Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Motivations

Xilman

How many people here make observations in order to do what may loosely be called "science"'? That is, to discover something new or to measure something already known in order to characterize its behaviour better?

I have absolutely nothing against people doing astronomy for the fun of it or to produce aesthetically pleasing images. Indeed, I do that myself.

Nonetheless, that is not enough for me. I measure the brightness of things and, if they are moving, their positions. I look for changes from what is expected to be seen in the images I take. I often wonder if I am a fish out of water, or just differently weird.

So I repeat: how many people here do scientific astronomy?

• Like 3

The answer for me is no. BUT, I was doing some EAA a few years back, and captured a few galaxies in one night. A supernova was discovered in one of those galaxies soon after, and it turns out I had captured it before the official discovery date, but obviously never reported it as I didn’t know it was there at the time! So now I check all my EAA galaxy images for supernovae - science of a sort! 

• Like 2

I'm purely a "sky tourist". I observe as a form of relaxation. I usually have some ideas of possible targets but quite easily get distracted if something else catches my attention.

I'm happy to leave more systematic and scientific observation and recording to others.

Edit: I ought to add that I do get more organised when it comes to outreach. I really enjoy this aspect of astronomy and I make an effort plan things to ensure that folks get to see some of the best sights around at the time of their session.

Edited by John
  • Like 5

I'm another sky tourist.  The last year of observing (I think it's about a year since I started) has also been learning astronomy.  I've really enjoyed getting a feel for the kit and understanding the details.  I'm not contributing science but I'm certainly getting a better understanding of some aspects, although little of it has been space itself.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RobertI said:

The answer for me is no. BUT, I was doing some EAA a few years back, and captured a few galaxies in one night. A supernova was discovered in one of those galaxies soon after, and it turns out I had captured it before the official discovery date, but obviously never reported it as I didn’t know it was there at the time! So now I check all my EAA galaxy images for supernovae - science of a sort! 

What a shame! You could have made your name in the wider scheme of things.

Better luck next time.

• Thanks 1

I also like to measure things but I’m realistic enough to know that it’s only of interest to me. With a few minor exceptions I’m inclined to think that the days of amateur astronomers doing much in the way of useful science, have gone. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Richard N said:

I also like to measure things but I’m realistic enough to know that it’s only of interest to me. With a few minor exceptions I’m inclined to think that the days of amateur astronomers doing much in the way of useful science, have gone. 

In that case we very strongly disagree. The professionals do not have anywhere near enough telescope time to measure everything of interest.  Just one example: timing exoplanetary transits is almoe entirely performed by amateurs and yet their results are vital for planning future satellite missions.

There are many other fields in which amateurs play a vital role because professionals just do not have the resources.

Please report your measurements to the relevant organization(s).

Certainly when I was studying I did. Photometry of T-Tauri stars was my astrophysics masters project. But now I like to just admire the beauty of the universe. Which for me at least, is further enhanced by having a deeper understanding of what I am looking at and what physical processes have resulted in what I am seeing. Perhaps one day I might do something more serious   Again, but I would want a permanent observatory to do that.

• Like 5

For me it's just for the joy and sense of wonder.  Even just getting out under big wide dark and starry skies is good for the soul.  I go down near a marsh on the coast, and the sounds of the birds and waves add to the sense of peace.

Poor seeing and clouds often ruin the whole experience of course 😂

• Like 2

I don’t think I have done any “proper science” but I have tried to capture the jet from 3C 273, the JWST heading out to L2, and produce an animation of the M1 pulsar, but these are more technical exercises in how far the setup can be pushed to it’s limits. These experiences have been equally if not more satisfying than producing Astro images.

• Like 3

Getting a UKMON camera and so contributing to the citizen science project of meteor detection is my daily activity. My name gets listed in the papers that are published. You have to look for it as there are around 250 cameras active in the UK and with the availability of Raspberry pi's more names will be added this year for sure.

• Like 3