NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Heads up - Jupiter now

CraigT82

4 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Jupiter is looking fabulous right now. GRS dead centre. Seeing good here in Somerset

Didn’t realise you were a Somerset boy Craig. Should meet up sometime 👍

7 hours ago, Stu said:

Didn’t realise you were a Somerset boy Craig. Should meet up sometime 👍

Yes in Taunton now (Wife’s hometown), though don’t think I’ll ever be a true Somerset boy as I can’t stand cider 😂

IIRC you’re in Crewkerne aren’t you… meet up would be great 👍🏼 

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, CraigT82 said:

Yes in Taunton now (Wife’s hometown), though don’t think I’ll ever be a true Somerset boy as I can’t stand cider 😂

IIRC you’re in Crewkerne aren’t you… meet up would be great 👍🏼 

I’m with you on the cider! 🤣🤣

Sounds good!

Yes in Taunton now (Wife’s hometown), though don’t think I’ll ever be a true Somerset boy as I can’t stand cider 😂.

On 10/02/2023 at 07:09, Stu said:

I’m with you on the cider! 🤣🤣

Sounds good!

So, neither Craig or Stu can claim to be "Somerset Inciders"??

Sorry. :help::hiding:

Dave

Edited by F15Rules
Additional text info
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Yes in Taunton now (Wife’s hometown), though don’t think I’ll ever be a true Somerset boy as I can’t stand cider 😂.

Dave

Ah, but can you handle the cider, Dave?

20 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

I think it was Scrumpy night during Fresher’s week at Uni 35 years ago that made me decide that Cider does not agree with me! 🤢🤣

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

I think it was Scrumpy night during Fresher’s week at Uni 35 years ago that made me decide that Cider does not agree with me! 🤢🤣

I had an unfortunate night with mates when I was 17 in the 1970s..never having drunk cider before, I had 5 pints of draught Strongbow in 90 minutes at our local in Coventry, The Dive (Lady Godiva), and had to be driven home (fortunately my parent were away on holiday!) by a mate who kept saying "don't chuck up in my car, whatever you do!!"..

I did have to stop at a layby, but managed not to mess up his precious Ford Corsair!!

I did learn a lesson and have never drunk more than one pint of cider in an evening, ever since!🤦

And these days I much prefer a nice Craft beer pint or an IPA👍.

Dave

• Like 1

On 09/02/2023 at 18:56, CraigT82 said:

Went downhill for me after dark. When the sky was still blue I could make out more detail in the belts and polar hoods than I’ve seen in a long time. 

I feel like I’m going track talking about Jupiter now 😂 but… With the comment above in mind, I got out with the frac to see Jupiter while it was still quite light out. Similar to Craig, enjoyed some of my best views of Jupiter in recent weeks. I’m sure being higher with improved seeing helped too. It made me think of some of my best sessions on Jupiter/Saturn. Nearly all have been early evening or around dawn. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

I feel like I’m going track talking about Jupiter now 😂 but… With the comment above in mind, I got out with the frac to see Jupiter while it was still quite light out. Similar to Craig, enjoyed some of my best views of Jupiter in recent weeks. I’m sure being higher with improved seeing helped too. It made me think of some of my best sessions on Jupiter/Saturn. Nearly all have been early evening or around dawn. 

Just back from walking my dog and I couldn't keep my eyes of Jupiter;  what a wonderful sight, hanging like some great jewel in the evening sky.  Really beautiful and you don't even need a telescope to enjoy it. :) 

Jim 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, saac said:

Just back from walking my dog and I couldn't keep my eyes of Jupiter;  what a wonderful sight, hanging like some great jewel in the evening sky.  Really beautiful and you don't even need a telescope to enjoy it. :) 

Jim 

Absolutely. You didn’t have to look too far down to see Venus too

8DB3D802-F8F8-48D9-937D-87D86ED10CDA.thumb.jpeg.92e1dd3d6e8f7f4c2ed01e3ada8f10fd.jpeg

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

Same here. I’ve also found that around dawn the air is much stiller than in the early part of the night. Could be that being in an urban environment buildings etc have had a time to cool down. I too think that Jupiter looks at its best with some light in the sky. Maybe because your eyes are better at seeing colours then. 

And at the end of January my daughter had a couple of friends over. However, they were leaving at 5:30pm so not to be outdone I managed to locate Jupiter in the afternoon (at about 3:45pm). The kids thought it was amazing that you could see a planet in the eyepiece but look up at the sky and then there appeared to be nothing. As it got darker we watched the 4 Galilean moons appear like magic and we were also treated to the GRS. Some of the best views of Jupiter that I’ve had and a lot of that was in daylight. 

• Like 3

10 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Low and fuzzy here. Doesn't help looking through the top of a bush...

The whole sky is fuzzy here as I now have total cloud cover. And it was a lovely sunny day with a forecast for a clear night. Just as well I did some solar and gut a look at Venus.