Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bargain Refractor Buy of the Year?

My heart missed a beat last night when I saw this for sale..

VixenED102Swt(2).jpeg.0e30ad383221a10a5409071000406eb1.jpeg

I have owned two of the F7.7 versions of this scope and they were both absolutely superb performers. I only sold the last one to help fund my 5" Tak. It went to an SGL friend who still has it and loves it.

VixenED102Swt(1).jpeg.3a27e5ae05e582766c5d52e1d35a8e34.jpeg

At F9, this model is perfect for lunar, planetary and double star observing, as well as on many other celestial objects.

This scope looks like new, yet it will be c 20 years old! When you think that a new F7.7 SD version of this scope is now around £1800 new, this beauty at just £500 is an absolute steal.

I have no connection whatsoever with this sale. So, why have I posted this? Simple. Commenting on an item for sale in the actual For Sale section is not allowed, so in respecting that rule I am posting an opinion here..

Over my 15 years or so of SGL membership, and especially while I was very much still learning about scopes, I have bought several instruments largely due to the honest and believable opinions posted here..all of them turned out to be wonderful scopes.

If anyone reading this wants a top tier performing refractor for a bargain price, I heartily recommend this scope and its' seller, Tim. I have bought several Vixen items from Tim and have been delighted with all of them!

Hope someone can hurry up and grab this beauty!😉.

Dave

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Dave, I have very similar thoughts and I own a ED103 and a SD103, the story why is known here.

The Vixen ED scopes and SD are super and something special, I too have kept looking wondering if the f7.8 to f9 notices, then my finances cough and I continue wondering.

This scope is a true bargain and quite something special.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, F15Rules said:

This scope looks like new, yet it will be c 20 years old! When you think that a new F7.7 SD version of this scope is now around £1800 new, this beauty at just £500 is an absolute steal.

Spot on Dave, this actual scope is from 2003/4 and there are not many of them around. The ED102S F9 and its shorter sibling the ED102SS F6.5 were supplied by Vixen in the 90's but they came with the vintage Vixen hammered green livery. 2003 saw a revamp of Vixen products, to keep them in line with the then new Sphinx range of mounts and so Vixen scopes became white and blue, known as the "wt" range. In 2005 the ED103S F7.7 was introduced which was the precursor of the current SD103S F7.7 and so this 20 year old ED102Swt F9 was only produced for a couple of years which makes it rather scarce. Putting the history aside, judged on it's performance it can hold it's own against any of the higher tier 4" refractors I've had the pleasure of observing through.

ps. Thanks for the plug👍.

Edited by Franklin
  • Like 2

So, I am not the only one utterly astonished that this superb scope has not been snapped up. I seriously considered it but I have the f7.7  ED103 Swt and I could not part with it.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 3

..and John has an ED F6.5 which I know he rates very highly..

John, a head to head between your Tak F9 and Tim's Vixen F9 would be a fascinating one..especially given the "value" differences..

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
  • Like 3

Just now, bosun21 said:

I couldn't take it anymore. I cracked 🥴

It's a fabulous telescope and I'm confident you will be very impressed with it. The reason for the sale was I have the Vixen SD115 and am hopefully moving in the New Year so need to lighten my load.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, Franklin said:

Boo hoo, it's gone now.

Thanks for starting this thread Dave, how much commission do I owe you?😁

We'll chat offline, Tim..😁😁😁

Seriously, I'm glad you sold it, and understand why..in other circumstances I'd have jumped on it.

It's only the the second one I've ever seen for sale in the UK, and the other one was about 10 years or more ago.

Are you still loving your beautiful SD115S Tim?

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Typo
  • Like 1

The scope arrived safely today courtesy of @Franklin’s excellent packaging and padding. I’m literally astounded by the unbelievable condition of the scope. I can easily tell that its been treated with love over its lifespan. Optics also are spotless . Now just need the clouds to disperse. Thanks Tim for an excellent scope and a pleasant transaction.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Looks a beauty, not very familiar with the scope myself. A quick Google showed similar conversations being had (on here 🙂 ) and other sites 16 years ago regarding performance and rarity of 2nd hand scope for sale, just shows  it has stood the test of time. 

Congratulations  @bosun21 on your purchase, Look forward to hearing about the 1st light.

• Like 2