Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Brrrrrrr it is cold. I hate this hobby.

Catanonia

Only joking....

Need to get the shed built and get the 'WARM ROOM' sorted asap.

If this is June, can't image it imaging Orion in December.

Now onto M31 Adromeda. Taking about 1 hours worth of subs in 20 min slabs.

NO ONE TOLD ME I WOULD GET COLD.....

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This is tee shirt weather :)

Lightweight :headbang:

Its quite balmy compared to some of the winter sessions I have endured... and I would prefer long cold dark nights than short warm light nights...

Defo 'leotard' weather tonight- well shirt anyway! Couldn't really have wished or a much better sky at this time of the year with the milky way easily visible from Cass - through Cygnus & heading towards Scutum, and he Moon out of the way.

Just wished it could have lasted longer but I suppose that, technically speaking, the nights will be getting longer again from now on. :)

I'm in total sympathy with you "catatonia!" (Don't you worry about all those others calling you a "wuss"). There's nothing wrong in not liking the cold!

Although I'm "Northern Born, Northern Bred, Strong in't Arm, and ...... (well you know the rest!" I don't like cold weather observing either!

I was out last night - fleece and bobble hat!

Great observing, and warm as toast (I think I did overdo it, as I did get a bit too warm after an hour).

Keep warm.

philsail1

Wait till you go out in the depths of winter when it's about -15C and when you pack your telescope away, you discover it's covered in frost.

Or cant pack the cables away in the usual box because they so cold they wont bend!

Or find that its so cold that stuff has contracted at different rates and some important piece of kit wont unscrew from another important piece of kit, so you have to leave it on the kitchen tables, dripping wet with melting ice...

20080217_cold2.jpg

I should start thinking about warm weather gear now if I were you Catanonia, cos come the time price's will double.

Mick.G.

Wassat Short , T-Shirts and Flip-Flops....are due for a sudden price increase?

A week or two like Christmas week last year would be awesome... obs didn't rise above -5 for nearly the whole week and was a lot colder at times... best imaging conditions I have had too date...

Didn't you realise something was up when your image went a bit blurry Steve :)

I've been out in -12 before and it's soooo cold you can't feel any of your fingers or toes.

Dew heater was attached (you can just see it under the ADM rail on the right), but this was back when I powered them from 17Ah powertanks. I left the kit running and went to sleep. When I awoke, it was daylight, feezing cold, and the powertank was empty :headbang: ... and the Hyperstar unit had contracted onto the secondary holder, and I couldnt remove it for 2 hours until it had warmed up in the kitchen.

But despite all this, I am still looking forward to winter :)

Only joking....

Need to get the shed built and get the 'WARM ROOM' sorted asap.

Am currently doing that...Have put an old pc in the garage and have it connected to the Watec for live views from the ep on the OTA......The pc is on our wireless network so I can now use a laptop in the house to access what's on the screen on the pc in the garage whilst sitting in my cosy lounge!:).....Total cost= £0, drinking wine,being warm and enjoying the heavens=£priceless...:headbang:

Stef

Nah you got to be out there with it... Warm rooms are for W........ you might as well just have a remote scope on top of a mountain somewhere and get your data delivered direct to the PC...

Multiple layers of clothing and a four seasons sleeping bag...

We get it easy compare to our US cousins... who must be laughing about us talking about low temsp as low as -15....

Peter...

Hmm, I was out "all night" last "night" in a short sleeved shirt - no vest, no jerseys, no jacket - still plenty warm enough, but getting eaten to death by midges. I much prefer -15C to +15C. It's nice when the Sun stays set long enough for you to actually get dark adapted, too.

You need to get your beer jacket on... take some cans out with you next time :) (apologies if you don't drink!)

Leave them in the fridge but tape over the light switch on the door so you don't spoil your night vision when you're getting a can out.

Archived