SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Asiair pro power outlets for DSLR

Hi, 
Thinking of getting the Asiair pro whenever they come back into stock but wondered about the voltage output for dslr, it states that it’s12v but would that not need to be stepped down to 7.5v for dslr. 
im wondering if the Pegasus power box micro with Stellarmate might be a better option as the dedicated power box is controllable. 
I tried Ekos a couple of years back and had nothing but problems but tried again last night and was amazed at how slick it was, best guiding and first time plate-solvingwas effortless. 
I have the original zwo  120mm  so reluctant to get a new one unless I have too. Has anybody been using the new advanced or micro  power boxes either stellarmate?

Thanks

Campbell

The original ZWO120mm USB2 (not the mini or new usb3) has some issues with Linux, even has a warning in the Asiair Pro manual about it. Your DSLR probably would need a dummy battery to feed in the 7.5v and you'd need a step-done voltage adapter if using the Asiair power (12v fixed not adjustable).

Ig going the Asiair route then be aware of the restriction for using all ZWO gear (except the DSLR) and the weak wi-fi due to the metal casing and small Raspberry Pi onboard wifi aerial. You can soon run out of usb ports and need extra power so a Pegasus unit would be a good idea to handle extra usb and DSLR power. Just not contollabel via the Asiair.

Stellarmate/Astroberry with a Pegasus are good alternatives, especially for those with good non ZWO gear. And in a user selected case for the Raspberry PI would fare a bit better on wifi.

Thanks, 

The classic zwo120mm seems to be working fine at the moment running ekos on Pop os, I understand you need the new version as a minimum on the asi. 
The asiair pro is 4gb ram so was planning on the 8gb option if going the stellarmate route. I use the dummy battery route at the moment with a plug in adapter but need to get away from the hanging plugs and long cables.

On Flo site it says that the asiair has a “lightweight” power distributor so wanted to know if the Pegasus would be better as I want to run the heq5 through it. 
some people do it with the asi but if it’s lightweight will that be reliable. 

Edited by sulaco

You'll read many saying they power their mount fine from the Asiair (AAP), which some can do because they are not using too many power hungry devices at the same time.  The AAP can take 12v 6A max input and can share that via the power ports - but using dew heaters and the more power deamnding cameras can leave the 12 outputs a little short. Hence, others would say use a separate mount power supply, as would I.

Pegasus units that come up on Astrobuysell don't stay unsold very long so would be a wise buy if they solve the camera power, and usb shortcomings, of any of the AAP/AB/Stellarmate. Just gets a little expensive if you need power for focusers too.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sulaco said:

The Pegasus would take care of the focuser power wouldn’t it? The AAP should be able to power the focuser also. 

The focuser may need a dedicated focuser port and power, new focuser units have a usb & power connections.  Only the premium Pegasus have the special focuser port, for Moonlite, Lakeside etc.

On 20/02/2021 at 19:02, StevieDvd said:

The focuser may need a dedicated focuser port and power, new focuser units have a usb & power connections.  Only the premium Pegasus have the special focuser port, for Moonlite, Lakeside etc.

Thanks for the feed back, it was a great help. Decided to go the stellarmate route as I think having the separate power unit is more dependable and I like options with ekos.