Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A Couple of disappointing images :(

Psychobilly

Was hoping that Sun-Mon was going to be as good as Sat-Sun but having looked back at the data it looks like its wasn't ... lot more moisture in the air has reduced the transparency and smeared the images..

Anyway for what they are worth a couple of damp squibs...

IC1396 - Megrez72 FF III Idas P2 Mod Canon 1000D Baader ACF

[ATTACH]21298[/ATTACH]

M101 - CPC800@ f6.3 Mod Canon 350D CLC-CCD Clip in...

[ATTACH]21299[/ATTACH]

Peter....

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Blimey Peter they are,nt that bad , the M101 looks nice on my works monitor , some good colour there , at least tyou are getting out there , but i know what you mean ,when u not happy with results , darn frustrating when it looks clear , but something up there knocks the ole data back ,

Rog:)

Cheers peeps... you know what its like though when you know taht when you and the gear are capable of better its a bit of a let down when you start processing the data and its not what youd expected.. If I had stayed out last night i might have noticed the skies... the fact taht I couldnt see much below about 30 degrees should have given the game away... as it was I let the scope do its thing for 2.5 hour runs and tried to catch soem kip before work... the focus images with the masks were pukka the FWNM figure tellthe whole story rising from below 4 to over 5 during the run :)

I roughed them out in work this morning so have to make do without all the add-ins - no GXT, No Astro Actions, No Neat Image...etc so i might have another go tonight if I can stay awake...

I also played about with the guiding parameters lastnight until midnight tryign to get to the "magic" 0.5 for the osc index ...

Ah well maybe next time...

Peter....

Cheers MArk... I hop i dont get to the stage that I dotn bother on margianl nights ... setup time to first slew is now about 90s - wake the moutn up GPS lock and off to go...

On thqat poitn do peopel use hiberante and just accept thea the Elec-trickery is going to do the rest or do they re-align...

The other thing i did last night was change scope imagign configs which I think tweaked the alignment slightly... I decide last night that planetary imagign is definitely not my thing at least with the opticstar... if the new software doesn't sort it it will be going back...and i'll part ex it for an imaging source jobby...

Peter...

I've been using hibernate recently Peter and its been pretty good! Especially now that I've upgraded my handset and so can do precise goto. (Just in case anyone hasn't found this feature on the Celestron handset, the precise goto allows you to choose a star close to your DSO, the mount then slews there, you centre it, and it then goes to the DSO from there. It makes it much more accurate in finding DSOs.)

Helen

PS last night my mount was mucking around all over the place again, so no goto at all :). I'm going to have to get it sorted, as for imaging life is too short to have to actually find things too :)

Great photos Peter.

I trade mine for yours any day!!

Was M101 on the CPC and the megrez72 doing the guiding?

Guy

Hi Guy...

I have 3 OTA's on the CPC...

I use a 500m F8 Manual T-mount telephoto fitted with a DSI IIC for guiding so taht I can image through the 8" and Megrez 72 at the same time swapping the primary (Modded 1000D) and secondary )Modded 350d) DSLR's depending on the scale of the target... and for good measure I can mount a third on a Manfrotto B&S QR plate but thats just getting silly...

I think this is far more than Celestron ever intended you to hang of the CPC ... but "so far" its coped and actually It's been havign a bit of TLC the last few cloudy weeks... I opened up and re-lubed the the drives, and have tweaked the counterweight (9kg of brass) for better balance - I even made a cak handed attempt at collimation last week and it improved things a lot...

Peter...

Thanks for the wise words and encouragement peeps... I suppose I have just got to accept the fact thats soemtimes the skies conspire against you... at least I was able to get out... Ugly sleep tiem with a 9pm alarm... hoping to wake up to better skies...

Peter...

Wow you're just too critical, both are nice images... if you want perfection you probably need to move location... I hear Chile is nice and dry with very little atmospheric water ;-)

Neil.

With the added advantage of southern skies... and ironically I have contacts in the country :)

I was thinking of Hawaii or Tenerife personally... just need those 6 numbers to come up and I am off :)

Peter....

Bit murky here too last night, I stayed out all night but the results are mediocre. As it happens I was doing a close up on the elephants trunk. I think it is still way too early to get a decent result on it in rgb. I've decided to save the colourful targets until they are high enough to do them justice. Trouble is, not dark till gone ten, then light at 4am, the window is getting smaller

The M101 looks great though, you got plenty of the faint stuff despite the sky.

What day are you coming to sgl4?

I am waiting to hear back from soemone to see what their plans are... Hopefully a dry one with a clear sky... any preference from you point of view TJ?

I am out again tonight just started a 3 hour run on the first target... so fingers crossed .. if this is the only target I get tonight i'll be happy though :)

Peter....

just had my first sub in, 20 mins on m106 and a load of other fuzzies, but the sky is a horrible orange. The seeing isnt too bad considering, but transparency is lousy.

I'll be there during the nights of course, but may go off site during the daytime to visit family. Hope you make it.

Archived