NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show me your FS128

In the next couple of months or so I will have my FS128, I cannot wait as I have been drooling about this scope ever since joining SGL and seeing them posted here. It seems FS128 owners are very proud of this rare (at least here in North America) scopes, it seems this telescope can do no wrong and considering the TOA130 would me inconveniently heavy amd costly the FS128 seems like a dream scope in its size range. How do you mount yours and which rings or clamshell works best for you? mine will come with it’s original clamshell but I’m not sure how to mount it to an ADM saddle if that is even possible, some ideas would be nice.

• Like 3

Sorry, no pic because I don't have an FS128, but I believe all Tak clamshells have a 35mm bolt hole pattern. Certainly, the clam for my FS60-CB does, enabling me to bolt it directly to my vintage Tak mount. However, so that I can use the mount with other scopes via an ADM saddle, I simply drilled two holes in a dovetail and bolted the clam to that. Not sure if that is recommended for a 128 though.

• Thanks 1

Roy is correct.

And he is also correct that a (heavy duty) dovetail can be drilled to allow the clamshell to be fitted to it..but unless you have a Tak mount with 35mm spaced threaded holes to receive the clamshell, yod need to have some kind of adapter made.

If you have a different mount head that will accept standard Vixen style dovetails, then you could simply buy (or drill) a Vixen ADM type dovetail with 35mm pre-drilled holes (or drill them yourself) and then bolt the dovetail onto your clamshell from underneath..the dovetail would need 2 strong clamps: you could then clamp the dovetail/clamshell assembly to your mount.

I hope this makes sense?

The photos below show my Tak mount head with 35mm spaced holes as supplied. Also the clamshell close up and open when attached to my Tak mount, and finally a custom solid aluminium bar dovetail which I drilled with 35 mm spaced holes: this was however to allow use of other scopes on my Tak mount, whereas you may want to secure your Tak FS128 scope to a non Tak mount..

It shouldn't be too difficult to achieve though and I hope the photos help you visualize what I mean😊.

Dave

0_Tak Em2s mount3.jpg

IMG_20220318_130127003_HDR.jpg

0_IMG_20221022_154417171_HDR.jpg

0_0_IMG_20200527_155440156_copy_540x720.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Same here, no pic as I don't have an FS128, but would like to recommend bolting the Tak cradle to a Vixen or Losmandy dovetail with M8 35 mm hole pattern. I have done this for my FC100 and TSA120, and use the DP75 Losmandy-style dovetail by K-Astec for mounting these scopes to an iOptron GEM45. These dovetails can be had in 152 mm, 222 mm, 257 mm or 292 mm lengths, and all have "Tak standard" bolt patterns - see e.g. 222 mm plate here: https://www.kyoei-osaka.jp/SHOP/k-astec-dp75-222.html. Lightweight and fantastic quality.

Edited by Hans Joakim
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I’ve used mine with the cradle bolted directly to my Rowan AZ100 which has correctly spaced holes to accept it. I also have a short Losmandy plate which I’ve bolted it to the cradle in order to allow it to be used with my GP-DX. Ideally I would get a longer dovetail but  it is easy enough to shift the scope in the cradle if you need to rebalance.

IMG_7587.jpeg

IMG_7589.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I’ve used mine with the cradle bolted directly to my Rowan AZ100 which has correctly spaced holes to accept it. I also have a shot Losmandy plate which I’ve bolted it to in order to allow it to be used with my GP-DX. Ideally I would get a longer dovetail but  it is easy enough to shift the scope in the cradle if you need to rebalance.

IMG_7587.jpeg

IMG_7589.jpeg

IMG_0270.jpeg

Thank you! I’m not sure what the difference in weight capacity is between my GP and your GPDX though I do not plan on mounting it on my GP, but I guess you have no issue with such a large refrigerator on your DX? I can’t imagine my GP handling such a scope.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Thank you! I’m not sure what the difference in weight capacity is between my GP and your GPDX though I do not plan on mounting it on my GP, but I guess you have no issue with such a large refrigerator on your DX? I can’t imagine my GP handling such a scope.

To be honest, I’ve not used the 128 in anger on the GP-DX, the weather has not allowed it. I hope it will work ok, it feels fine and because you are not touching the scope outside focusing it, vibrations should be less. I’ll let you know how it goes.

I think the GP has a 7kg capacity vs 10kg for the DX, both are likely to be conservative numbers but I doubt the GP would be up to the job mainly because of the length of the OTA.

• Like 2

I've used Trinity several times on a GP-DX and it worked well, with one caveat: you do need a solid tripod under the GP-DX, and IMHO a standard EQ5 steel tube tripod isn't up to the job.

A good wooden tripod such as a Berlebach would dampen vibrations far better. My own is a solid custom made fixed height wooden one with a Berlebach spreader and is very solid👍

Dave

• Like 3

The Vixen GPDX just manages the FS128 but as already said it needs a sturdy tripod - I used a Berlebach UNI 28.

I found that replacing the stock focuser with a Feathertouch reduced focus jiggles even more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

~

When I owned my FS-128 I found a Losmandy GM-8 would support it for visual, however, any breeze was detrimental to stability. I don't see how a Vixen GP (which I also own, though sadly, not a 128 any longer) would prove adequate.

Good luck.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 28/07/2023 at 13:05, dweller25 said:

I found that replacing the stock focuser with a Feathertouch reduced focus jiggles even more.

...or add Takahashi's own MEF3 1:7 microfocuser at much lower cost..😊

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/takahashi-other-accessories/tak_tka00733.html#:~:text=About this product&text=Takahashi MEF 3 is a,180 and E-130D telescopes.

I bought mine several years ago used in mint condition for £150 and am very pleased with it's performance. It also enabled me to retain the excellent original Tak 2.7" focuser which is very robust and can take heavy eyepieces such as my Axiom LX 23mm and 31mm.

Here's a link to a thread I found helpful when installing my MEF-3 microfocuser, including a useful visual aid:smile:

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info and photo..
  • Like 2

On 28/07/2023 at 11:44, Sunshine said:

but I guess you have no issue with such a large refrigerator on your DX? I can’t imagine my GP handling such a scope.                

Epic predictive text strikes again 😁😁😁

• Haha 3

12 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

but I guess you have no issue with such a large refrigerator on your DX? I can’t imagine my GP handling such a scope.                

Great stuff Ed!

I bet such a contraption would look really cool though..:hiding:

• Haha 4

15 minutes ago, NGC 1502 said:

Indeed a chilled experience. 
Nice spot Ed.

Predictive text is a real pain in the rear at times for me at least.

• Haha 5