NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Best “cheap/mid range” eyepieces??

6 hours ago, Zermelo said:

If you particularly want a comparable 10mm, you could get a Svbony SV190 10mm UFF (apparently measured as more like 10.5mm).
They have the same 60 degree field as the Starguiders, they're sharp and have a flat field.  The current Amazon price is just under £50, but it's about half that on Aliexpress for the next few days, if you're comfortable going there (that price may not include tax).

I have one of those bought for <£50 and cannot see myself parting with it. 

• Like 1

The best low cost eyepieces that I have used were the Baader Classic Ortho 18mm and 10mm. They have the usual ortho traits of eye relief about 80% of the focal length and a 45 degree sharp AFoV (+ 5 degrees which is less sharp) but for sheer optical quality I reckon you would need to pay a heck of a lot more to get anything better.

Not for glasses wearers though.

Edited by John
  • Like 4

For high power viewing while wearing eyeglasses, the original Vixen LV line is really good.  They come up used for $60 to $70 apiece here in the States quite often.  Some are even cheaper if the rubber eye cup is tearing through from years of folding and unfolding.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Louis D said:

For high power viewing while wearing eyeglasses, the original Vixen LV line is really good.  They come up used for $60 to $70 apiece here in the States quite often.  Some are even cheaper if the rubber eye cup is tearing through from years of folding and unfolding.

I had a couple of LV EPs (7 and 9 mm) and they were superb on planets. I then moved to Pentax XWs (5, 7, and 10 mm) and they have a definite edge, and far wider FOV, but the LVs are great. If you can pick them up for that kind of money, go for them! I now have some SLVs (5, 9 and 15 mm) in a lightweight travel setup, and can't fault them. The only noticeable difference with the XWs  is field of view. Build quality is fine too

6 hours ago, John said:

The best low cost eyepieces that I have used were the Baader Classic Ortho 18mm and 10mm. They have the usual ortho traits of eye relief about 80% of the focal length and a 45 degree sharp AFoV (+ 5 degrees which is less sharp) but for sheer optical quality I reckon you would need to pay a heck of a lot more to get anything better.

Not for glasses wearers though.

Totally agree, John. Except I think the SvBony 3-8 zoom is equally sharp as the BCO range (within its own range of course) and has a slightly wider field of view. I literally just sold my BCOs as the little zoom has made them redundant. Best of all though, is that the zoom very much falls into the budget eyepiece category.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Totally agree, John. Except I think the SvBony 3-8 zoom is equally sharp as the BCO range (within its own range of course) and has a slightly wider field of view. I literally just sold my BCOs as the little zoom has made them redundant. Best of all though, is that the zoom very much falls into the budget eyepiece category.

Indeed: it’s a little wonder 👍🏻

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Roy Challen said:

Each time I pick up and use the Svbony 3-8 zoom I wonder what it's price would have been if it had been produced under, say, Celestron or Meade branding ? 🤔

My guess is that it would be a £200 eyepiece then. Maybe more.

Edited by John
  • Like 3

I have the Svbony zoom too and despite my original reservations, love it. It gives sharp, clear views where you really need clarity: at the short end of focal lengths. Its FOV isn't wonderful and you really need to get close to it as the eye relief is short, but for its price, it's amazing.

• Like 4

+1 for the Svbony 3-8 zoom. I've only used it a couple of times but last time out on Jupiter, albeit with dodgy seeing, it gave views very comparable to my Pentax XW7. The eye relief and FOV isn't great, but it's a nice bit of kit for the money.

• Like 1

I have owned and sold two of them. I can't get on with my face pressed against the eyepiece. I have to be comfortable when viewing the planets for any amount of time. Give me a large eye lens and 70°+ FOV with at least 18-22mm eye relief anyday. I'm more than happy to be the odd one out in this case. Optically though the SV 3-8mm zoom is great.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have owned and sold two of them. I can't get on with my face pressed against the eyepiece. I have to be comfortable when viewing the planets for any amount of time. Give me a large eye lens and 70°+ FOV with at least 18-22mm eye relief anyday.

Same here. I don't like being 'squeezed'. I enjoy observing when the eyepiece is comfortable to use. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I have owned and sold two of them. I can't get on with my face pressed against the eyepiece. I have to be comfortable when viewing the planets for any amount of time. Give me a large eye lens and 70°+ FOV with at least 18-22mm eye relief anyday. I'm more than happy to be the odd one out in this case. Optically though the SV 3-8mm zoom is great.

I have the even more “budget” Svbony 7-21mm zoom and I have similar issues with FOV and eye relief. I sometimes observe wearing glasses (my daughter always). In fact she can’t stand the thing and I get comments like “errr… not that thing” if I go anywhere near it. Although there’s obviously better out there It’s put us both off zoom eyepieces. That and the fact BST StarGuiders (which I have) have proved optically better anyway. 

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

I wear eyeglasses, but find I can use the Svbony 3-8mm zoom while observing planets by pulling back a bit and tilting my head to follow the planet as it drifts through the field of view.  It's not ideal, but it's not a deal breaker, either.  Sure, I have plenty of Pentax XLs/XWs in that range, and they're slightly sharper and more contrasty with long eye relief, but they're also huge in comparison for travel.

4 hours ago, bosun21 said:

I personally don’t think that the weight of XW or Morpheus eyepieces would be any hindrance whatsoever on my travels.

It's the bulk of carrying an eyepiece case for them that does it for me when road-tripping to see eclipses.  It's one more thing to haul in out of the car each night along the way.  With cheap kit, I don't worry about it and just leave them in the car overnight.

• Like 1

Just to update:

I’ve managed to buy second hand BST starguider 25mm and 8mm eyepieces for my daughter from forum members over the last few days.  From the images attached I think this should cover the majority of targets for now (maybe not Jupiter and Saturn).

Thanks again!!

IMG_2082.jpeg

IMG_2079.jpeg

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
32 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

No love for Hyperions?  Look around for used and these aren't hard on the wallet,  particularly given the versatility if used with tuning rings

A Hyperion is a good EP but less so in shorter f/l scopes. I think the Morpheus range is so much better that people go for those and pay a bit extra. I adore all my Morpheus and have no wish to 'upgrade' them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, LondonNeil said:

No love for Hyperions?  Look around for used and these aren't hard on the wallet,  particularly given the versatility if used with tuning rings

I found the Hyperion 24mm a great option in the Mak 127 who's long Fl is very forgiving on eyepieces - it gave the max possible FoV in the Mak (1.04 degrees) giving 63x mag and a nice bright, contrasty image with a good dark background - this was my main galaxy hunter in the Mak and with it, from a mid Bortle 4 site, I  was able to track down most of the Messier galaxies (M109, M77 & M83 still elude me...) as well as delivering superb crisp,  flat-field views on star clusters. 

Might not fare quite so well in your ST however - having said that though, I used the BH24mm regularly in my ST80 and it wasn't too bad - losing focus slightly over maybe the outer 15% of the field but not to a disturbing degree (the Hyperion 31mm Aspheric was quite another story, delivering a massive field in the ST80 but an almost sea-sickness inducing level of aberration!). 

Verdict: Hyperion 24mm definitely a great value option in a long Fl 'scope. 

• Like 2

I thought the Hyperion 24 was great in my f13 Mak, but when I tried it in an ST80 and in a 150PDS (both f5) I thought it was appalling, completely unusable (to my eyes).

• Like 1

Thanks  Mark.

I've lots to learn through yet to have experience!  I got the impression the other day when looking at orion that the stars nearer the outer edge of the view were distorted or out of focus,  this was using the ST, so yes but perfect.   The Hyperions can run as proper 2" eps though,  it's great to unscrew the first lens piece and get all that extra light.... although they said I've not done any comparisons yet so maybe I'm not getting any advantage ..... more learning needed!

Prices though...I just searched,  1 used Morpheus on ebay at £170, probably a fair price for a £250 rrp EP.  I got a set of 4 Hyperion,  plus the case,  from a member here for that. 

Tempted by the Morpheus though tbf 🤣

• Like 1

3 hours ago, LondonNeil said:

Well, they're $169 apiece new in the US, so well above what I would consider as mid-range eyepiece pricing.  I consider $100 apiece pushing that title.

Used, they're going for around $90 +/- $10 here in the US.  I suppose if your budget allows, they would qualify as mid-range when purchased used.

There are also the various Redline 70 degree eyepieces out there as well in that same price range new and used.  The 22mm is excellent.  The rest have varying levels of aberration issues.

• Like 1