Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

how many millimeters is this thread?

Snegovik

On 05/05/2023 at 05:03, Mr Spock said:

It's 2023 - using disparate and archaic threads on equipment is ridiculous when the world standard is metric. Time for manufacturers to emerge from the dark ages I think :wink2:

Just to keep derailing this thread, do Brits go around discussing engine power in kW instead of horsepower?  If they do, they kudos for being consistent in using SI units.

19 minutes ago, Louis D said:

Just to keep derailing this thread, do Brits go around discussing engine power in kW instead of horsepower?  If they do, they kudos for being consistent in using SI units.

Here in Aus we do discuss in kW, but it's more fun to say "killer wasps" than "kilowatts" :)

• Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Louis D said:

and why do we still use rigid equipment US with non metric tools albeit imperial inches and US  allen keys to change the teeth Duh....

To continue the derailed thread, I asked at my Butcher's far a 1/2lb of ham, the lad looked at me and said he didn't know what that meant. As he was young I assumed he had been through school in Metric, so I said so many grams. He looked blank, said he didn't know what that means and could I show him, so a quick thickness gesture (me not him?) and it was sorted. He's not the brightest but he played with our son at school so all is forgiven.

On 05/05/2023 at 14:41, Louis D said:

Why was 10 chosen as the base?  Base 12 makes a lot more sense.  It's divisible by 1,2,3,4,6, and 12.  10 is only divisible by 1,5, and 10.  Being a computer engineer, I've grown quite adept at base 16 or hexadecimal arithmetic, so it should be doable to work in base 12.

I do often prefer the use of customary units' fractions to decimals for day to day functions as opposed to engineering usage for taking a swag at a measurement.

I think you'll find that 10 is also divisible by 2 , least ways it was when I was learning my 'times tables' at Primary School in 1966 aged 4-1/2 ... :happy7:

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Louis D said:

New cars are listed as kW and PS, so, a new Fiesta Hybrid for example is 92 kW / 125 PS :wink2: 

And of course PS stands for PferdStarke (literally, 'horse strength' in German). This is basically metric horsepower as opposed to the imperial or mechanical measure of horsepower denoted by HP or BHP. 1 BHP is 1.01387 PS, and 1 kW is 1.35962 PS.
Hope all is clear now :biggrin:

• Like 1

Good luck with doing imperial weights off the top of your head.

Without using a calculator, convert 2.3874 tonnes to kg, and 2.3874 tons to lbs.

2.3874 tonnes is 2387.4 kg

2.3874 tons is... I'll wait... :tongue2:

18 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Good luck with doing imperial weights off the top of your head.

Without using a calculator, convert 2.3874 tonnes to kg, and 2.3874 tons to lbs.

2.3874 tonnes is 2387.4 kg

2.3874 tons is... I'll wait... :tongue2:

I'll pass on that , but if it were "gnat's knackers in a microtad" I'd be OK having been a carpenter for 'donkey's years' .....

2 hours ago, Steve Ward said:

Why was 10 chosen as the base?

Might that have something to do with our hands, though in the higher Dale up from my town I'm sure there's a bit of sheep DNA mixed in so maybe binary comes naturally to some up there.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

Back to the rant........petrol is priced per litre in Europe because the cost per gallon is astronomical 😀

Just think how high your electrical costs will be when they apply road use taxes to it when EVs become dominant.

6 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

True, but well off topic! They can levy VAT at charging stations but not at home. We are likely to move to road charging instead (electronic tolls).

Agreed.  Down here in Texas, they're trying to vastly increase yearly electric vehicle registration fees to cover some of the lost fuel tax revenue as a stop-gap measure.

As far as the original topic, that 1/4"-20 UNC tripod thread is likely to live on for a very long time due to the sheer number of cameras, tripod heads, and other accessories that use it.  It has the inertia of heavily loaded freight train behind it.  The changeover from steam to diesel-electric locomotives went quicker than getting rid of this tripod thread for its SI equivalent, whatever it may be.

I must disagree about thread! The 1/4 " UNC ithread s well suited to fixing which is regularly done and undone and in softer materials like aluminium. The M6 is a much finer thread and M8 rather large for cameras. Neither would be better.

ISO metric coarse threads are better suited, and generally found in larger diameters eg as structural bolts. In engineering terms there is nothing "better" just because it is metric. Steam turbines are very efficient compared to diesel generators - horses for courses! 

8 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

True, but well off topic! They can levy VAT at charging stations but not at home. We are likely to move to road charging instead (electronic tolls).

The intention is that the smart grid will be able to facilitate differential pricing which in turn would make VAT on electric charging possible.  But the smart grid is somewhere off in the distant future so I think you are right and we will gradually move toward road charging. 

Jim 

6 minutes ago, saac said:

The intention is that the smart grid will be able to facilitate differential pricing which in turn would make VAT on electric charging possible.  But the smart grid is somewhere off in the distant future so I think you are right and we will gradually move toward road charging. 

Jim 

I have no idea how that would work with folks who charge at home using solar panel generated electricity.  The chargers themselves would have to have internet connectivity to report home charging for purposes of taxation.  This then has the issue of folks living off-grid who don't have internet connectivity.

17 minutes ago, Louis D said:

I have no idea how that would work with folks who charge at home using solar panel generated electricity.  The chargers themselves would have to have internet connectivity to report home charging for purposes of taxation.  This then has the issue of folks living off-grid who don't have internet connectivity.

Off grid generation wouldn't be taxed I guess unless they decide in future to label it a tax regulated activity - bootleg electricity comes to mind. :) With a smart grid I understand they can in theory detect the charger activity. No idea how, maybe there is a characteristic electrical signature or perhaps requires some handshake with the charger itself.  There was also thought given to use of electric cars to balance the network with energy being exported from the car when required attracting an export tariff.  We are a long way from any of that happening though. 

Jim 

Edited by saac

On 07/05/2023 at 00:24, Louis D said:

Absolutely. Most cars are designed and built for worldwide sale.
Take the same basic body and engine. Make a few changes for the region. Steering wheel on the wrong side, engine pre-heater for cold regions, airbag combination, etc.
Even the dashboard switches tend to use symbols rather than words to minimise build differences.
The owners manuals always show engine power in KW. Coolant, oil and fuel capacity in litres.
Which is just as well as in most of the world fuel and oil are sold by the litre!

If I want a horsepower value for my car, though I can't imagine why, I have to convert the KW value. 1HP = 0.746KW.
Horsepower equivalent was useful to size (animal replacement) steam engines in James Watt time. Think here of horse driven gin wheels operating mine pumps.
For any machinery, horsepower has long passed its use by date.

Edited by Carbon Brush
  • Like 1