SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from Gloucester - Celestron Nexstar 130slt

Chrissyfbpe

Hello everyone,

I have inherited a telescope from my neighbour.  Its the celestron one in the title.  I've always found star gazing fascinating so trying it as a hobby.  Any tips or advice welcome.  Its cloudy tonight so I can't use it.

Thanks,

Chrissy x

• Like 3

Hi Chrissy and welcome to SGL from Yate, not far from you.

If you have any questions on the Celestron, be sure to ask. There are plenty of opinions on here! 😉😄

Edited by cajen2
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, cajen2 said:

Hi Chrissy and welcome to SGL from Yate, not far from you.

If you have any questions on the Celestron, be sure to ask. There are plenty of opinions on here! 😉😄

I'm in Stonehouse so not far at all, too cloudy tonight though for the telescope.

6 minutes ago, Chrissyfbpe said:

I'm in Stonehouse so not far at all, too cloudy tonight though for the telescope.

True. I've just got a new rig which I'm dying to try out, but 10 minutes ago, all I could see was Venus and even that's disappeared! 😡

• Sad 1

Hi @Chrissyfbpe and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Best advice to begin with is to do a few 'dummy-runs' during daylight hours. It will not be so infuriating and intimidating if things end up going pear-shaped... and easier to know where things go, etc.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Philip R said:

Hi @Chrissyfbpe and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

Best advice to begin with is to do a few 'dummy-runs' during daylight hours. It will not be so infuriating and intimidating if things end up going pear-shaped... and easier to know where things go, etc.

Thank you Philip I never thought of that.  It is hard trying to fit lenses in and trying things out when its dark.  I'll do that this weekend I think. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, Chrissyfbpe said:

Welcome to SGL! 🙂

I'm even closer....on the other side of J13 to you! It was clear last night, if you were prepared to stay up until gone midnight....

• Like 1

23 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Welcome to SGL! 🙂

I'm even closer....on the other side of J13 to you! It was clear last night, if you were prepared to stay up until gone midnight....

Venus was really bright last night but I was in sleepy la la land before midnight last night 🙂

• Like 1

On 18/04/2023 at 09:25, rwilkey said:

Hi Chrissy and a warm welcome from me, also in the West Country. Good advice above, get used to the mechanics of the telescope in daylight hours.  Clear skies!

I missed an opportunity of clear skies last night.  Its a bit cloudy today, I hope it clears up tonight.  I just had a go with setting up my telescope as I need it (My neighbour helped).  Its ready for viewing this evening.  Fingers crossed the skies go clear.

I want to see Jupiter, when will I be able to see that next in the night sky?

Chrissy x

Hello, and welcome to SGL.

On 17/04/2023 at 21:05, Chrissyfbpe said:

Its supposed to be clear skies later this week in the west country apparently

You will come to realize that "clear later in the week" should be taken with a healthy pinch of salt, especially in the west country. But it does look promising tonight. I have a scope out cooling now.

4 hours ago, Chrissyfbpe said:

I want to see Jupiter, when will I be able to see that next in the night sky?

Jupiter will be skulking around the horizons in morning and evening for a few months, but it will improve in the autumn, best in November.

Have a look here: https://www.skyatnightmagazine.com/advice/skills/astronomy-guide-viewing-planets-night-sky/

• Like 1

You can also use software or the web to see the sky at any time of night (or day!) to plan viewing or imaging sessions, for tonight or any night in the future, which includes planets (I.e.when you can see Jupiter). There are others, but I use Stellarium. There is a free web based version below: 

https://stellarium-web.org

Or you can download a free app to your phone (and then pay to unlock more features), or download it as free software to your computer which gives you everything for free unlike the phone app. I haven’t tried any others (ie cartes du ciel), but I highly recommend Stellarium.

• Like 1

On 22/04/2023 at 23:40, Chrissyfbpe said:

I did some practicing setting up my tripod, using the different lenses and filters today.  I was so looking forward to using the telescope tonight but its rained.  Typical.  😑

Welcome Chrissy!

Which filters are you using?