Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Hello from the heavily light polluted London

Athena

Hello everybody

My name is Athena, I'm unfortunate enough to live in London where one is lucky to see anything below a magnitude of 1 :-( however I spend a great deal of time over in North Wales where the conditions are far more favourable for stargazing.

I have been interested in astronomy since about the age of 6 years, even now, 34 years later it's truly amazing to gaze up into the heavens on a dark, moonless night and ponder at the vast wonders before me. Totally awe-inspiring!

I am currently trying to work out the merits of spending some money on a new scope (please see my thread entitled http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-help/81100-hello.html) or spend it on chasing the 2009 eclipse. Anybody have any thoughts? Total solar eclipses are truly wonderful (I have chased 4) but having a decent telescope would be great too.

Anyway, I just wanted to say hiya and introduce myself.

Thanks for reading

Athena

Hi Athena,

A warm welcome to SGL,hope you enjoy the forum. I have had a look at your other thread and you really are opening an astro can of worms, I could make some helpful suggestions but there are far more experienced forum members than me who could point you in the right direction, remember what Bilbo Baggins said, " Once you step onto the road you have no idea where it is going to lead you ". Have fun.

John.

Welcome to SGL Athena, you'll get plenty of help and advice here, we're a helpful friendly bunch :headbang: Where abouts in North Wales do you stay? The reason I ask is because I'm from South Wales and am looking into a holiday for myself and my partner in the UK some time in the future (little does he knows this is an astronomy holiday and I am only looking at locations with no LP :icon_salut:) and would love to know what you think of the area.

Great to have you on board :cool:

Amanda

Just wanted to say a big thank you to everyone that has given me a warm welcome. I think this will be a great place to hangout :cool:

PS: I decided to buy the NexStar 8 SE (recommended by a friend) and with the money I saved I bought a DMK 21AU04.AS camera. Time for some serious observations / astophotography :headbang: I just need to get my head around registax 5 :icon_salut:

Where abouts in North Wales do you stay? The reason I ask is because I'm from South Wales and am looking into a holiday for myself and my partner in the UK some time in the future (little does he knows this is an astronomy holiday and I am only looking at locations with no LP :cool:) and would love to know what you think of the area.

Great to have you on board :headbang:

Amanda

Hi Amanda

I truly amazed by how many astro-girls there are: I though I was the only one around :icon_salut: Good to know that I'm not that unusual!

Re: North Wales. Generally I stay in Conwy as I love the town, its only a shortish drive then to lots of great dark locations. I'm sure your partner will love the North and appreciate the lack of LP. Remember there's nothing more romantic than a dark, clear starry sky :D

Archived