NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

41 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

Compass calibration. I was probably asked to do this when the scope was unpacked, but don't recall being asked since then until now.....

Last night I was asked to calibrate the compass, which I did following the procedure on the tablet screen. The scope was on a flat top wall so rotation was easy.
Moved to the first couple of targets without problem.
When asking for another target, not moving the scope, I got the compass calibration message again.
So I complied and then there were issues locating the target.
As I was on limited time, I packed up.

Today I planted the scope on the wall again, asked for solar, and was asked for a compass calibration - yet again.

There are possibilies here. A daft user. A clever scope that has detected other issues but not bothered to tell me. Or a faulty scope compass.
Any thoughts?

Your house sits on an old Indian Magnetic graveyard ?

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

There are possibilies here. A daft user. A clever scope that has detected other issues but not bothered to tell me. Or a faulty scope compass.
Any thoughts?

The ufo hovering over your house last night watching you is still there?

Edited by M40
  • Haha 2

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. 

I got a Seestar at Christmas and managed to use it properly last night for 1st time due to recent bad weather in UK.

I got some nice deep sky images however the jpeg / video wasn't copied to my android tablet.  The stacked files are on the SS under The Works folder

When I used my android phone the jpegs etc were copied to my phone under Coms.zwo.seestar album.  This album is not on my tablet, the images arnt there.

Can anyone offer any advice to help me get the images to show, be stored on tablet.

Doug

3 minutes ago, Doug64 said:

When I used my android phone the jpegs etc were copied to my phone under Coms.zwo.seestar album.  This album is not on my tablet, the images arnt there.

Can anyone offer any advice to help me get the images to show, be stored on tablet.

Doug

Mine copies straight into the camera photos album, are they in there somewhere? 

15 minutes ago, Doug64 said:

Hi,

I hope someone can help me. 

I got a Seestar at Christmas and managed to use it properly last night for 1st time due to recent bad weather in UK.

I got some nice deep sky images however the jpeg / video wasn't copied to my android tablet.  The stacked files are on the SS under The Works folder

Doug

check the app permissions incase you've left something unticked ? also, what version android ? if it's very old I think someone else somewhere said gallery didn't work.

15 minutes ago, M40 said:

Mine copies straight into the camera photos album, are they in there somewhere? 

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.  On my phone they go straight into gallery but not on my tablet.  My tablet is 2016 model so I don't think it works.

4 minutes ago, powerlord said:

check the app permissions incase you've left something unticked ? also, what version android ? if it's very old I think someone else somewhere said gallery didn't work.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My permissions are ticked, I think it has to do with the age of my tablet.  It is a 2016 model Android version 8.1.0.

Think I'll have to buy a new tablet :)

Doug

8 minutes ago, Doug64 said:

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

My permissions are ticked, I think it has to do with the age of my tablet.  It is a 2016 model Android version 8.1.0.

Think I'll have to buy a new tablet :)

Doug

Any old excuse to spend some money😊.  

My pics go straight to Gallery on my phone.  Alas I have never owned a Tablet - you're tempting me now! 🙄.

11 minutes ago, paulastro said:

My pics go straight to Gallery on my phone.  Alas I have never owned a Tablet - you're tempting me now!

A tablet allows you to view images at a decent size and have enough space on the screen for the scope controls.
I'm one of those odd people who think a phone is for calls and the occasional picture.
It also avoids juggling screens if you get a call mid imaging session😁.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

A tablet allows you to view images at a decent size and have enough space on the screen for the scope controls.
I'm one of those odd people who think a phone is for calls and the occasional picture.
It also avoids juggling screens if you get a call mid imaging session😁.

Yes ,I've been tempted on occassions.  But then I think it's just another gadget to have to keep up with.  Also with two devices I'd never end up putting the right one to my ear!  🤔.

I really commend samsung tablets. You'll get a refurbished a8 under 100 quid, or a new one for about 140 quid. Stay away from the Chinese makes you've never heard of unless you know for a fact its good (ie don't trust reviews).

Stu

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

I have a friend who is an electrical engineer, money is no object in his world but he always buys refurbished not because he is cheap, its because he says with a refurb the unit is checked over / tested top to bottom, most times better than the quality control checks for brand new gear. And he is an electronics fiend especially Apple, lol !

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Neil H said:

I second that on the Samsung I have the tab7 lite and it's really good £140 from Amazon got it next day too

Do the images from Seestar go directly to this tablet.

Thanks

Last nights offering, around 3 hours and a bit of total imaging time. I absolutely love this little scope, it’s so easy to use. Plonk down on the table, switch on, connect, point to object, start imaging!
60 minutes M81 / M82
72 minutes NGC281 - Pac-Man 
66 minutes NGC1499 - California 
All images very quick process in Light Room on the saved JPEG only. Bortle 4 Sky.

IMG_1438.jpeg

IMG_1440.jpeg

IMG_1441.jpeg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Doug64 said:

Do the images from Seestar go directly to this tablet.

Another Samsung galaxy A7 user. Yes photos straight to tablet, and my google drive (somehow even without clouds in the sky).
I'm not going to say it has worked very well every day since buying it late 2020 as that is guaranteed to make it fail😁.

I had a weird issue last night with the Seestar. I asked it to GOTO the Moon and it struggled and only showed me a very bright area - I tried moving it but could not get the Moon. I tried this twice with no success. Then I asked it to GOTO M1 and it did it flawlessly. Then I asked it to GOTO the Moon from M1 and it worked perfectly.

Seems that once it had gone to M1 it knew where it was.

Anyway this is what I got.

I am having all sorts of trouble transferring files from Tablet to PC but I won't bore you with that.

Moon with seestar 180124.jpg

• Like 1

For the moon and the sun it seems to use an alternative to plate solving - which is great and I hope it migrates into asiair code base. Since there are no stars to plate solve in each case, it seems to go into the general area, and then move towards the lightest part of each frame. It's generally a great way of doing it. With the asiair, since all it can do is plate solve (at least in current release), you rarely get a good goto for the moon and need to manually adjust it.

However, because of this algorithm it is, a bit like moths, prone to mistaking other things for the moon. I've had it move and centre a street light a few times.

• Like 2