Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

The Nessie Nebula - wide field

gorann

When I recently imaged the Loch Ness Monster with my dual-RASA8 rig (link below), my Samyang 135 was sitting on top and this is what it caught during three hours (= until Microsoft decided to update the laptop running the camera). Yet, I am quite pleased about all the dramatic nebulosity it caught, including NGC 6820. No filter so pure RGB.

Camera: Omegon veTEC 571C. 60 x 180 min.

20230917 LDN768 SY135 PS18smallSign.jpg

• Like 14

4 hours ago, glafnazur said:

I really like that Goran, super colours and a myriad of stars.

Is that open cluster just behind Nessie NGC 6802? Actually Nessie looks more like a Brachiosaurus to me :) 

Thanks a lot! Not sure about that cluster - plate solving in Astrobin is out of function right now. Maybe a Brachiosaurus. Here is my favorite Brontosaurus candidate:

https://www.astrobin.com/kln87d/

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

A lovely image of the wee lassie 👍

3 hours ago, maw lod qan said:

Wonderful image!

I had noi idea it even existed!

Thanks a lot guys! I am surprised how many seems to have missed this object.

8 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

That widefield image is something else Goran, well done indeed 👌   A diplodocus travelling through space

43 minutes ago, simmo39 said:

Great image.

Thanks a lot guys! @wimvb just pointed out that the Coat Hanger asterism is at the bottom of the image (upside down since I turned the image to get Nessie's head upwards)

12 hours ago, gorann said:

Thanks a lot guys! @wimvb just pointed out that the Coat Hanger asterism is at the bottom of the image (upside down since I turned the image to get Nessie's head upwards)

The Coathanger is always upside down, so the image orientation is as it should, and Nessie won't get a headache. The image solver on Astrobin also shows that the image orientation is as it should. On AB, the dot on the red rectangle in the sky plot indicates the upper left corner of the image

https://www.astrobin.com/lak9k2/#sky-plot