Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Why is the sun moving so fast in this solar eclipse video?

therealt

9 hours ago, Space Oddities said:

The clouds are moving, not the sun 🙂 

Ummm so why is it moving much more slowly then suddenly rapidly? Clouds don't move like that and more importantly no other video capturing the same event is similar to this one.

You do realise the footage is likely being filmed handheld with an optically stabilised lens, you can tell from the motion of the footage, the person keeps adjusting the zoom in and out too.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Elp said:

You do realise the footage is likely being filmed handheld with an optically stabilised lens, you can tell from the motion of the footage, the person keeps adjusting the zoom in and out too.

That has zero to do with the motion of what appears to be a slow moving sun suddenly followed by a rapidly moving one. There must be millions of videos of this monumental event that were taken with the same type of device as is here and those videos don't resemble this one. So your "like optically stabilized lens zooming in and out" theory is totally without merit.

Have you even read the video description, it states fast moving sun. It's easy to edit videos to do this to speed up and slow down footage. The point about the OS lens is that the operator is moving to keep the lens centred in the footage, hence you see clouds moving different to how you'd see them if standing still so as per the added comments previously. You can barely see the sun in the image anyway as it's obscured by clouds which will overexpose the shape of the sun.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, therealt said:

That has zero to do with the motion of what appears to be a slow moving sun suddenly followed by a rapidly moving one. There must be millions of videos of this monumental event that were taken with the same type of device as is here and those videos don't resemble this one. So your "like optically stabilized lens zooming in and out" theory is totally without merit.

With due respect, you have joined our forum to ask a question, have been given correct opinion and are now rejecting that, rather bluntly.

The video is clearly a hand held shot of the Sun behind slow moving cloud and the whole image is moving around because the camera is not being held steady. It does look like some form of stabilisation is in use due to the slow ‘swimming’ type motion rather than lots of jiggles. The view is then jumping between various zoom levels so that at times you see the Sun appearing to move more rapidly but it is just a more highly magnified view of the clouds moving past the Sun.

I don’t see the Moon anywhere, but I do see a ghost image of the partially eclipsed Sun moving around at one point. Actually the person filming is not being very sensible as they are likely looking at the Sun and it is not totally eclipse so I hope they are wearing eclipse glasses.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Have you even read the video description, it states fast moving sun. It's easy to edit videos to do this to speed up and slow down footage. The point about the OS lens is that the operator is moving to keep the lens centred in the footage, hence you see clouds moving different to how you'd see them if standing still so as per the added comments previously. You can barely see the sun in the image anyway as it's obscured by clouds which will overexpose the shape of the sun.

No he's not. Look at the point at where the eclipse turns into a full sun about 1:16. It has nothing to do with the photographers movement. The movement of the round bright spot has zero to do with editing.

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

With due respect, you have joined our forum to ask a question, have been given correct opinion and are now rejecting that, rather bluntly.

The video is clearly a hand held shot of the Sun behind slow moving cloud and the whole image is moving around because the camera is not being held steady. It does look like some form of stabilisation is in use due to the slow ‘swimming’ type motion rather than lots of jiggles. The view is then jumping between various zoom levels so that at times you see the Sun appearing to move more rapidly but it is just a more highly magnified view of the clouds moving past the Sun.

I don’t see the Moon anywhere, but I do see a ghost image of the partially eclipsed Sun moving around at one point. Actually the person filming is not being very sensible as they are likely looking at the Sun and it is not totally eclipse so I hope they are wearing eclipse glasses.

"I don’t see the Moon anywhere" that's incorrect. Look at 1:16. You can clearly see the eclipse starting to pass through the clouds. Sorry no one here has given any explanation at all. I know clouds move. That does not explain why it started out slow moving then suddenly rapidly moved later in the video.

5 minutes ago, therealt said:

"I don’t see the Moon anywhere" that's incorrect. Look at 1:16. You can clearly see the eclipse starting to pass through the clouds. Sorry no one here has given any explanation at all. I know clouds move. That does not explain why it started out slow moving then suddenly rapidly moved later in the video.

It happens because the earth is flat…which is obvious to anyone…👍🏻

Sorry but you started it…..😂😂

• Haha 1

You've received the same correct explanations now , from numerous individuals , on both of the most respected astronomy forums on the planet ... 

I fail to see how you are going to be convinced as to the answer as it's obviously not the cranky , conspiracy based , answer you were looking for ... 😉

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

You can see the moon move in front of the sun at about 38-44 seconds IMO.  However, what you are looking for is the tiny sliver of sun and being obscured by a moon right in the dark area at the foot of the lighter bank of clouds.  It is not the whole lit and illuminated area of clouds which I think are distorting the view somewhat - it is easy to miss the tiny sliver of sun in the video and think that it is the larger area of light.   It is also possible that between the zoomed and non-zoomed sections of video some time elapsed between settings where it has been edited together as you can't see the act of zooming between one frame and the next which suggests that a certain possibly blurred section of footage between zoom settings is actually missing.  Since the degree of zoom change between around 38 and 44 seconds I am going to suggest that there is a little editing there as the view changed just to make it look a little tidier which might account for a very small time period.

I think this guy is the one that posted the video and wants it to have as many views as possible.

Edited by JOC

12 minutes ago, therealt said:

You refuse to accept the logical explanations above, because you obviously already made up your mind that something is not right in this video. You now have a bias that makes you discard any explanation that doesn't goes your way.

Have you even considered that the wind can change speed and clouds can go slower or faster? Or that clouds have different altitude and lower clouds appear to move faster due to the parallax effect?

I'm just watching 'Carbon Brush is typing' with utter glee at what is coming hahaha!

2 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

I think the word is persistent ... 😄

• Haha 1

I thought I ought to view the video.
Surpisingly little is said about what appears to be a sliver of something dancing around the sky up to 1 degree away from the bright sun partly obscured by clouds.
I assume this is one (erroneously left visible) component of the many required to create the illusion that is being created for our amazement and wonderment.
To move a large object at this rate it has to be powered by technology and forces beyond our comprehension. Apologies if this is moving the thread on to a different subject.

I assume the boring folks on this forum will use IS lenses, internal reflections, etc as an excuse.🤣

• Haha 3

35 minutes ago, therealt said:

If you mean this green artefact at 1:16 then that is a ghost image of the partially eclipsed Sun, not a real image.

IMG_7657.thumb.jpeg.dd5e1135c757e8dc5084e81fe69fad30.jpeg

Of course there are brief moments when it seems you can actually see the partially eclipse Sun with silhouetted Moon visible, when the cloud cuts the exposure down so it is not over exposed, as here:

IMG_7658.thumb.jpeg.8efc6c656b3b647ca396a3b28b6b6550.jpeg

None of that takes away from the fact that all you are seeing is a partial solar eclipse behind slowly drifting cloud, taken by someone who can’t control exposure nor keep his camera steady. End of.

Now, I have better things to do with my life, like going to play with the traffic so I shall lock the thread to prevent any more nonsense.

• Like 2

• Stu locked this topic
3 minutes ago, Steve Ward said:

And clouds have baffled him before ... 😄

Thanks Steve, this actually made me laugh hard enough to scare the dog.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1