NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

ZWO Seestar 50

10 minutes ago, LDW1 said:

Two things, first there may be many newcomers into this end of the hobby that don't realize or consider the issue and secondly a confirmation that the temperature range only pertains to battery related concerns, their performance and not other considerations.  You talk as if everyone buying into this new end are experienced whatevers ! As I mentioned a simple heads up for those new learners, a consideration, they won't all be scientifically minded geniuses like some, lol !  PS:  Why does a simple question asked always become a major problem, lol !

download.jpg

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Even if the more detailed information was on their web page or in their manual (more detailed than they have already in the specs & downloads for the product)  in my experience most don't bother to read them. It's more likley they will to ask on a Forum or Facebook when things don't seem to work or go wrong.

• Like 3

This morning I tried using my Seestar S50 (with v1.52 firmware) in Solar mode.  It found the sun automatically after I opened it up and fitted the solar filter. Not much problem after that except that the solar image disappears from the smartphone screen until one does some more button pressing.  One can save a still or save a video to process later.   I got an image with visible sunspots, similar to images in reviews elsewhere.

On shutting down it seems a good procedure is to pick up the Seestar and turn it through 90 deg (away from the Sun) before removing the filter and commanding it to shut down.

• Like 4

The more I try the Seestar, it makes me ask "Why can't all GoTo scopes be like this?"  Sure, it would be expensive to kit an 8" SCT with all these features (maybe via a separate intelligent finderscope), but if amateurs with deeper pockets were offered a scope outfit that did all this automation and had a visual port, I suspect the response would be "F**k yes, sign me up now!" 

• Like 6

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

The more I try the Seestar, it makes me ask "Why can't all GoTo scopes be like this?"  Sure, it would be expensive to kit an 8" SCT with all these features (maybe via a separate intelligent finderscope), but if amateurs with deeper pockets were offered a scope outfit that did all this automation and had a visual port, I suspect the response would be "F**k yes, sign me up now!" 

Give it a year or two and the scopes would also do the post processing as well, though if they get too smart they may sulk because of the weather.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, StevieDvd said:

Even if the more detailed information was on their web page or in their manual (more detailed than they have already in the specs & downloads for the product)  in my experience most don't bother to read them. It's more likley they will to ask on a Forum or Facebook when things don't seem to work or go wrong.

Well you have justified the lack of simple data for the unsuspecting newcomers, you have let them off the hook !  Not surprising rational from an experienced exp.... , lol !   PS:  It probably saved them a minute amount of time and space to provide a short explanation as to how their batteries will / might perform in below freezing temps, a little curtisy to some that have just spent $ xxx on their product, well done !

Edited by LDW1

@LDW1 Can I ask what sort of winter night time tempratures you usually see? Not the exceptional events.
By looking at the general conditions, you can decide if battery life really is an issue.

For example in my part of the UK we often go a little below freezing. -10C would be an exception.
We had one winter a little over 10 years back when we went down to -18C. A once in many years event.
Further north, it is a little cooler.

On battery performance. I have been looking at a particular Samsung lithium 21700 size for a work project.
This can be discharged from -20C up to 60C without harm.
Capacity is defined at 23C.
When hot, 60C, you still get 95% capacity. 
At 0C discharge, capacity is 80%, falling to 60% at -20C.
These are very respectable figures and any equipment designer takes them into account.
I'm not saying this is the cell that ZWO have used. However, performance from their selected cell is likely similar.

HTH, David.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Carbon Brush said:

@LDW1 Can I ask what sort of winter night time tempratures you usually see? Not the exceptional events.
By looking at the general conditions, you can decide if battery life really is an issue.

For example in my part of the UK we often go a little below freezing. -10C would be an exception.
We had one winter a little over 10 years back when we went down to -18C. A once in many years event.
Further north, it is a little cooler.

On battery performance. I have been looking at a particular Samsung lithium 21700 size for a work project.
This can be discharged from -20C up to 60C without harm.
Capacity is defined at 23C.
When hot, 60C, you still get 95% capacity. 
At 0C discharge, capacity is 80%, falling to 60% at -20C.
These are very respectable figures and any equipment designer takes them into account.
I'm not saying this is the cell that ZWO have used. However, performance from their selected cell is likely similar.

HTH, David.

This is all well and good, I know battery performance very well, I know solar very well but what about the many unsuspecting newcomers that don't, its for them not I. I guess ZWO just forgets about those although they are one of the main target audiences in this new end of astronomy.  Remember the old saying ' take their money and run ', lol !  As to my temps, in my world we get -45° C on some nites but I don't do astronomy below -15° C any more but when it comes to lithium batterys I know what to expect, I am a long time expert as well, lol !  But I care about those that aren't, not like many and I won't say anymore.  As I said up above ' I give up ', lol !

5 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

This morning I tried using my Seestar S50 (with v1.52 firmware) in Solar mode.  It found the sun automatically after I opened it up and fitted the solar filter. Not much problem after that except that the solar image disappears from the smartphone screen until one does some more button pressing.  One can save a still or save a video to process later.   I got an image with visible sunspots, similar to images in reviews elsewhere.

On shutting down it seems a good procedure is to pick up the Seestar and turn it through 90 deg (away from the Sun) before removing the filter and commanding it to shut down.

I think you are right and it's something that most if not all SGL members I suspect are used to doing for their various areas of interest. To be honest I think it is all part of the fun, part of the experience of ownership.  With a few months use these newcomers will be modding their SeeStar to upgrade with a DIY power supply - that's the journey I took all those years back when I bought my first goto an ETX 80. It suffered from battery drain too :) 

Jim 

1 hour ago, LDW1 said:

This is all well and good, I know battery performance very well, I know solar very well but what about the many unsuspecting newcomers that don't, its for them not I. I guess ZWO just forgets about those although they are one of the main target audiences in this new end of astronomy.  Remember the old saying ' take their money and run ', lol !  As to my temps, in my world we get -45° C on some nites but I don't do astronomy below -15° C any more but when it comes to lithium batterys I know what to expect, I am a long time expert as well, lol !  But I care about those that aren't, not like many and I won't say anymore.  As I said up above ' I give up ', lol !

Have you been onto the ZWO site to alert them to your concerns. From my experience they are a company that react very well to their customer base.  If they share your concerns they would most likely react by adding further information. 

Jim 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, LDW1 said:

Well you have justified the lack of simple data for the unsuspecting newcomers, you have let them off the hook !  Not surprising rational from an experienced exp.... , lol !   PS:  It probably saved them a minute amount of time and space to provide a short explanation as to how their batteries will / might perform in below freezing temps, a little curtisy to some that have just spent $ xxx on their product, well done !

Not justifying anything for them, it's based on real world experience and answering many questions where the info was available on the internet quite easily. Like what's True North and what are the operating temps for the Seestar S50!!

Do you expect us to contact ZWO (for example) and pass on your comments?

There's an old adage that says "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink" 

• Haha 1

On 25/09/2023 at 17:07, StevieDvd said:

Not justifying anything for them, it's based on real world experience and answering many questions where the info was available on the internet quite easily. Like what's True North and what are the operating temps for the Seestar S50!!

Do you expect us to contact ZWO (for example) and pass on your comments?

There's an old adage that says "You can take a horse to water but you can't make it drink" 

That adage, doesn't apply ! I don't care who does what, I have been through it all several times, but I still feel justified to point this out, FYI but as usual very few care, lol ! 

• Sad 1

7 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

try an asiair Geoff if you've not already. It pretty much does the same, but with your own kit.

stu

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This evening I tried my Seestar S50 on the Moon.  This didn't go as smoothly as with the Sun. Admittedly the sky conditions were poor, with thin cloud partly obscuring the gibbous Moon.  First I had to calibrate the compass (Duh! so it has an internal compass!)  This involved picking up the Seestar and rotating it (and myself) through 360+ degrees, to close a green arc on the screen.   Then it went searching for the Moon. After a while I realised it had found a streetlamp instead.  (The Seestar is small and black, so one can't see where it is pointing).

2nd attempt: now instructed to calibrate the compass again. Another twirl.  Made sure it was aiming in the general direction of the Moon. Then "Level your Seestar."  Finally, it found the Moon.  The autofocus worked.  I took a still, and a short video. 

V1.52 firmware.

• Like 4

Well, I'm afraid I have got to report a complete lack of success with autofocus on terrestrial targets.

every single time, the autofocus routine goes past the focus point - you will see in the video one frame of sharply focused video as it moves backwards, then it moves forwards again and overshoots it. everytime.

I have yet to manage to focus a single subject even after several attempts. I tried the wall as it is flat, thinking maybe it was having trouble with certain targets - sloping roofs, the antenna, etc - but it is not that  - it just misses the focus point every single time.

I've not had a chance to see if this is the same with night targets yet, but it does not bode well. I'm hoping this is a software fix, or else I am going to be feeling the pain of ordering direct from ZWO.... argggg

Here's a video showing me several times pressing the autofocus.. you will see a sngle 'sharp' frame every routine before it 'finishes' somewhere totally different.

• Sad 1