NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AstroCamp September 2023

17mins to go. Interesting that they offer some non-camping options, but coming by public transport and having to bring towels and bedding wouldn’t leave a lot of space for any astro equipment 😞 Looks like a great site, stayed not too far away once, was nicely dark.

Peter

I'm back on the usual spot, too. I should have a new camper by then, or might take the old Bongo for one last hurrah. The latter also has  25 year old tech, so less lights to turn on by mistake!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Same pitch for me, 33, bang next to the water tap!

Damn you're quick mate I was logged on within a minute and 33 was gone.

For your sins, there is a snoring fart machine booked into 34b. 🤣

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Haha 3

33 minutes ago, Franklin said:

Some competition for my other half then!

I will involuntarily do very well in that competition. 🫡

Unlike the pub quiz... some reading up required. 🙄

Being easily pleased I'm quite excited since I've not been camping this year. Kielder Starcamp on the 11th October is booked too. Four nights with the end of season midges...

To celebrate I just bought an SGL camping mug. A former coveted twenty year old mug mysteriously disappeared from a cupboard... 🤔

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Clive are you taking the Starfield 102? I'd love to have a peek through it.

Sure - you'd be very welcome. I have a pretty good selection of mid-priced EPs to choose from (including Morpheuses and Pentax XWs) but if you have any personal favourites, bring them along. You'd be comparing like with like that way.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Sure - you'd be very welcome. I have a pretty good selection of mid-priced EPs to choose from (including Morpheuses and Pentax XWs) but if you have any personal favourites, bring them along. You'd be comparing like with like that way.

I'll have the Altair 102ED on the AVX again and my eyepiece case... plus, stuff...

Let's hope we have a nice September...

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

I'll have the Altair 102ED on the AVX again and my eyepiece case... plus, stuff...

Let's hope we have a nice September...

Ah, ok. A 102 shoot-out, eh? Should be interesting.....😆

• Like 1

Booked a first for me, as I was on my Mac today for work, so snagged a "posher" pitch than my usual, this time pitch number 3, with electrikkery too!

Now do I bring the #BFS Altair 125 ED or the Stowaway again? Decisions decisions.

Chris

Edited by Cjg
typo
  • Like 2

Just now, Cjg said:

Booked a first dor me, as I was on my Mac today for work, so snagged a "posher" pitch than my usual, this time pitch number 3, with electrikkery too!

Now do I bring the #BFS Altair 125 ED or the Stowaway again? Decisions decisions.

Chris

Both? 😛

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, cajen2 said:

Both? 😛

Like your thinking. Not enough room for both, I use a 3 man tent, so my little car will be laden enough as it is, without another Pelli case. 

1 hour ago, Cjg said:

Booked a first for me, as I was on my Mac today for work, so snagged a "posher" pitch than my usual, this time pitch number 3, with electrikkery too!

Chris

Hi Chris, You had better behave yourself if your on imagers row!!!!!!!! :)  See you in September.

Cheers, Justyn

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, reddoss said:

Hi Chris, You had better behave yourself if your on imagers row!!!!!!!! :)  See you in September.

Cheers, Justyn

I might just bring the Sony to attach the to Stowaway and see if the little SkyGuider pro works with a heavier load than the 14mm G Master lens! Take care and see you in a few weeks!

Chris

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all,

I've never been to astrocamp or a star party and I'm pretty much still learning about astronomy and astrophotography.

I dont actually have a campervan. Do people just come in their cars and sleep in it? I dont fancy investing in tent, sleeping bags etc. 

2 hours ago, Maho said:

Hello all,

I've never been to astrocamp or a star party and I'm pretty much still learning about astronomy and astrophotography.

I dont actually have a campervan. Do people just come in their cars and sleep in it? I dont fancy investing in tent, sleeping bags etc. 

You do not need to spend massive amounts of money on camping gear to be comfortable and equipment usually lasts for many years. Do you have a physical impairment that prevents you from camping, you have not camped before or has a bad experience put you off?

If you already have a car, camping is probably the best way to get yourself under dark skies regularly. Also, some astro camps (and many campsites generally) do have pods and static caravans to rent should you be really opposed to sleeping in a tent, however some camping equipment would still be handy, like a good sleeping bag and cooking gear if you manage to grab a pod.

• Like 2