Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron X-Cel LX Eyepieces

sojourneyer

I think they're great eyepieces at their price point, I have had a few of them and the 9mm practically lives full time in my Lunt. Eyepieces in general are probably THE most subjective piece of gear we use, what works for me may not work for another, I have had nothing but pleasant experiences with them.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Good eyepieces for the price. I did experience some sagittal astigmatism at the edges especially noticeable when observing the Double Cluster with the 18mm and a dobsonian telescope. However, it might work better with your configuration. I don't recommend the 5mm one, the view was simply not good.

I have the full set apart from the 2.3mm. I find them to be great considering the ~£90 price tag. I tend to use mine with my 4" mak, because focussing that instrument is pretty fiddly, and these eyepieces are pretty much parfocal so I don't have to faff with much refocussing when switching eyepieces.

Edited to add: also, for me at least, the ability to get a set of decent 1.25" eyepieces across a useful range of focal lengths for relatively little cost means I save my budget for the nicer 2" eyepieces I'm trying to assemble for my better 'scopes that accept 2" eyepieces. 

Edited by JBadger
Add another sentence

2 hours ago, JBadger said:

I have the full set apart from the 2.3mm. I find them to be great considering the ~£90 price tag. I tend to use mine with my 4" mak, because focussing that instrument is pretty fiddly, and these eyepieces are pretty much parfocal so I don't have to faff with much refocussing when switching eyepieces.

Edited to add: also, for me at least, the ability to get a set of decent 1.25" eyepieces across a useful range of focal lengths for relatively little cost means I save my budget for the nicer 2" eyepieces I'm trying to assemble for my better 'scopes that accept 2" eyepieces. 

You only really need 2 inch format eyepieces for longer focal lengths and wide angles of view. 2 inch eyepieces are not inherently any better in performance than 1.25 inch ones, other than being able to offer a wider view because the wider barrel can accommodate a larger field stop diameter.

Edited by John
  • Like 5

2 hours ago, John said:

You only really need 2 inch format eyepieces for longer focal lengths and wide angles of view. 2 inch eyepieces are not inherently any better in performance than 1.25 inch ones, other than being able to offer a wider view because the wider barrel can accommodate a larger field stop diameter.

I don't understand why you felt the need to explain this to me? I didn't say 2" is inherently better than 1.25" nor did I ask to be told what eyepieces I do or don't need, thanks.

10 minutes ago, JBadger said:

I don't understand why you felt the need to explain this to me? I didn't say 2" is inherently better than 1.25" nor did I ask to be told what eyepieces I do or don't need, thanks.

I misunderstood the 2nd paragraph of your previous post so tried to post some helpful information. 

Sorry about that.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

No need to apologise, John, the information you posted is still useful for anyone else reading the thread who might be wondering about 2" EPs.

2" EPs certainly aren't always better.

My plossls are probably the clearest and sharpest EPs I have, you just can't fit much in them!

I had the 7mm and still have the 5mm X-Cel LX EPs and they were very decent EPs in my 'scopes. :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 28/09/2023 at 15:36, JBadger said:

Rude

• Like 3

I  have 7, 9  & 18mm all purchased used   for around £60,  lenses all clear no dust or specs showing  in them. 

I was looking at the 24mm uff for a lower power ep with wider view until I saw the 25mm xcel lx, new  on Aliexp delivered for < £57.  Seller had a sale on  - £6 and I  used coupert to get a further discount of another £6 off the total price.

Edited by Naughty Neal
  • Like 1

19 hours ago, Naughty Neal said:

I  have 7, 9  & 18mm all purchased used   for around £60,  lenses all clear no dust or specs showing  in them. 

I was looking at the 24mm uff for a lower power ep with wider view until I saw the 25mm xcel lx, new  on Aliexp delivered for < £57.  Seller had a sale on  - £6 and I  used coupert to get a further discount of another £6 off the total price.

If u ever get the chance of a uff 24, get it. The uff are on another level, I use them in my big bins and my dob, they are superb. 

• Like 2

On 19/10/2023 at 16:58, bomberbaz said:

If u ever get the chance of a uff 24, get it. The uff are on another level, I use them in my big bins and my dob, they are superb. 

Thanks Steve, they are in my shopping cart, we have similar bins, I was going to text you but you just answered my question... :) 

1 hour ago, Coco said:

Thanks Steve, they are in my shopping cart, we have similar bins, I was going to text you but you just answered my question... :) 

Mine came with an 18mm pair supplied so I bought 10 & 24 to supplement them. I also got some 30mm plossl but these were purchased for the exit pupil size (5mm) as they work well with nb filters. Next I got some 8mm starguiders as these offer the highest recommended useable magnification (x58) without dodging into CA territory of plus 60 but have to say the 24,18 &10 get most usage. The 8's may yet go. 

• Thanks 1

Probably a bit late to the party here but I have a pair of 9mm X-Cels and I think they are excellent for their price. I use them in my WO binos and they are a perfect weight and size, not adding too much weight. The twist up eye guards are the best I've encountered thus far, I just find it a very satisfying mechanism! Oh, and I think the view through them is very good also 😄

What has been your experience in using them so far sojourneyer?