NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Globular cluster NGC 6712

Xilman

N6712a.png.000bf912f6cdabba169e9689c8180c90.png

Finally managed to get some images last night after several months. Most were of variable stars and asteroids for subsequent measurement but a few subs were of the globular cluster NGC 6712 in Scutum. It lies in a very rich part of the Milky Way.

I have no idea why it is labelled "weird globular cluster" in Interstellarum and perhaps someone can enlighten me. The optics were not yet fully collimated and focused so this one doesn't look as good as I would hope, in particular there is some astigmatism, but as a first-light in one sense I am not too unhappy.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, peter shah said:

First light always is quite an anticipated moment but considering the collimation and focus issues (pretty much normal on new kit) its not a bad result at all........

Thanks.

This was not truly first light from the kit. It was the first time the scope had been used since March and so "in one sense". The process of mothballing the scope (such as protecting it from volcanic ash which is still blowing in the wind around here) and bringing it back into service inevitably moves components. Then fixing sundry mechanical, optical, electrical, and software problems before it can be used at all also degrades performance. It generally takes me a couple of sessions or so before I am satisfied with it again.