Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Brrrrrrr it is cold. I hate this hobby.

Catanonia

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hmm, this is a problem. I put an eye mask (the type for sleeping) over one eye to protect my night vision if I ABSOLUTELY have to go inside, usually for a pee. I look ridiculous, but it saves me having to get dark adapted.

It's either that or risk peeing on yourself....

:)

There's nothing better than being outside, wrapped up to the nines in temperatures well below freezing, jet black sky knowing full well it's not going to get light for hours yet. Honestly, nights like those are what it's all about :).

Tony..

On the subject of peeing - next door were having a drunken gathering and one decided to have a pee about two feet from where I was setting up (obviously they didn't know I was there through the thick conifer)1

All you need is a good woolly hat and enormous knickers to keep your kidneys warm.

Just need to buy the woolen hat then...................... :)

We get it easy compare to our US cousins... who must be laughing about us talking about low temsp as low as -15....

Peter...

Afraid you wouldn't last long in a Michigan winter, Catanonia!

I bought my first equatorial mounted scope in the dead of winter and HAD to try it out that night.... even though it was -19F (about -27C). Went out for about 10 minutes a time (until I couldn't move my fingers), then back inside to warm up for a half hour.

BTW last time I was back to visit, there was a big snowstorm in the UK. I was reading the online Telegraph and they reported '9 inch drifts in Oxfordshire'......literally fell off my chair laughing!

Dana

Only joking....

Need to get the shed built and get the 'WARM ROOM' sorted asap.

If this is June, can't image it imaging Orion in December.

Now onto M31 Adromeda. Taking about 1 hours worth of subs in 20 min slabs.

NO ONE TOLD ME I WOULD GET COLD.....

You wait till winter. Russ and I were out in the middle of the New Forrest early January a few years back... -10 I kid you not!. The pictures showed Ice on us as well as the scopes. I lost feeling in my feet and hands.

Great fun!:)

Rob

I can honestly say, hand on heart, that some of my best nights star gazing in winter, with frost all over the ground, have been spent completely naked.

Nothing quite puts you in touch with the Universe and nature so much as going au naturel. I find that I can lie out under the stars for an hour or two like this even in the dead of winter.

Of course, I have a specially adapted open air, naked eye, observatory especially built for this purpose. Only problem after a couple of hours is the wrinkly toes :)

post-14037-133877380955_thumb.jpg

Archived