Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

14 minutes ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

We shall see. However, the Seestar S50 is designed to stack a series of short images to build up a composite image. (EAA)

I have done the same using both alt-azimuth mounts and an equatorial mount, and the only notable drawback of using an alt-azimuth mount is that a notable effect of field rotation builds up around the edges of the image and has to be cropped off.  The stacked portions of the image are unaffected.  The effect was demonstrated in one of the Seestar S50 Youtube review videos I watched.

Many newcomers to this end of the hobby, who just want to be able to see something that they always only were able to see in other so called experts posts won't even care about a slight field rotation in the outer fringes of the results. I have been in the hobby a long time and I sure won't, that is left up to the perfectionists, I know I was a one at one time !

1 hour ago, StevieDvd said:

ZWO will probably add their own wedge for it before changing the software for EQ mode, and a way that only ZWO wedges will be able to be used!!!!

Just don't count on it, it may be in the form of a new, way more costly model but who knows how far down the road.

Edited by LDW1

I'd literally just finsihed watching that video. Was trying to see if there was a levelling routinethat would prevent the end user setting it up in eq mode.  Not sure if the Dwarf had a firmware change to allow users to do their own 'EQ' thing. I was not seriously suggesting that ZWO would do an eq wedge as we all know that PA is a drawback for the first time user wanting a turn on & get result product.

Well done for getting the thread back on track guys 🙂

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Have you ever tried to buy a replacement battery

Yes, many times. They are like meteor dust to find. If you can find them it's a bonus but usually you end up having to replace the device. It's called "planned obsolescence" and applies to many walks of life just to make a buck, and it needs to stop.

At least this device has a usb port so technically you could use a usb power bank to charge it. I wonder if it works as pass through, so if the internal battery ever goes caput it'll still work via external power, a lot of laptops can work like this without a battery and just on mains power.

4 minutes ago, Elp said:

Yes, many times. They are like meteor dust to find. If you can find them it's a bonus but usually you end up having to replace the device. It's called "planned obsolescence" and applies to many walks of life just to make a buck, and it needs to stop.

At least this device has a usb port so technically you could use a usb power bank to charge it. I wonder if it works as pass through, so if the internal battery ever goes caput it'll still work via external power, a lot of laptops can work like this without a battery and just on mains power.

and the battery is replaceable, tho not sure what type is used.

7 minutes ago, Elp said:

I am almost 76 yr. old, ' planned obsolesence ' was a catch phrase way back in the 60's, that terminology is nothing new, lol !

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LDW1 said:

You are correct so how do you intend to keep it doing what you want it to do, need it to do above a snails pace, during crashes, etc. ?  Have you ever tried to buy a replacement battery, some years ago I had a Samsung Note4, it worked perfectly, it needed a new battery, I couldn't find one in literally the world, I had to scrap it and bought a Note10, so far it works great. It was that way right back to my Bag Phone. Good Luck I have been through it all, lol !

er..

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s?k=samsung+note+4+battery&crid=H9P1CW1R90GI&sprefix=samsung+note+4+battery%2Caps%2C81&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, powerlord said:

Only issue is when was it manufactured, as sammy cease production. For the Note-3 and Note-1 I got pattern ones of a make that had good feedback and they've been just fine. Of course the later "sealed for life" devices are much more of a PITA should you need to replace and sadly most/all jumped on that trend following the fruit seller 😞 

1 hour ago, powerlord said:

Thats all well and good until you get ' out of stock ' or ' discontinued ' or ........ , its not as easy as you think ! Have you even tried it, really ?  But thanx anyway, lol !

20 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Thats all well and good until you get ' out of stock ' or ' discontinued ' or ........ , its not as easy as you think ! Have you even tried it, really ?  But thanx anyway, lol !

I think it is actually is as easy as that - if it can be engineered in the first place then it can be reengineered. If there is a market then a commercial solution will provide the service, if not then those who know how will do as they always have.  

Jim 

On 12/09/2023 at 13:33, DaveL59 said:

Just curiosity here, but the opening where the solar filter goes, anyone able to measure the diameter and is it threaded?

I know it ain't for planetary etc, but I wonder if that old Jessops fisheye/tele/macro lens I have (screws onto an existing camera lens) might give the S50 a little extra reach 

The solar filter is a push in jobby and having a close look, it is not threaded. S50a maybe 🤔 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Elp said:

I see someone's already made a bahtinov mask for it and people have bought it from a common arena...

Not sure I can see why you would need one, it auto focuses quite well. It showed in the youtube comparison between the dwarf and the seestar, the dwarf is a manual focus device and it would be beneficial with that but not the seestar.

1 hour ago, Elp said:

Just use cardboard and tape it down to test.

No seriously, cut out a circle slightly larger than the front aperture, cut a hole for the filter to sit into, tape the edges down being careful not to get any tape on the glass (or surround the cutout with double sided), and tape the cardboard to the front of the scope. It'll be interesting to see if it can autofocus with a filter up front.

If it works make a better mount for the filter, it'll be nice to see the hydrogen alpha response from the camera sensor.

Edit: the LP filter in fact is a dual narrowband so the HA and O3 can be seen in bringing certain nebulae features out better.

Edited by Elp

I'm hoping a few accessories will find their way down the line, like a stackable filter arrangement of some sort. It has an inbuilt LP filter for nebula etc which is selectable from the app, so the ability to select your own external one would be a good move. 

Edited by M40
Speling

29 minutes ago, Elp said:

No seriously, cut out a circle slightly larger than the front aperture, cut a hole for the filter to sit into, tape the edges down being careful not to get any tape on the glass (or surround the cutout with double sided), and tape the cardboard to the front of the scope. It'll be interesting to see if it can autofocus with a filter up front.

If it works make a better mount for the filter, it'll be nice to see the hydrogen alpha response from the camera sensor.

ahh but it ain't a filter, I was talking about adding a tele-converter lens on the front to increase the mag, so a bit (lot) chunkier. Hey ya never know, the diameter of the opening might match a threaded filter adaptor and it'd just screw right in with a bit of persuasion 😉 

It'll be an experiment once I'm happy I've figured out the system, hopefully it won't affect its ability to g-to and track. Risk will be remembering to remove before "parking" or that may give some nasty moments. The tele adaptor landing on the ground would be minor vs the graunching of (likely plastic) gears 😮