NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Connecting PHD2 to a SBIG Relay Box

Hi all,

after ten years of honored service, my Atik Titan I was using as the guiding camera, abruptely stopped imaging.

The item is largely outdated and out of production, and it is also difficult to try a repair.

The Titan was coupled to my Losmandy Gemini II mount through a SBIG Relay Box by an ST4 connection. I never considered upgrading my mount to the new GoTo system from Losmandy as I can daily read about difficulties and compliants by many users of this system in a dedicated e-mail chat.

The guiding software is PHD2, the Titan was uploaded by the Atik Gen 3 mono option, while the mount was connected to the SBIG (that is the mount) by the On-camera option appearing in the pull down menu. After doing that, everything worked fine and I enjoyed several imaging sessions and nice DS images.

Following the Titan irreparable failure, I replaced it with a Player One Mars II mono planetary camera, equipped also with an ST4 connection. I had to download the ASCOM platform to upload the Player One camera onto PHD2, since both native and ASCOM driver must be present to make PHD2 find the camera (please, don’t ask me why…).

Troubles were just at the beginning, as I discoverd on the field, and tried to connect the mount to PHD2, as I used to do with the Titan, by selecting the On-camera option: the SBIG Relay Box was not reached by the signal from PHD2 through the ST4 connection of the Player One camera.

My question: somebody knows whether an additional ASCOM driver, or somethimg else, is required also for the On-camera connection? Is there any other useful option in PHD2 pull-down menu to connect PHD2 to the SBIG Relay Box?

Thank you for help and advice,

Cesco

On 01/07/2024 at 09:37, michael8554 said:

Just be aware that the so-called SBIG ST4 standard is far from being a standard.

Check that your ST4 cable is compatible with the Mars II camera.

ST4pinout.jpg.89d02bd4f14f93deeccd596f920fdbb8.jpg

Thank you Michael, that just makes a lot of sense, and I expected something like that. 

You attached the ST4 connection scheme of many cameras but none of Player One Mars....is it so because you didn't find it in the net (info not available) or because you didn't search for it?

Once I will find the Player One ST4 wiring scheme in the net, do you think I will need  to simply change the order of 1-6 wires or change the whole Relay Box (I don't know any firm apart from no more existing old SBIG, )? I already made an intervenction on my SBIG Relay Box consisting in adding a power supply cable at position 6 as the Titan ST4 connector had no power supply outlet....

Best thing would be to buy a new Relay Box compatible with Player One ST4 gasket....do you have any idea where to find it?

I strogly appreciate your response, and will be grateful to you for more precious suggestions.

Best regards

Cesco