Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Perfect setup

Remarkably there were some clear skies on Thursday night for a couple of hours so I wanted to have a look at Jupiter in the FS-128. Normally I would just put it on the Uni-28/AZ75 for a quick session, but I took the time to put the Planet and AZ100 Goto out as it is noticeably more stable and has the benefit of tracking.

The AZ100 is already quite a lump and adding the motors makes it a little more so, although they do provide additional places to grip the mount by. I can manage the whole lot fully assembled but it is quite a strain so separating the mount from the pillar and tripod makes it a lot more manageable to carry out. This just requires loosening three Allen bolts so it is worth the effort despite requiring three trips, plus eyepiece case.

I guess the main reason for writing this post is really just about how satisfied I am with this setup. Starting with the mount, it is so easy to setup and align, not requiring you to be particularly accurate; just level and point south and away you go. The gotos are near silent, not super fast but fast enough, and very accurate. This production mount certainly feels polished and refined, far more than during the testing phase I was involved with; testament to the amount of work the Rowan chaps put into responding to the feedback given. Alignment with the web app is easy, then switching to SkySafari is seamless giving you limitless targets to choose from.

The scope is also near perfect for me. Somehow I didn’t get on with the LZOS 130 f6, no idea why, but this scope suits me just fine. It is relatively lightweight and manageable, cools quickly given the aperture because it is a doublet, and fitted with the lovely Feathertouch, focus is so much easier to nail than with the standard focuser.

It really does just perform like a larger version of the FC-100; lovely contrast, noticeably more planetary detail and resolving power, and colour free performance visually when in focus. The longer focal length means field curvature is not an issue.

Last night, the seeing was unfortunately not that great, but I persevered just to enjoy a rare clear sky. I started off using the SvBony 3 to 8mm Zoom which gave nice sharp views of Jupiter at the medium settings, within the limits of the seeing. I switched to binoviewers after a while and still find these more comfortable and make floaters much more manageable so the detail is easier to see.

The Moon was pretty shimmery with fine detail fairly hard to see, so I didn’t persevere with it.

I spent more time on M42, switching back to mono viewing for this, trying a range of different eyepieces. The Docter 12.5mm was possibly my favourite for the lovely sharp views but also taking in a decent field of view to show the nebulosity clearly. The E star is just visible with this eyepiece, impressive for only x83 mag I guess. Upping the mag gave me fleeting glimpses of F, would have been easier with better seeing.

A quick flit around M35, Rigel, 32 and 52 Orionis and the Eskimo nebula and that was it before the clouds came over. 32 split ok, like a snowman wearing a very thin black belt 🤪, 52 was just elongated, seeing not up to this one even with a 2.4mm HR in the diagonal.

Having lusted after an FS-128 for years, the reality lives up to the hype, for me anyway. I’m sure scopes like the StellaMira 125mm run it very close and are lighter and more manageable, but for me the character, age and history of the scope is as important as the views. I don’t want to go any larger in a refractor as I doubt I would get as much use out of that, although I have actually used my 150mm f10 PST mod more than I expected, mainly because it is setup downstairs and fairly easy to put out (much to Mrs Stu’s displeasure!)

So, I’m happy with this setup, but like us all I’m just desperate for a few more clear nights so I can get some decent use out of it, and look at something more than just Jupiter, the Moon and M42!!

• Like 13
  • Thanks 3

Hi Stu - it's a great post but could you change the colour scheme ? - I'm seeing it as black text on a dark grey background - hard to see !

Thanks 🙂

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, Saganite said:

I have got a completely black screen, nothing .

I'll spill the beans - Stu's perfect setup is a 1960's Tasco 60mm 😉

• Haha 8

2 minutes ago, Stu said:

🤣🤣🤣🤣 strangely I could see it perfectly!

I’ve reposted it as plain text now, is that any better?

Perfect, thanks Stu 🙂

• Thanks 1

It's so good to read a report from an experienced observer who has found a setup that ticks such a lot of boxes 🙂

Fortunately for @Stu (perhaps) the FS-152 doublets are very, very scarce in the UK.

Great report Stu - I enjoyed reading it 🙂

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Nice report, I have heard only great things about the AZ100 mounts, it seems it handles your 128 with ease, and goto is the icing on the cake. A family member recently printed a second saddle for my starsense phone module which will allow me to take the module off my starsense dob and use it on my alt-az mount with my 128.

• Like 3

I recognise every word @Stu and feel the same with my AZ100, BB planet, and TOA. Just a super satisfying combo that while a bit heavy to get out and setup, is super rewarding and super pleasurable when I do. Everything gets out of the way of observing. 
I just wish I could use it 200 nights per year instead of …mmmh 20. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2