Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jup 1/12

yelsac

As usual the seeing wasn't great down here but you just have to have a go, its addictive. Not in the same ball park as Geofs but I love to see the details coming through on his 👍

I had some trouble with winjup aligning the colour as you can see from the left limb having a shadow, not sure I'm using correctly.

setup- NEQ6, VX12L, Baader 2.25 Barlow, QHY5 462, UV/IR cut

2023-12-01-2312_3-U-IR-Sat_pipp_lapl6_ap83.png.6f3485137c3838415017a234b31eaf0b.png2023-12-01-2123_6-U-IR-Sat_pipp_lapl6_ap82.png.b281663ce659f9d2569db721d7db2acd.png

• Like 9

Excellent images. Lovely details on both. Your colour one has a reddish hue around the whites, you might need to adjust the red (and at the same time the green) to neutralise it.

To remove the left limb artifact you can reduce the LD to 0.6-0.8. That should help.

• Thanks 1

They’re both excellent images.

As Kostas suggests, adjusting the LD value might help, but I’m also wondering whether there was a bit of time gap between some of the captures meaning a lack detail in that region when derotating in WinJupos.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Kon said:

Excellent images. Lovely details on both. Your colour one has a reddish hue around the whites, you might need to adjust the red (and at the same time the green) to neutralise it.

To remove the left limb artifact you can reduce the LD to 0.6-0.8. That should help.

Thanks Kon appreciate your comments, I have to be honest not sure what you mean by LD to 0.6-0.8, what program is that on? 🫣

9 hours ago, geoflewis said:

They’re both excellent images.

As Kostas suggests, adjusting the LD value might help, but I’m also wondering whether there was a bit of time gap between some of the captures meaning a lack detail in that region when derotating in WinJupos.

Thanks Geof

I had 3 two minute avis timed at 8.34 to 8.40 so I'm probably thinking it was down to me not measuring the images exactly the same 🤦

Thanks for the feedback 👍

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Thanks Kon appreciate your comments, I have to be honest not sure what you mean by LD to 0.6-0.8, what program is that on? 🫣

The LD is in Winjupos under the derotation window. It might help but also consider Geof's comment on having enough data for the limb.

image.thumb.png.d083c7d027b0c688641d0981c322c010.png

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Kon said:

The LD is in Winjupos under the derotation window. It might help but also consider Geof's comment on having enough data for the limb.

image.thumb.png.d083c7d027b0c688641d0981c322c010.png

Thanks Kon I'll have a look at that when I get home 👍

I use pipp, autostakkert, registax, image analyser & PS to process.

I see ones talking about fourier transform &
deconvolution which mean absolutely nothing to me are these worth playing with?

I presume they are on AstroSurface a program I'm new to.

1 hour ago, yelsac said:

Thanks Kon I'll have a look at that when I get home 👍

I use pipp, autostakkert, registax, image analyser & PS to process.

I see ones talking about fourier transform &
deconvolution which mean absolutely nothing to me are these worth playing with?

I presume they are on AstroSurface a program I'm new to.

To be honest your processing is excellent with the programs you used and very natural looking. You could switch to Astrosurface after as!3, and any final touches in PS. I. Astrosurface you could do the wavelets and deconvolution simultaneously.

(I prefer colour balance in Registax and then move to Astrosurface).

• Like 2

Thanks again for your advice Kon.

Your last couple of images showed good detail but we're also processed softly enough to show the gas giant as just that. Just wondered what tools you & Geof used to get the balance between detail & soft appearance?

Really appreciate all the feedback given by all on here, it's so helpful in trying to improve the end result 👍

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Just wondered what tools you & Geof used to get the balance between detail & soft appearance?

Honestly that's been one of my biggest struggles recently. For the final version of my Jupiter image from 1 Dec, I tried something that I picked up from one of Damian Peach's Patreon tutorials, which was to layer a blurred version on top of the fully sharpened version in Affinity Photo (Damian uses Photoshop, but the principle is the same), then use the opacity slider to blend the two to taste. I then used some regional sharpening to bring back the detail in selected parts of the image, e.g. the northern polar region, whilst leaving the equatorial regions softer. This approach seemed to strike that balance between detail and smoothness that I'd been stuggling to obtain.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Thanks again for your advice Kon.

Your last couple of images showed good detail but we're also processed softly enough to show the gas giant as just that. Just wondered what tools you & Geof used to get the balance between detail & soft appearance?

Really appreciate all the feedback given by all on here, it's so helpful in trying to improve the end result 👍

To chime what Geof said, it has been something we have been discussing and play/struggled with our data to get this balance. We have some good images and going soft we lose the details. In my last post, I made a sharper and a softer version which I mixed as luminescence in Gimp until I got the desired effect that's not looking 'crunchy' as how Geof @geoflewisdescribed some of my versions but that's the fun of honest feedback. That way I could preserve some of the details.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, geoflewis said:

Honestly that's been one of my biggest struggles recently. For the final version of my Jupiter image from 1 Dec, I tried something that I picked up from one of Damian Peach's Patreon tutorials, which was to layer a blurred version on top of the fully sharpened version in Affinity Photo (Damian uses Photoshop, but the principle is the same), then use the opacity slider to blend the two to taste. I then used some regional sharpening to bring back the detail in selected parts of the image, e.g. the northern polar region, whilst leaving the equatorial regions softer. This approach seemed to strike that balance between detail and smoothness that I'd been stuggling to obtain.

Interesting....

Blending one over the other that actually makes perfect sense.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but how do you do regional sharpening? Is it a case of selecting an area in gimp/PS & just adjusting that particular part of the image?

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, yelsac said:

Interesting....

Blending one over the other that actually makes perfect sense.

Forgive my lack of knowledge but how do you do regional sharpening? Is it a case of selecting an area in gimp/PS & just adjusting that particular part of the image?

Yes exactly that. Place a feathered raster over the region you want to sharpen.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Barv said:

These look fine to me. Nice and soft with detail. I'm wondering how well you nailed focus on the colour one though

Appreciate the comment 👍

You could be right my eyes aren't great at achieving accurate focus, although I did soften the image quite a bit in image analyser.

I really love the help you guys provide many thanks

• Like 1