SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

UPDATED photo's of my LB Dob.

Doc

Few updated pics showing some of the mods I've done.

I've decided to remove the Allendale Digital Azimuth encoder as it wasn't reliable enough. The manual degree circle works a treat.

The room next to the Wixey is left empty to house a Astrozap dew controller which will power a secondry mirror heater, telrad heater and a new finder.

The gap between the telrad and wixey will house the finder. Not sure which one yet but might be a WO 66.

img0728b.jpg

img0729g.jpg

img0730k.jpg

img0731x.jpg

img0732xgz.jpg

img0733uzj.jpg

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Man, what a beauty, thanks for the pics!

Do you mind me asking what part of the UK you live in? It looks really nice.

From Nottinngham.

Glad you like it....

I love it :)

It sure is John.

Just look at all the observation reports I've made in the observing section. I've seen 45 messier objects with this now and countless NGC objects.

As you can see I've made a few mods but have not gone overboard.

Once again John thankks for selling it to me.

What a beauty. I think the photos needed to be that big in order to appreciate the sheer size of it! I bet you are proud :)

Amanda

It's took me along time to get something like this, so yes I'm chuffed.

Just wish I lived in a darker area.

Mick, If you don't have the likes of photoshop, do a search for a free program called Paint.Net. Its a great free drawing/image editing program. You can quickly resize high res camera pics, Jpeg compress them to a managable file size (ie have 7mbit broadband and those pics took a while to download) and add captions to the images. That saves a lot of descriptive text in the thread. ie. instead of, "See the X a bit to the left of the Y in the pic above the Z......"

Mick, If you don't have the likes of photoshop, do a search for a free program called Paint.Net. Its a great free drawing/image editing program. You can quickly resize high res camera pics, Jpeg compress them to a managable file size (ie have 7mbit broadband and those pics took a while to download) and add captions to the images. That saves a lot of descriptive text in the thread. ie. instead of, "See the X a bit to the left of the Y in the pic above the Z......"

Cheers but this is the first time this has happened. All my other one's have came out fine. maybe I didn't tick the resize button in Imageshack.

For the price they are very good but do have flaws, but they are alot better then your average plossl.

But when you have a scope thats F4.5 this becomes very demanding on eyepieces and the hyperions do show alot of field curvature and coma in about 60% of the FOV. The centre id pretty sharp but the coma gets worse the further out you go.

I don't have enough spare cash at the moment to try a coma corrector but one day hope to get a nagler set of eyepieces and a Paracorr.

I don't have enough spare cash at the moment to try a coma corrector but one day hope to get a nagler set of eyepieces and a Paracorr.

Hi Mick - I was thinkig of that as well, but have been advised against it. The Paracorr is "yet more glass in the way of the image" - true I think but a lot of people Who have large dobs for visual use report that whilst they might improve the edge, they do the centre of the image no favours.

That's not my opinion but that of some people i have come to know with some serious kit

In any case they all mentioned that if you are looking at Coma reduction get a good barlow (apo) and you are nearly there.

Moreover, for visual use, you tend to spend 90% of your concentration in the middle 25-30% of the FOV - despite having access to wider through the EP.

I'm going to try one soon, but based on the laws of physics and what I'm being informed you can have just as much fun without.

Now, if you were imaging......it might be different

Cheers and nice piccies of the monster

It sure looks a class act Doc. A bit of DIY on the Mods. will just personalise it as your scope now.

16" F4.5 in true collimation is an awesome weapon for an

amateur observer, and the sights you see must be tremendous.

I hope you can soon tool it up to give you the best possible service from that huge objective

Ron.:)

The wheel mod was my own design.

basically it's just a 40x20mm steel conduit. The bolts and wing nuts are placed in the lower half of the conduit to enable a 20x20 steel conduit to slide inside the larger one so when I pick the dob up the weight is suppported on the top underside of the 40x20 annd the bolts.

Ron I will be going to SGL5 so you can have a look through it yourself then.

Hi Doc.

What a tremendous 'scope. Something like this is on my wish, wish list.

As an aside, is that the famous Lidl ironing seat I've heard so much about. As you may have guessed I'm in the market for a comfier chair. I tend to baulk at the idea of buying a tubular steel chair for the price of a Televue plossl.

Clear skies.

Dave.

Hi Doc.

What a tremendous 'scope. Something like this is on my wish, wish list.

As an aside, is that the famous Lidl ironing seat I've heard so much about. As you may have guessed I'm in the market for a comfier chair. I tend to baulk at the idea of buying a tubular steel chair for the price of a Televue plossl.

Clear skies.

Dave.

Yes Dave the infamous Lidl Ironing stool.

It's ok but a tad hard to use. To adjust you have to undo and remove black knobs and move shaft up and down then reconnect black knob. A bit of a pita when it's dark.

But it looks good as it's the same colour as the lightbridge.

Archived