NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

hello everyone

astroscottie

Hello everyone,

My name is Allan and i have been into astronomy for some twenty odd years enjoying all aspects of this subject.

Living in central Scotland i do not enjoy the best skies so i do travel to see the best skies using my trusty 25x100 bino's mounted on a sky raker arm and a heavy duty mead tripod.

Welcome to SGL Allan!

Your skies should be pretty good though when the clouds clear though? I feel for you in the summer months, it's dire down here in the south - must be soul destroying with no darkness.

Hope you have fun here.

Ant

Hi and thanks for the welcome, You would think that skies here would be good but where i live i am 4 miles from an oil refinery large chemical plant, gas plant power station and more, then being less than 20 miles from Glasgow and Edinburgh i have that light pollution to contend with. When the moon is in its new phase and the flare stacks are not working correctly the flames can be up to 1000 ft and on the darkest night you have light that you could almost read by. But i enjoy getting away out into the glens away from it all and enjoying the night sky.:)

hi Allan and welcome,

i also use 25x100 bins on a tripod,

light pollution is such a pain,

its about time the councils started turning the lights down at night,

enjoy the forum its full of great info and people.

regards ron.s.g

Hi Allan from another newbie (2 weeks!)..

Light pollution is a real curse, but travelling around the UK as I do for work, I am encouraged to see more and more streetlights which are energy saving and direct their light downwards.

I think that the climate change drive will force more economical use of energy in the next 10 years and hopefully this will feed through to less lighting of the skies by the wretched sodium lights!

best wishes

Dave in North Leicestershire (surrounded by Leicester, Birmingham, Derby and Coventry :-( ) :)

Tal 100RS on CG-5

Topic 80mm F15 Circle T refractor (1960's, great condition)

Tasco 60mm 14TE refractor (1969, best colour correction I've seen in an non-apo refractor)

8x40 Brantfell 1980 bins

Hi Allan,

Welcome to the forum, you'll find it a great place for all

things Astronomy related. Sounds like quite a pair of binoculars

that you have.

I myself am in edinburgh and just thought I'd let you know that there is a Central Scotland Observers Group (Scottish Astronomers)

and we generally organise a few dark site gatherings during the winter months which might be worth checking out.

Hope you have agreat time here on the forum.

Kathleen

Archived