Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tak FC100 - What tripod?

Littleguy80

I’m using my Tak FC100DF with Giro-WR mount and 3 Legged Thing Billy Carbon Fibre mount. I do notice the view bouncing around a bit at higher powers. It can be a pain for getting focus right as a result. I think the mount should be fine with the scope so that leaves the tripod as the weak link. Berlebach seems the obvious choice but which one? There’s the Report 312, Uni 18 or Uni 28 which all seem like they should be suitable. Any suggestions/advice on which one or even other tips and tricks for making things a bit more stable. 

What’s the payload of your current tripod? I’ve looked at the SL Carbon Fibre tripod and that says 40kg. I guess there’s quite a large difference between holding the scope and keeping it still, mind.

When I contacted FLO about a tripod for the Tak 76Q (~2kg, 900mm) they said the 312 and Castor mount would be a great fit. 

The DF is slightly heavier than the DC I think, but OTA length is also important. I’m thinking of swapping my steel SW tripod for a Berlebach and to cover all bases think I’d go sturdier than the Report, as have a 5kg 4” frac too.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, John said:

I use a Uni 28 with my F/9 FC100-DL plus either the Skytee II or Ercole mount.

Might be overkill for the F/7.4 FC though ?

Yeah, though I will dual mount with my Daystar Solar Scout 60mm. That’s not adding a lot of weight but might make the Uni 28 more worthwhile? Equally, it’s nice to have something lighter and easy to move around to find the gaps in the trees when necessary 

38 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

From memory it’s quoted at 16Kg so in theory it’s fine. I guess the key thing now is vibration damping which is probably where a wooden tripod would come in. 

Think it was the late, great Johninderby that used to say half or even third a tripod max capacity for great stability. 

I may take a punt on the StellaLyra carbon fibre and see how it fares with AZ75 and 76Q!

• Like 1

I probably don't need a Uni 28. It's never used anywhere near it's full height. At the time I bought it I thought that I might have a really long refractor at some point but, so far, that has not happened.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

Perhaps, if the provision exists, hang a weight from the underside of the tripod. I have found that helps keep vibrations under control in windy conditions.

Good idea. Hadn’t thought of that. It does have a hook on the bottom of central column 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hi Neil,

I mounted my FC100 , when I had it, and my Vixen ED103S, which is heavier, very successfully on a UNI 18. Superb and very solid.

32 minutes ago, John said:

I probably don't need a Uni 28. It's never used anywhere near it's full height. At the time I bought it I thought that I might have a really long refractor at some point but, so far, that has not happened.

Thanks both. Definitely seems like the 18 will be the better match

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DirkSteele said:

Perhaps, if the provision exists, hang a weight from the underside of the tripod. I have found that helps keep vibrations under control in windy conditions.

A couple of dumbbells in a bag helped a lot. Just had to make sure it sure they touched the ground. Otherwise the view swirled as the  bag moved making it like observing after one too many beers. 

• Like 2

I don't think a Report would cut it. Depending on the model, it probably won't be sufficiently tall, stable, or either.

The UNI would be good. The wooden surveyor-style tripod sold by FLO would also do the trick nicely if it's compatible with your mount.

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 2

Uni 28 upgrade for a Manfrotto 535 Carbon Fibre 2-Stage Video Tripod with a GR Ercole and 100DF.

High power the manfrotto just couldn't quite manage but the Uni is solid as a rock. Though it subsequently highlighted the need for a counter weight on my GR Ercole to smooth it out.

There's no substitute for mass or rigidity. Pick one or the other but don't compromise.

• Like 2

You could consider a thick leg section Innorel CF tripod. I haven't done a side by side test but whilst imaging where sturdiness, stability and dampening are critical it performs similarly to my Uni 4.

• Like 1

Do bear in mind whether you sit or stand to observe.
Uni 18 would be nice sitting, the Uni 28 may be just a touch tall for many.

Interesting that you are going through these thoughts at present,
I was mulling over similar for the Vixen 103, but its on hold just for the minute.

Good luck in whichever way you go.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I have my FC100DF on a Uni18 and AZ75 and it is perfect, I leave the tripod fully down but have one of the Rowan extensions on it so it is very sold and no vibrations, I observe sitting on a BB chair and find this a great height for me. I used to have it on a Vixen APZ and Hal Tripod and that was very stable as well and the Hal is very light if you leave everything setup for G’n’G.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...
On 09/09/2023 at 14:07, Saganite said:

Here you go Neil a Uni 18 . This is what you need  This set was excellent.....🙂

IMG_0745.JPG

Hi @Saganite! A belated question on this, what’s the column extension you’re using please? The basic SkyWatcher one I have has an issue so I’m thinking of replacing it. Thank you!

6 minutes ago, Saganite said:

Hi Neil,

Sorry for the late reply, I have been lucky with a clear sky all evening.

I will check it out and let you know tomorrow. 

Cheers

Steve

Thanks Steve. This is definitely less important than enjoying a clear sky!