Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How safe do you feel?

I generally observe from my back garden. There was a time when I observed from a field of a small holding farmer who had a flock of sheep and 2 Donkey. I asked his permission.

It was located just off a secondary road, with drunk people passing by. I never felt endangered because my observing partners were the Donkies.  They hung around with me all night. I always brought a bag of carrots with me.

• Like 8
  • Haha 3

I've been 100 km off road in Saudi in the desert by myself. 'Fear is the mindkiller', to quote something. The Bedu could be a nosy bunch but never any issues

I had the bejaysus scared out of me by a camel approaching when I was napping one time, they can make an unearthly noise

In Finland I've been out on the rocks near a populated area couple of times at night so far. Had one guy see an LED on the mount and wandered over, hoodie etc. He made an abrupt change in direction when I stepped out from behind the tree, but that was probably Finnish Social Anxiety :)

Also had a charming Finnish woman stop for a chat out walking her dog, she was interested in which stars I was looking at. Also had another guy stop for a chat again walking a dog, he had a telescope in his apartment and was interested in the rig

My recommendation: Find a local group or local astronomers and head out in a group of two or three. Predators pick easy targets

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, LukeSkywatcher said:

I generally observe from my back garden. There was a time when I observed from a field of a small holding farmer who had a flock of sheep and 2 Donkey. I asked his permission.

It was located just off a secondary road, with drunk people passing by. I never felt endangered because my observing partners were the Donkies.  They hung around with me all night. I always brought a bag of carrots with me.

Give the donkeys cider. They will defend you to the death

• Haha 2

Speaking of dogs and camels, there was this one time we were out and a big herd came over so I decided to get some photos. A bunch changed direction and before I knew it they were around me, then a womans dog started yapping and they stampeded. It's funny how the mind works. Like the times I've come off a motorcycle, time slows down and I just thought they will try to avoid me if I stay still, which I did

Edited by 900SL

Interesting.

I guess your feelings of safety are dependent upon knowing your area. I live in a lovely (generally) peaceful little rural town but it's maybe 15 miles from less-nice places and youngsters come this way for some fun... they use our high street as a race track; in summer evenings our house alarm goes off as they try to hack the car locks in the dealership over the road; etc etc... So, they may not plan of telescope stealing but a solitary person in a field in the middle of the night is an invitation for some fun.

Maybe an answer is to observe from under a tree where you don't stand out, and move around the tree when you want to point the other way.. Or, simply; don't go out by yourself.

Alternatively, does anyone know where I can hire some donkeys?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I too live in rural Hampshire and drive 10 mins to a couple of local darker sites.

I was at one of those sites a couple of evenings last week. The site is actually a bit of hardcore at a field edge that provides uninterrupted views South/SouthWest but flat(ish) and accessible. The country lane beside seems to have waay more traffic on it than you would think. A car every 5 mins or so.

On both days, a yoof in a shouty exhaust'd Golf stopped to give me some grief from the window and drove off. The 2nd time, a couple of days later, he stopped and i think he shouted 'you again!' or similar.

I don't have a concern about my own safety, i can look after myself but i want to avoid a situation where for fun, they get out the car, start messing about and knock my 'scope over. You can picture the scene right... ''ere mate, lets have a look...'.

I also wonder why he would stop. At the point where he can see my car in his headlights, he wouldn't be able to see me so I do wonder if he is on the look out for lone cars perhaps to break into. No-one else passing seems to find it necessary to slow down/stop!

Stay Safe!

I haven't been out yet as I'm still waiting for my first setup to be delivered. 

I have been thinking about this subject though as the street I live on seem to be pretty lit up, as well as all the neighbours on either sides seem to have their gardens lit up like Christmas trees (funny how you don't notice things like that until you take up astronomy). I live in Chesterfield Derbyshire and I only live about 20 minutes drive from Surprise View in the Peak District, which is listed as a dark site. 

I plan to go there, but I was wondering how safe it is...also I have a Mustang GTI so I could be prime meat for car jackers. as well as equipment jackers!

I'm thinking stay close to the car and have my torque wrench at hand........

1 hour ago, Bargy said:

I have been thinking about this subject though as the street I live on seem to be pretty lit up, as well as all the neighbours on either sides seem to have their gardens lit up like Christmas trees.

That's a common problem for people who live close to other (less enlightened? 😁) neighbors.  Many people set up light blocking screens of various sorts when observing from home.  I use black polyester shower curtains on a PVC pipe frame or a couple large, shallow cardboard boxes clamped onto my deck rail, but you can find a lot of different ideas on the astro forums.

(I really wanted to plant a row of arbor vitae to provide a natural screen, but the home owners association wouldn't allow it.)

Edited by jjohnson3803

Never had a bad encounter and lots of great ones.  My favourite was whilst imaging the MW over beach huts atMilkyWayReunion.thumb.jpg.a20f52e8795f5702f9affe783a4dd328.jpg Wells.  A group of local youths came wandering over wanting to know what I was doing.  I showed them what I had on the camera screen and they were very excited.  I got them to stand on the steps of one of the huts and took a 30 sec snap which I sent to them a few days later.  The response I got back was one of the nicest emails I have ever received.

• Like 15

1 hour ago, Bargy said:

I live in Chesterfield Derbyshire and I only live about 20 minutes drive from Surprise View in the Peak District, which is listed as a dark site. 

I'm in Chesterfield as well and many years ago used the carparking area at the Surprise view, the night-sky makes a fabulous vista from up there. But.... a recent visit to the site and I didn't even get set up, due to a convoy of boy racers speeding up and down the road, screaming their heads off and trying to impress their girlfriends by doing handbrake turns in the carpark. Yawn!!!

It may be a Chesterfield thing because all my neighbors up at Brimington seem to have fairy lights in the garden as well, though it's not really a problem for me because my garden faces South looking over farmland.

I too am having the same problems. Here in Sardinia we have the advantage of being few inhabitants, so leaving my village in central Sardinia (Orotelli), I would find quite dark skies but I too have problems making bad encounters; the ideal thing would be to go out in a group, at least to be more emotionally safe. In the end I ended up settling for my terrace, at night you can see the Milky Way, even if less well than 30 – 40 years ago, once using an achromatic 70/400 (the Celestron Travelscope) I arrived at magnitude + 10 observing the Pleiades. Of course if I remember the sky I saw a few years ago in the countryside of Dorgali (village about 40 km from mine) ........, there were so many stars that I could not recognize the constellations, absolutely fantastic!

10 minutes ago, Gonariu said:

there were so many stars that I could not recognize the constellations, absolutely fantastic!

One time when on holiday in Arizona my wife and I were driven out to a remote area in the Sonoran Desert so we could admire the incredible dark sky. Like you I was so overwhelmed by the sheer number of stars it took me a while to find my bearings. I have never seen so many naked eye stars before or since. An amazing experience!

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Moonshed said:

One time when on holiday in Arizona my wife and I were driven out to a remote area in the Sonoran Desert so we could admire the incredible dark sky. Like you I was so overwhelmed by the sheer number of stars it took me a while to find my bearings. I have never seen so many naked eye stars before or since. An amazing experience!

I lived in Tucson on the edge of town and remember clearly being able to see the Milky Way. It was 30years ago and that house is now only 1/2 way to the edge of town. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Blahblahman said:

I lived in Tucson on the edge of town and remember clearly being able to see the Milky Way. It was 30years ago and that house is now only 1/2 way to the edge of town. 

A sad reflection on modern times, however, we all have to live somewhere but with proper light pollution controls population expansion could be managed so much better.

@Bargy @franklin

I live in Chestefield as well!  I'm a member of the Chesterfield Astronomical Society.  We are trying to arrange group evenings every now and then at darker sites in the Peak District.  

• Like 1

19 hours ago, MartinB said:

@Bargy @franklin

I live in Chestefield as well!  I'm a member of the Chesterfield Astronomical Society.  We are trying to arrange group evenings every now and then at darker sites in the Peak District.  

Interesting, let me know if anything comes up. I came up to the Observatory a few weeks ago when we actually had a clear sky on a Friday night!

Edited by Bargy
spelling
  • Like 1

The only time I have ventured out to anywhere apart from a camping site I took another Astro chum with me.  The only reason I went then was to capture comet Neowise which was behind the houses where I live.  Normally I go to Camping sites where there are other people around, either other astronomers or sometimes Joe public.  Feels safer that way.

Carole  

Edited by carastro
  • Like 3

I have no worries about anything when i am out at night.  I live in the middle of nowhere surrounded by empty fields.  I have no reason to really set up elsewhere unless i am helping with an outreach program.  I guess my biggest concern would be having a rabid skunk or racoon wander into the area.  

Absolutely, it’s when I feel safest, happiest, most comfortable and content. It’s in towns and cities where I feel least comfortable. I am from the Peak District, I spent most of my childhood playing on the moors, sometimes at night, even in the snow. 

• Like 1