Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What time do you set up?

delilahtwinkle

Hello Stargazers,

While I was setting my 130p up the other night around 10.00pm ish with a view to start observing at midnight, I thought I may be doing this a bit too late. These times seem best for me mainly because of work hours. I just wondered what time everyone else views the sky and why you choose that time.

I think I might start to view when I finish work which means I will be out any time between 4 and 5am. Do you think this would be a good move. I'd not get long would I, it's light by 6! Which brings me to how long do you stay out? Silly question I suppose, especially for me up here in Cumbria. I stay out till the clouds arrive :) Happy viewing, Dt.

The best time to set up is the time that suits you best.

For the people that are not retired yet :) the best time is governed mainly by work so if midnight suits you then thats just fine.

assuming it's still dark 4- 5am is a good time.

Seeing is usually at it's best then.

All my stuff lives in the garage - so it's close to temperture all the time. I usually allow about 30 - 45 minutes cool down time.

Ant

Hi dt :)

I've only recently received by SW 130pm, and have had 3 nights of observing so far (mainly just testing it out, getting a feel for it). I have tried to put the scope outside around 3 hours before I want to start observing as I keep the scope in my bedroom, which can sometimes be warm. I think, from what I've read, 3 hours is more than enough to allow the scope to cool.

I tend to start anytime between 9 and 12, although my preferred time is around midnight. I prefer this time because most of my neighbours are in bed and there is less chance of a bedroom/security light being switched on :) Other times, I plan to start observing for the time my Sky at Night magazine starmap is relevant for: this changes as the month goes on. It's only early days for me yet, but I like to have a good couple of hours, and I have been planning things to seek out, which makes it more productive. I focus on one star or a small area and work hard to get that in the FOV, instead of messing around and hopping from star to another, doing a half-decent job. But that is just me ;)

Amanda

As soon as i see my alignmentstars i,m setting up, albeit that dont take long with it all housed in an Obs .

once set up , i just go back indoors for complete darkness, then its all systems go for locating my target, then all the other things that go towards getting the imaging going .

Rog:)

I have a pretty hectic schedule and live in a flat so I seldom go out much with the big scope. Normally I use my small Nexstar whenever its clear from out of the main windows in the flat - its not perfect but its better than nothing.

The Nexstar can sit on the window sill usually and the views are pretty good considering I have Gatwick to the south a brighlt lit industrial estate next door which rules out views of the North and the East. I only have the south to look at over a heavily light polluted area and a slightly less light polluted western view.

I can use the Nexstar at any time really - normally between about 10pm and 2am depending on work and whether the view is up to much.

Last night I got some good viewing in with binos at about 10pm of the moon followed up by some pretty good views of Saturn through the Nexstar at around 11pm.

Its just the curse of living in a top floor flat really and I resigned myself ages ago to the fact that my seeing would be limited to probably not much more than 5-10 times a year at most with the big scope.

at the moment the lightening skies in the morning and the evening are working against me since i work nights. as a result apart from the two nights im off, i tend to have to either rush out at 6.15 am or plan ahead and get the scope out in time for a look in the evening up to 9.30 pm.

the advantage of course is that on my two nights off im happy to stay awake all night, the downside is that inevitably they are the two nights with the worst weather :)

Hopefully April the 13th... if the weather even partialy plays ball :)

When the Permenant Mains power, Alarm system(s) and CCTV should be finished in and around the obs...

Then its trying to improve the polar alignment scope co-alignment and colimaation and tidy up the pier wiring...

I Can't wait...

in the past its been difficult to view as i lived in a flat and when ever i took the scope out i would set it up but when i finished the clouds always rolled in, but ive recently moved to a house with a garden, yes the LP is still quite bad but the upside is i have bought one of those metal sheds and i have the scope already setup in there so when i get a clear minute i just bring out the scope and away i go. well thats the theory, not tried it yet but heres hoping. As for a time its usually between 10pm and 2am for me.

My telescope is on the tripod in the garden all year round, covered with protective layers of large industrial polythene bags. So I guess the only limits are work schedule and clouds. When the sky clears, uncover telescope, align and away I go. I reckon I can be observing within 5 mins of going outside. The best time really is when you can fit it in.:)

It depends on what I'm wanting to do and which scope I'm going to use. The fracs just go out and get going within a few minutes. The Mak requires a little more planning to get it out and cooling. I can have the HEQ5 out, setup and PA'ed in about 5 minutes. If it's only clear gaps in the clouds I will often just dash out with my bins for a look around.

Setting up when it's light out works well for me. It's easy to see what I'm doing, and the equipment's cooled by the time it's dark enough to do the final tweak on the polar alignment. The length of the session can run from a few hours to all night.

I drag the 16" out at least 90mins before I intend to first use it. For the imaging set up I go out as the light is starting to fade and let it cool for about 45 mins. When it's dark enough to see a star I do the dirft alignment thing and then test the guiding, then do the focus on the camera and start snapping away, usually bin the first couple of subs as it's not properly dark by then. Once the imaging set up is snapping away then the 16" had normally cooled down enough and ready to use. Due to work I do most of my astronomy in the evenings.:)

Sam

I set up as soon as I can - mid afternoon if it's the weekend and I'm pretty sure it'll be clear but more usually about 9pm after the kids are in bed and dinners been eaten.

As to how long I stay out... right up until about a year ago it was until dawn but nowadays I have to go in around 2-3am as my youngest usually gets me up around 6.30am. It's awfully hard dealing with the little tyrant after just 20 minutes sleep :)

James

Archived