Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

How safe do you feel?

IMG_1918.thumb.jpeg.bba2d9401d527d8db65ebb7166f138d2.jpeg

Almost stepped on this handsome fellow at an observing site. He was buzzing away but I never heard him because I had earbuds in listening to a podcast. Fortunately we parted friends.

• Like 5

On 17/06/2023 at 05:43, 900SL said:

What about Alien abduction? I've heard on good account this is a real and present risk for the American astronomer at dark sky locations. Or will a chupacabra bite your neck? Interested bystanders need to know!

Nonsense and fairy tales.  What you need to watch for here is Sasquatch.

squatch in woods.png

Edited by jjohnson3803

On 18/06/2023 at 21:49, Jim L said:

Almost stepped on this handsome fellow at an observing site. He was buzzing away but I never heard him because I had earbuds in listening to a podcast. Fortunately we parted friends.

What kind of snake is that?  Kinda looks like a copperhead but the color is off

On 19/06/2023 at 02:49, Jim L said:

I will NEVER worry  about clouds again 😂, after seeing this i am more than happy that we don't encounter such creatures (generally) in the UK 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

I will NEVER worry  about clouds again 😂, after seeing this i am more than happy that we don't encounter such creatures (generally) in the UK 

I've encountered a few Vipers (Adders) while hiking through wild wilderness here in the UK. But on each occasion they quickly scurried off when disturbed.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, bosun21 said:

I've encountered a few Vipers (Adders) while hiking through wild wilderness here in the UK. But on each occasion they quickly scurried off when disturbed.

Likewise. Adders are pretty shy and will normally skeddadle before you get too near.

3 hours ago, Mike Q said:

What kind of snake is that?  Kinda looks like a copperhead but the color is off

My wife, who researches these things, tells me it’s a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. Much like us they’re nocturnal, and not aggressive, but they will bite you if threatened or cornered, or if you accidentally step on one while listening to your favorite Astronomy podcast. They’re third on my list of wild animal concerns, below mountain lions and bears but above wild boars.

1 hour ago, Jim L said:

My wife, who researches these things, tells me it’s a Northern Pacific Rattlesnake. Much like us they’re nocturnal, and not aggressive, but they will bite you if threatened or cornered, or if you accidentally step on one while listening to your favorite Astronomy podcast. They’re third on my list of wild animal concerns, below mountain lions and bears but above wild boars.

I looked for a rattle but couldnt make it out.  I hate snakes with a passion.  Not the ones the size of a telephone pole.... I can see those coming, its the ones that are 3 foot and order that you dont know are there until you step on them. 

My wife and I used to hike the Hong Kong trails in the hills above HK.  We were running down one of the overgrown access tracks near a dam when I noticed my wife  (who was leading) suddenly start a comedy arm flailing routine as she tried to go full astern whilst running downhill on slippy cobbles.

Then I noticed the fat black root across the path was actually moving and had reared its head.  I managed to pull up but Wifey couldn't stop and ended up jumping over what turned out to be a 6' Chinese Cobra. That could have spoiled our day. We came close to treading on snakes a few times, in the end I used to take a stick to tap the ground as we walked along.

On 28/02/2023 at 19:39, 900SL said:

I've been 100 km off road in Saudi in the desert by myself. 'Fear is the mindkiller', to quote something.    

I remember that, had to memorise it
“I must not fear.

Fear is the mind-killer.

Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration.

I will face my fear.

I will permit it to pass over me and through me.

And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path.

Where the fear has gone there will be nothing.

Only I will remain.”

Edited by iapa
  • Like 2

On 19/06/2023 at 11:49, Jim L said:

[Word Removed] that for a joke... I can't stand snakes and it makes it that much worse living in an area which has Red Bellied Black, Eastern Brown and Tiger snakes... the eastern brown [Word Removed] is one of the deadliest snakes on the planet and this sucker chases you if it has a bad day... get bitten by one and be alone or more than 15 minutes from help and you'll probably be unconscious unable to breathe as it's venom effects your nervous system... the Tiger is very deadly too although it will not chase you.. BUT those [removed word]'s are camouflaged and people get bitten when they're near one or step on one... The red bellies avoid confrontation and slither away, but will bite if trapped or stepped on... if a healthy adult gets bitten, their day and week will be ruined but most survive, although advised to get anti venom.... 

not mentioning spiders... Funnel Webs, red back, white tips oh my....

On 17/06/2023 at 20:43, 900SL said:

What about Alien abduction? I've heard on good account this is a real and present risk for the American astronomer at dark sky locations. Or will a chupacabra bite your neck? Interested bystanders need to know!

Aliens tend to do a lot of probing... and from what I hear... many americans would enjoy that...

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, MarsG76 said:

Aliens tend to do a lot of probing... and from what I hear... many americans would enjoy that...

The voice of experience, perchance?  🤔