NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Jupiter August 10th first of the season.

Space Cowboy

After taking notice of the fawlty forecast (met office app) and not going out the previous morning I was determined to try today and had success!

First Jupiter of the season and first time with the QHY 585c. Washed the primary at the weekend for the first time for over 10 years so was keen to see if I'd put everything togather properly.

Seeing was very stable and I started at 4am UT. Didn't set the ADC as I was rushing and cloud was forecast as day broke.

2 quick stacks of random shots from each end of the session (about 25 mins before it was too light).

Auto Dob 250 with QHY 585c & 2x ultima plus extension and ADC (set at neutral)

4,01 UT & 4.19 UT (2 min captures).

2023-08-10-0401_1-SJG-L-Jup_lapl5_ap20 reg analy.png

2023-08-10-0419_6-SJG-L-Jup_lapl5_ap20 reg analy.png

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 20

Very nice images and colour balance Stuart. It seems both the mirror cleaning and the new camera are performing nicely. I assume you will be stacking a few images later on.

Seeing was fantastic this morning. I have loads of captures to go through later tonight.

1 hour ago, Kon said:

Very nice images and colour balance Stuart. It seems both the mirror cleaning and the new camera are performing nicely. I assume you will be stacking a few images later on.

Seeing was fantastic this morning. I have loads of captures to go through later tonight.

Thanks Kostas. It was similar to June on Venus at least 8/10 for stability.

Yes I'll be sorting the wheat from the chaff later and using winjupos on a few stacks.

Look forward to seeing your images! Let's hope we get this seeing at opposition!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, morimarty said:

They are superb images Stuart. They have a great colour balance lots of contrast and plenty of detail showing not over sharpened too. A brilliant first outing of the season.

Cheers! I like to go for the natural look. Like peeling a ripe orange the fruit should emerge without too much force if seeing is good. 😉

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Kostas. It was similar to June on Venus at least 8/10 for stability.

Yes I'll be sorting the wheat from the chaff later and using winjupos on a few stacks.

Look forward to seeing your images! Let's hope we get this seeing at opposition!

Indeed the seeing was excellent this morning. Even Saturn was good at 330am. The high elevation is really helpings us.

32 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

This could be the best one taken at 4.14 ut :

I think my best captures were a bit later at ~445 as at around 4 i could not get a very sharp focus; maybe some passing unstable seeing. But as you said not a hint of atmospheric disturbance. Looking forward to your derotated images.

• Like 2

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

Think  I prefer this version using 1.5x drizzle and combining 2 stacks in winjupos.

2023-08-10-0410_0-SJG-L-Jup_lapl5_ap20_Drizzle15 winjup best.png

Dare I say the details in the very first of your images is sharper, details are easier to see.

1 minute ago, Sunshine said:

Dare I say the details in the very first of your images is sharper, details are easier to see.

For sure the detail is more prominent but when I looked at them on my big monitor the detail looks too bloated and they are quite noisy. Quite often what looks great on my laptop looks rough on my pc 🙂

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Space Cowboy said:

Think  I prefer this version using 1.5x drizzle and combining 2 stacks in winjupos.

I agree with Martyn above that the 414 is much better in terms of details. From my experience, drizzling usually has a negative effect and I cannot get back as much details. It will be interesting to see your combined derotated images without the drizzle.

The edge rind on the left can also be tidied in registax with deringing bright side option (just a very min-mild level)

5 hours ago, Kon said:

I agree with Martyn above that the 414 is much better in terms of details. From my experience, drizzling usually has a negative effect and I cannot get back as much details. It will be interesting to see your combined derotated images without the drizzle.

The edge rind on the left can also be tidied in registax with deringing bright side option (just a very min-mild level)

For sure as Martyn says 4.14 is the pick of the litter.  I still prefer the drizzle version on my big screen though for sure the others look better scaled down. That fine whispy detail is what I'm looking for as Jupiter is a gas planet and some images lose that gaseous feel if the detail is coarser.

This is a winjupos combo of 4.05 and 4.14 without drizzle. Much smoother than the single shots but I still prefer the drizzle 😉

I'll check that registax feature thanks Kostas!

post-123139-0-70062900-1691742949.png

Edited by Space Cowboy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

For sure as Martyn says 4.14 is the pick of the litter.  I still prefer the drizzle version on my big screen though for sure the others look better scaled down. That fine whispy detail is what I'm looking for as Jupiter is a gas planet and some images lose that gaseous feel if the detail is coarser.

This is a winjupos combo of 4.05 and 4.14 without drizzle. Much smoother than the single shots but I still prefer the drizzle 😉

I'll check that registax feature thanks Kostas!

post-123139-0-70062900-1691742949.png

I think that's a lot better even on big screen. It has a lot more details and still being subtle.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Kon said:

I think that's a lot better even on big screen. It has a lot more details and still being subtle.

Thanks Kostas. Just been looking at a Jupiter shot I took back in 2012 when Jup was at opposition and at over 50 degrees elev. Quite encouraged to see how close this new image is detail wise considering its over 2 months to oppostion :

Jupiter August 10th 2023.png

Jupiter Dec 1st 2012.png

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Thanks Kostas. Just been looking at a Jupiter shot I took back in 2012 when Jup was at opposition and at over 50 degrees elev. Quite encouraged to see how close this new image is detail wise considering its over 2 months to oppostion :

Indeed, very encouraging. Excellent image from nearly 11 years ago. No wonder you have the eye for smooth processing.

• Like 1