Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Crazy telescope Rollercoaster.

I've just been reminiscing about all the scopes I've owned over the years and thought I'd share my list of acquisitions here. It just goes to show what a powerful hold the telescope can have on someone, possibly more addictive than astronomy itself.

So in order, between 1980 until now:

40mm table top tasco refractor.

60mm Astral refractor

12×60 binoculars

150mm F5 home made dobsonian

100mm F10 Cosmotron achromatic refractor

200mm F10 Maksutov Cassegrain

150mm F3 Schmidt Newtonian

102mm F13 Vixen achromatic refractor

150mm F13 Scmidt Cassegrain

115mm F8 Schmidt Cassegrain

120mm F8.3 achromatic refractor

150mm F8 achromatic refractor

128mm F8.1 Fluorite apochromatic refractor

102mm F5 SW StarTravel

15x70 Celestron binoculars

152mm F8 Fluorite apochromatic refractor

TV NP101 IS refractor

15x70  Celestron binoculars

120mm F8 SW ED refractor

120mm F8 SW Equinox ED refractor

Antares 105mm F14 achromatic refractor.  (I almost forgot about this lovely scope, but it now has its place on the list).

100mm SW ED refractor

120mm F8 Equinox ED refractED80

80mm Equinox ED refractor

100mm F7.4 Fluorite apochromatic refractor

200mm F6 Newtonian 

4.5" F8 Newtonian (current)*

100mm F8 Fluorite apochromatic refractor (current)*

Coronado PST (Current)*

TV 101 SDF refractor

Sky90 Fluorite apochromat

SW 72mm ED refractor (cerrent)*

60mm F12 Carton achromat (current)*

10X50 Nikon Binoculars (current)*

128mm F8.1 Fluorite apochromatic refractor (current)*

150mm F5 Newtonian (current)*

I think that's it, though I may have forgotten some. Ultimately thousands of pounds have poured like water through my fingers, which may otherwise have been spent on pizza and Indian Takeaways, so in that sense, telescopes can have major health benefits. Some people would think I'm crazy; may be you're one of them? Or may be you're just as crazy, or even a real straight jacket case?

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 10
  • Haha 5

That is some list Mike !

I have been through a similar amount but I think the quality of yours have been on the whole, better.

It's a bit crazy isn't it ? 🤪

(fun though, but don't tell anyone 😉)

• Like 1

I have owned a lot of scopes. not as many as Mike. But only have half of Mike's time for 'serious' scope spending.
Another difference here is that I have forgotten quite a few.
Maybe I ought to start making a list?
Now if we add mounts & eyepieces into the lists......

• Haha 1

Wow, that's some list, and I concur, it's just like water if you're thirsty for it. I could have acquired an AP or equivalent (if I were lucky) and still have change left over for everything else.

The hobby should come with a w(health) warning. Or you know, learn to sit on your hands or something.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Knighty2112 said:

Wow! You remembered all these scopes over the years? Me probably would have forgot a few of them! 🤣🤣🤣

That's because the sand in the hour glass is running out fast these days, so I can remember the distant past much more easily than I can remember what I did yesterday. I'll remember yesterday in a year or two!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

4 hours ago, Franklin said:

Wow!

I notice out of all the fluorite ota's you've had over the years, the FS-128 is the one you've got again!

That's true. I loved my original FS128 and regretted letting it go, but I got greedy and grabbed a FS152. I've had some of my most enjoyable observing experiences however with scopes around 4" aperture. They are quick and easy to use, and for me at least they are great performers. I'd never want to be without a 4" refractor. 

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Whatever happened to that one?

They made an F15 102mm back in the day as well, a 1.5m long beast!

The F13 Vixen was amazing! It gave me the best view of M82 that I've ever had through any telescope, but my skies were significantly clearer back then. I bought it second hand and couple of years ago I met with its first owner, who said that letting it go for a bigger reflector was one of his biggest regrets. I sold it to fund college books. Thick or what!?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, John said:

That is some list Mike !

I have been through a similar amount but I think the quality of yours have been on the whole, better.

It's a bit crazy isn't it ? 🤪

(fun though, but don't tell anyone 😉)

It's definitely been fun John and there's very little that I regret. I've been so fortunate to have had so many wonderful scopes, and also a few wonderful friends who have shared the fun along the way. And a wonderful wife who understood my need for toys despite me vowing that each scope would be the last I'd ever need. I bet I'm not alone in making such promises. 

• Like 4

Great list. At least you let some go (though from the list I can see at least one mistake rectified at a later date). My issue is after the first (my dad’s 10x50 bins) instrument, I only let the next two move on (a 4.5” Newtonian which wasn’t great, and an excellent 8” Newt on a simple alt-Az) and the rest are still mine.

• Like 1

Aside from my Sears 60mm refractors that I sold 50 or so years ago, I've only sold a 90mm Mak.  But I do have an ST120 sitting on the shelf gathering dust that eventually has to go.  Could probably sell my ST80 too since I have a newer 72ED now. 

My dark secret is I've been eyeing a 60mm RACI finder to convert to a mini grab-n-go like my 50mm RACI conversion.  But then I guess I'd have to sell the 50mm.  😄

• Like 1