NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

AstroCamp September 2023

20 hours ago, Maho said:

Hello all,

I've never been to astrocamp or a star party and I'm pretty much still learning about astronomy and astrophotography.

I dont actually have a campervan. Do people just come in their cars and sleep in it? I dont fancy investing in tent, sleeping bags etc. 

agree with what has been said above about tents and even if you sleep in your car, you will want a sleeping bag (it can get very cold in that campsite . Also, you will be very unpopular if you open your car after dark and any lights come on (even the little lights in the boot for example).

On 02/08/2023 at 12:16, Maho said:

Hello all,

I've never been to astrocamp or a star party and I'm pretty much still learning about astronomy and astrophotography.

I dont actually have a campervan. Do people just come in their cars and sleep in it? I dont fancy investing in tent, sleeping bags etc. 

There is the option of finding a local hotel or B&B and buying an 'offsite' ticket. This way you can share in the daytime events and stay at late as you can in the evening.

There are places to park nearby on the main road with just a short walk to join us. Not ideal, but it's not uncommon for people to do. 

But, as people are saying, a tent, an air mattress and a decent sleeping bag are probably the cheapest way to get the most out of the weekend. Do you have anyone you could borrow from? (Ok, maybe get your own sleeping bag 😄 )

Edit: it's usual for people to set up their gear on The Common and just throw a waterproof cover over it when they're done. It's a very safe environment, so very little risk if you do. 

Edited by Gfamily
  • Like 3

• 1 month later...

Due to a sudden, close family bereavement I will be unable to attend the Autumn Astrocamp in Cwmdu next week so am offering my pitch to anyone in SGL-land who could make use of it. It is pitch 33 without electric hook-up and I've paid for two adults to attend for the duration of the Starparty. I am not seeking any kind of refund or payment, just offering the place for free to anyone who would like to attend or indeed anyone who is already attending and would like to have more room for either taking someone else along or setting up more equipment.

PM me if of interest and I'll forward the booking details.

• Like 1
  • Sad 7

Damn... the people camping either side of me aren't going. I was only joking about the snoring! 

Seriously though I am sorry to hear Neil and Tim can't attend.

I'm currently gathering everything into inconvenient piles around the house ready to pack into the car tomorrow morning...

The weather forecast is very iffy but then is it ever any different down there? 🙄🤔

For those of us that could get here early, we've had an unexpectedly clear clear evening. 

For the first hour or two, typically half the sky was cloudy (which half varied as the clouds moved) but by about 10:30 it was pretty clear all over.

As it was the evening before the Star Party proper, there were some 'non Astro' guests staying, and they were delighted to be shown some of the treasures of the night sky - almost as much as we were delighted to be able to share the views with them.

I do hope we get some reasonable viewing once the party starts proper, but I think we may have had the best night already. 

• Like 5

Driving through a cloud twenty minutes from the camp was ominous... 😱

Arriving at 4.30pm I got damp setting up, dried off & changed clothes... The scope and mount have been left in the car. If there's a miraculous weather change I'll stick with the 10x50s.

The camp wi-fi does seem much better this time.

• Like 1

On 17/09/2023 at 09:17, tomato said:

Monday night looking promising but… I have a new camera waiting in the box so that will probably scupper it, sorry everybody.

Those of us with less faith bugged out this afternoon... My tent started dripping water in places around half ten this morning and when I popped my head out after that deluge subsided, Ade and Mike next to me were packing up prompting me to feel less of a sissy so I joined them. 😄

The most tranquil time I had was while walking to the toilet block at six this morning, the rain had stopped for a bit, and clouds had parted somewhat so the only three daylight naked eye objects left in the sky gave me a little show, Venus, Sirius and Jupiter.

As usual a very well organised camp with friendly enough people but that must be the most sustained rain I've camped under. Almost constant rain ranging from drizzle to crackers deluges with some thunder and mist thrown in. I hope the faithful have a better night tonight and don't get too wet packing up in the morning!

• Like 2

Alas the bright spell on Monday afternoon was followed by another sharp shower and the clear sky at 7 pm was threatened by yet another bank of cloud coming in from the West. So myself and Tomatobro made the call, packed up and was on the road by 8 pm by which time the clear sky had disappeared. Oh, and I forgot to pack the guidescope tube rings so at least I was spared the embarrassment of folks seeing it lashed to the counter weights with tie wraps and luggage straps.☺️

First light on my ASI 678 must wait a little longer…

• Haha 1
  • Sad 2

Home again now. Last night was another washout; tempting us with brief holes in the cloud which disappeared as soon as I swung the scope to them. So my sum total of observations over three nights was two thirty-second views of Vega! 😂

Still, it was a great, well-organised weekend with good talks, etc and a chance to catch up with people I haven't seen for months.

Some.people with DSLRs swore blind they'd imaged the aurora, though I'm less than convinced! 😆