Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how many millimeters is this thread?

Snegovik

I have a screw that fits that threaded hole. I made an adaptor from SLT head to EQ-5 mount, and the screw in question is a coarse thread, which I think is a British 1/4" BSW thread.  But I just found a screw in the junkbox that fitted, so I could be wrong.

4 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I have a screw that fits that threaded hole. I made an adaptor from SLT head to EQ-5 mount, and the screw in question is a coarse thread, which I think is a British 1/4" BSW thread.  But I just found a screw in the junkbox that fitted, so I could be wrong.

1/4" BSW will screw into or onto 1/4" UNC. BSW has 55° thread angle and is radiused, whereas UNC has 60° thread angle and comes to a sharp point. All BSW and UNC threads have the same threads per inch (TPI) excpet for 1/2". Obviously, using mismatched thread forms together will result in a weaker connection. It is up to you to decide if it is worth it.

It's 2023 - using disparate and archaic threads on equipment is ridiculous when the world standard is metric. Time for manufacturers to emerge from the dark ages I think :wink2:

• Like 5

1 hour ago, michael8554 said:

Who decided the world standard is metric ?

You mean the majority of the world is metric.

Only the U.S., Liberia and Myanmar are officially still using "inches".

Michael

In other words about 5% of the world population do not use metric measurement.
Not a bad majority for metric.🤣

• Like 1

This isn't about the US, but, you should familiarise yourself with the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 :wink2:

Who decided the world standard is metric ?

You mean the majority of the world is metric.

Michael

When I worked in the Caribbean all the house designs were in feet and inches. It was a nightmare to start with, but I eventually got my head round working in Autocad to base 12 :) 

• Haha 1

I always say that the ideal punishment for those opposed to adopting the Metric system, would be to lock them in a room, and then make then do Physics and Engineering calculations using old Imperial units.

I still however remember the diameters of the planets, and their distances from the sun in miles. 

John

Edited by johnturley

That proves that the old guys had brains. unlike today if google and face book shut down the nut houses would be overflowing. Everyone was not born after 1972.  Us oldies can and do work in both systems.

• Like 3

Not just the oldies and yanks.  The Oilfield loves it's archaic units.  bbls and feet and inches and gallons.  Decimal feet and inches though.  pounds per barrel and pounds per gallon.  Europe has moved on to metric, but the rest of the worls persists.  You get some crazy units when the two clash.  Like length measured in meters width in inches and volume in m3.  Let's not forget that an American gallon is different from a British gallon.  Seen that cause problems more than once.

My personal favourite is when you are measuring fluid consumption whilst drilling.  volume is measured in m3, length in meters so your consumption works out m3/m or m2.  Fun fact, major oil companies don't like you writing fluid consumption as an area, even if it is technically correct.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, 900SL said:

When I worked in the Caribbean all the house designs were in feet and inches. It was a nightmare to start with, but I eventually got my head round working in Autocad to base 12 :) 

"base 12"  , love it :) 

Jim 

11 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Not just the oldies and yanks.  The Oilfield loves it's archaic units.  bbls and feet and inches and gallons.  Decimal feet and inches though.  pounds per barrel and pounds per gallon.  Europe has moved on to metric, but the rest of the worls persists.  You get some crazy units when the two clash.  Like length measured in meters width in inches and volume in m3.  Let's not forget that an American gallon is different from a British gallon.  Seen that cause problems more than once.

My personal favourite is when you are measuring fluid consumption whilst drilling.  volume is measured in m3, length in meters so your consumption works out m3/m or m2.  Fun fact, major oil companies don't like you writing fluid consumption as an area, even if it is technically correct.

Add to that aviation too. When you fly to your holiday destination the fuel load is calculated and recorded in lbs. Err,  lbs that's Pounds for the youngsters  (2.05 lbs for every Kg). Air Speed of course is recorded in Kts  and not m/s (kts  = knots or nautical miles per hour).

Jim 

4 minutes ago, saac said:

Add to that aviation too. When you fly to your holiday destination the fuel load is calculated and recorded in lbs. Err,  lbs that's Pounds for the youngsters  (2.05 lbs for every Kg). Air Speed of course is recorded in Kts  and not m/s (kts  = knots or nautical miles per hour).

Jim 

2.204lb per kg.  It's a number etched in my soul.  Although for most of the calcs I need to use it for I find 2ish works.  

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, johnturley said:

I always say that the ideal punishment for those opposed to adopting the Metric system, would be to lock them in a room, and then make then do Physics and Engineering calculations using old Imperial units.

John

Introduced to Angstroms when I started engineering course at University and still use them today in preference. Quite happy using thou for measurements but depends on the task . I very rarely think in km preferring miles.  Pounds and ounces in lieu of the kg and gram - my dad was a greengrocer :)   But. yes when it comes to an academic setting the metric system is beautifully simple. 

Jim 

5 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

2.204lb per kg.  It's a number etched in my soul.  Although for most of the calcs I need to use it for I find 2ish works.  

Yea 2.205 lb per kg , my fat fingers missed the 0.2 !!  That is why I always let the crew chief do the fuel calcs, long way to fly over the pond! :) 

Jim 

• Haha 1

Having grown up in the 70s/80s in the US, we were constantly told to be ready for the inevitable switch to the metric (SI more properly?) system.  It never happened.  The US kind of stalled out part way there.  Engineering uses SI units for the most part.  Day to day living uses customary units.  I've got to admit, talking about how tall someone is in feet and inches seems much more intuitive than in meters, decimeters, and/or centimeters.  Pounds/kilograms, inches/centimeters, miles/kilometers are each close enough by themselves that I could make the switch eventually.  The mix of units for everyday nuts and bolts is a bit of a pain.  Of course, wire and nails have their own systems of units that are neither customary nor SI.

I'm still waiting for the SI version of time keeping with 10 hours per day, 10 decihours per hour, 100 centihours per hour, etc.  I'd love to see how they shoehorn 100 or 1000 days per year against the solar calendar.

Why was 10 chosen as the base?  Base 12 makes a lot more sense.  It's divisible by 1,2,3,4,6, and 12.  10 is only divisible by 1, 2, 5, and 10.  Being a computer engineer, I've grown quite adept at base 16 or hexadecimal arithmetic, so it should be doable to work in base 12.

I do often prefer the use of customary units' fractions to decimals for day to day functions as opposed to engineering usage for taking a swag at a measurement.

Edited by Louis D
Fixed 10's divisors

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

This isn't about the US, but, you should familiarise yourself with the Metric Conversion Act of 1975 :wink2:

Metric was here for about a minute and then we said stuff it. 

Here is the brutal honesty about metric in the US.  We see it..... A LOT.  I see it everyday at work.  Its in anything manufactured.... Cars, appliances, you name it.  Its on our speedometers right along with mph.  We just prefer not to use it.  Our tool sets, you guessed it will have SAE and metric in them.  So we are ready for what happens to come along.  The one place you dont see it much... Road signs.  Its been years since i have seen a roadsign that says how many km to wherever you are going 

Edited by Mike Q

For me the fact that you use one system of units of measurement or another is not a big deal, if I want to know how much is a given distance in miles I do a unit conversion from miles to kilometers. Clearly, living in Italy and being used to the metric system, hearing measurements in other units doesn't make me understand how normal it is.