Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LP killing the view

cotterless45

8 hours ago, wookie1965 said:

I have said its for security and I would be complaining if I was burgled.

Bright lights don't help. If dodgy characters want your stuff they will have a go, lights or no lights.

Our cul de sac is very well (overly) lit, including an LED street lamp at the bottom of our front lawn just a few metres from our driveway. Five years ago we were burgled for car keys during the early hours and a new car stolen. Having that LED and another just across the road made absolutely no difference.

Btw has anyone else noticed the Alien/PRC/Illuminati* drone hovering in Wookie's yard?!

*Delete as applicable.

• Like 2

When the local lights were being switched to LEDs I noticed a big drop in the quality of the southern view. I rarely see anything below 45 degress in that direction now apart from planets. Locally it seemed to improve a bit from the changes to the light spill

The view south. Southend off to the left and Basildon off to the rightD34_2559.thumb.jpg.c0a0f967595ef70b68bfd75c875284f8.jpg

The view east, same settings, same night, same spot

D34_2557.thumb.jpg.01330355210165ea829be4d4cd8936a0.jpg

Edited by Mognet
  • Sad 3

People can get used to anything. I had family living in Feltham who had got used to a constant mush of white noise which rose, as fights went overhead, to a volume making conversation impossible in the garden. At its quietest it was still quite loud. It's the same with light pollution. People have got used to it and even come to fear the dark, associating light with security. The question is, why should we have to get used to it? It is unspeakably vile. I live in a house with, in effect, no light pollution and I find staying with family in town very unpleasant once night fails to fall. It is unnatural and bad for the spirit. I love seeing the family but, ack, that orange glow...

Olly

• Like 1

Those of us who have an audience (myself and other associates of IDA dark sky areas) are doing all we can to educate others about the scourge of light pollution though public talks, local campaigns and planetarium shows at school. We have to educate people about the precious resource of dark skies to keep a healthy ecosystem and a healthy humanity but show them how much has been lost. It's gone beyond stargazers wanting  to see a pretty star-spangled sky....(one comment I had was "why should I turn my lights off for a niche interest?) 

Not to mention the precious energy resources we are burning up for the sake of unnecessary 24 hour lighting. 

As a friend said to me the other day that one of humanity's primal fears is the dark....a lot of re-education is needed.

• Like 3