isn't it. I was thinking the other day about that woman who won £75m on the euromillions. I would SO have one with accompanying dome - And use it for nothing but taking happy snaps of the Moon. 'Cos i'm like that...!!!

Just a quick question. No plans to upgrade, just asking what is the biggest Refractor you can get.

I have seen a SW 150mm refractor, but what is the biggest apeture refractor you can get sub £20k ?

I think the most usable and probably affordable for the majority is in the 150mm to 200mm category.

I had a TOA 130 and it was exquisite, wish I'd never sold it to be honest. My next purchase is likely to be in that range, TEC 160, TOA 150 or AP 160 (if I ever get the call!)

If the numbers come up though, well the skies the limit...:)

Regards, Neil.

Archived