NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

12 Newtonian Lunar hi res 29th April

neil phillips

Got a few to go through. here's one just done 

full size click to open.  last one sharpened more. As can be seen i allowed the rims to over expose ( intentional i could see it ) As i wanted to see how much of a increase in perceived resolution was possible. Somewhat of a experiment. Think i will hold back a bit more in future. But it does help highlight finer smaller detail i think

12 newt 29th april 2023.png b.png c.png

12 newt 29th april 2023.png b.png

naturalf.png full.png b.png

naturalf.png full.png sharper.png b.png

Edited by neil phillips
  • Like 19

40 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

Very nice! Glad you were able to take advantage of the high elevation Neil. Look forward to seeing these on my pc monitor.

Cheers got a couple more to run. Will take me a while to get the best out of it. But i can archive

32 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Lovely set of images. I do prefer the presentation of the first image though.

Hi Michael. Thats why its worth sometimes doing this. It helps add perspective. And makes it easier for others to find what taste they like. me included. Some prefer sharper some more natural

47 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

First image for me. Phenomenal detail across the board. Last image maybe too dark. A full mosaic at that resolution would be pretty tasty!

Yeah i tried downing to 70 % on the last one. will process it different next time. Work in progress . 

Just now, Space Cowboy said:

That's rilly good! Defined all the way!  Clean as a whistle.

Cheers Stuart, i think i will do better with these captures in time. Will process better as time goes on i think. Still learning what's working. Noise control is the key. Controlling the levels better. will come, as i did push it. more than usual. good in some ways, bad in others. Seeing was reasonable. But i was capturing on concrete filming over a house roof, so there was thermals. but hasn't stopped the detail much.  Saw what you did there RILLY good 😅

• Like 1

1 hour ago, WestCoastCannuck said:

Outstanding work Neil.   Truly wonderful as always to view your stuff.  Clavius is fabulous.  :)

Cheers Mike as you can tell. I am not there yet. With this run. Processing is rather rushed, and exploratory. Even though i captured at higher histos, ( its so i can learn ) it will produce both better and worse outcomes. Next time i image i will be coming down a bit. ( that's what I've learned ) Bad side burned rims. good side. detail extraction. I can do better with the processing on these. And will repost when done. As i cant leave the data, to this level of amateur processing lol. 

25 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Wow! the detail in these is amazing!

Cheers sunshine. captures far from perfect. but got focus, and enough times were thermals were not dominating ( capturing on a concrete floor next to the bungalow. shooting over a house roof ) Its probably the best 12" data I've had yet. But only my third time out with the beast. So still learning what it does. And can, and cant do.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Space Cowboy said:

You must be well pleased with the Stella scope Neil. The level of fine detail on these images is insane! The textures of the mountains and the tiny craters on show is remarkable.

Its starting to show what its capable of isn't it.  I think the session was at about 60 70%  ideal. No polar alignment, setup early. thermals. throughout. So better can come i am sure. But for now its boding well for further lunar. want to try 2.5x maybe ?

And Jupiter  should be good under the right conditions. You pay for it though, its a beast to walk with,  and get on the mount. I banged it on a wall indoors. Checked collimation. it was still perfect. (tight secondary helps ) Getting better at setting it up. But not for the faint hearted.  So yeah it seems ok. one side of focus on a star test looks way soft, compared to the other. But thats common at this price point. Even my Orion looks similar quite soft on one side. I can see on screen lunar detail still looks diffraction limited. Upshot conditions will determine what it delivers i think. Onwards and upwards

• Like 1

Just now, Kon said:

Excellent images and lovely details throughout. In my eyes, even the more sharpened image, still looks great without noise or artifacts.

No extra sharpening wont usually show more noise as not typically seen on most of my processes. Though it may look more stark. losing a certain softness that can be appealing on the less sharpened captures

Cheers 

Edited by neil phillips