Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What do these numbers mean under members username?

Talk bubble thingy - how many posts (that count toward you post count - and only those in astro related sections count) you have

Green + thingy - how many likes and other emotions your comment have.

It is sort of "reputation" system. Low post count can indicate novice member (not necessarily - some folk simply don't engage in many discussions - so check join date as well if uncertain), and high "like" count can mean that person contributes to the forum in one way or another (people that post images accumulate a lot of likes, people that give useful advice also get likes, people that post jokes or funny posts get laughs as well).

• Like 1

On 01/03/2023 at 20:10, Zermelo said:

The number ranges also used to map onto a list of astronomical objects, of increasing spectacularity.
They disappeared at some point.

Yes, I remember that, I confess I liked the idea, a bit of silliness that I would like to see reinstated. I will have to write a stiff letter to those that run the show and demand that they are reinstated, I will sign it “I’m Right Miffed Innit,  from North Norfolk” as a bit of culture never goes amiss.

7 minutes ago, Moonshed said:

a bit of silliness that I would like to see reinstated.

I also liked that - but I was not overly fond of being called the brown dwarf all the time (or whatever moniker it was at that time) :D

• Haha 3

I used to like to see the range of astronomical objects in the header. A bit of harmless fun.
But maybe SGL has to give in to political correctness?🤔

Some years ago, before we had to refer to a spade as a 'low technology manually operated cultivation device', we used something to limit customer access to certain online information.
Included in the 'welcome' message was a default password, issued by our software package.
In the message we strongly recommended the customer change it for something else as soon as possible. Which was easy to do.
But quite a few folks could not muster the effort to change things.

The default password was selected from a long list of colours and animals.
The blue parrot, purple donkey, yellow tiger and green porcupine were happy enough.
The white chimp took offence and complained. He seriously thought we were out to insult him.
Now we give them a random assortment of characters that they can't hope to remember☹️

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Sense of humour can be lost without seeing the grin so that's light hearted just in case

Use smileys for that :D

As for the question - don't know the answer. I guess it's combination of join date and number of posts.

2 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

Some years ago, before we had to refer to a spade as a 'low technology manually operated cultivation device', we used something to limit customer access to certain online information.

I know how you feel. Len Goodman, ex Strictly judge, summed it up perfectly for me when he said “I’m a wind-up watch living in a digital age”.  (Please note I wish to cause no offence to those that wear digital watches, or indeed wind-up watches. Humble apologies, discrimination against watches is a terrible thing. No discrimination allowed on my watch!) 😄.

Edited by Moonshed
Wrong teeny weeny little face thingy.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I used to like to see the range of astronomical objects in the header. A bit of harmless fun.
But maybe SGL has to give in to political correctness?🤔

Included in the 'welcome' message was a default password, issued by our software package.
In the message we strongly recommended the customer change it for something else as soon as possible. Which was easy to do.
But quite a few folks could not muster the effort to change things.

The default password was selected from a long list of colours and animals.
The blue parrot, purple donkey, yellow tiger and green porcupine were happy enough.
The white chimp took offence and complained. He seriously thought we were out to insult him.
Now we give them a random assortment of characters that they can't hope to remember☹️

I gather the new software version didn't support the feature any more. Pity, as I was on my way from neutron star to supernova, as I recall

28 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

I gather the new software version didn't support the feature any more. Pity, as I was on my way from neutron star to supernova, as I recall

If you make 100 posts in the astrophotography forum did you automatically get "financial black hole"?

• Haha 6

25 minutes ago, Tomatobro said:

wow if I put the mouse over number it tells me the number...how many lines of code did it take to do that? programmer never started out on a 1k ZX81 that's for sure

1k ZX81? Bet that would be worth a few bob now.

NB: Just found one on eBay asking £750. That’s about how much I paid for my Acer Laptop with 3.2 GHz Intel Core, 4 GB DDR3 Memory…..and so on,  (I’m obviously not a computer geek, only know how to use them.)

1 hour ago, Moonshed said:

1k ZX81? Bet that would be worth a few bob now.

NB: Just found one on eBay asking £750....

The ZX81 isn't worth anywhere near that, they must be in cloud cuckoo land! A lot were made, they are far from rare. Were you actually looking at a ZX80? They are nearer hen's-teeth price.

I still have mine (ZX81), although it has a home-made internal 32K memory mod and yes, it does still work.

Edited by wulfrun
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, wulfrun said:

The ZX81 isn't worth anywhere near that, they must be in cloud cuckoo land! A lot were made, they are far from rare. Were you actually looking at a ZX80? They are nearer hen's-teeth price.

I still have mine (ZX81), although it has a home-made internal 32K memory mod and yes, it does still work.

That being the case regarding the price I must have got my wires crossed somewhere. This is the add I was referring to. I have very limited knowledge about computers so I expect you will put me right regarding this one.

F7010D37-EE43-4AA3-842F-68B82B3941B0.png

2 hours ago, Moonshed said:

That being the case regarding the price I must have got my wires crossed somewhere. This is the add I was referring to. I have very limited knowledge about computers so I expect you will put me right regarding this one.

F7010D37-EE43-4AA3-842F-68B82B3941B0.png

No, you're quite correct and no mistake. Methinks they're dreaming or hoping for a clueless mug!

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Anytime I see stuff like this I always pretend it's money laundering.

I can tell you a short story about money laundering.
Prior to us moving to Spain in 2008 I decided I had to sell my pride and joy, a 2004 3.0 Litre S Type Jag with automatic and voice command everything, including the phone. I advertised it in Exchange & Mart and I had no responses. After a month I had a phone call from a man asking if it was still available and I told him it was. He replied that he didn’t expect me to accept an offer for such a well equipped car and offered the full asking price of £9,000. He turned up next day as agreed, did not so much as cast a glance at the car as he walked past it on the way to the front door, came into the house holding a carrier bag and said “there’s your money.” It was all in cash, all used £20 notes.
My bank was not overly impressed with my explanation as to why I was depositing £9,000 all in used £20 notes!

• Haha 1