NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Not Another Newbie!!

C.Garth

Hey,

Just thought I'd come say hello.

My name is Craig. i am 19 years old and I live in S.Yorkshire. I have found myself looking up at night and wondering. I recently got to view the moon through a telescope. Somthing that isnt a big deal. I found myself really wanting to view it again and see what else is out there.

I came across this forum and it has been very useful, showing me that astronomy is a lot deeper then most people think.

Just so that people know i will be asking a lot of questions to help me get set up and observing.

So please bare with me. ;) We all start somewhere lol.

Welcome newbie. We all started out knowing nothing.

One of the great things about astronomy as a hobby it has so many layers you can stay on the surface or dive in deep, it is up to you. Whichever you do it's all enjoyable.

A word of warning though - it can take over your life and empty your wallet.

Mike

i have read that it is better to start off with, star charts and binos.

Just wondering what strength i should look for to get an okay result.

Plus im not very good with the jargon. any help?

Welcome to SGL Garth! If you want a pair of binoculars you could start with a pair of 10x50 (that's 10 magnification and a 50mm lens). Lidls have these on sale this week for £15 - lots of people on here have bought them and they're great value.

Helen

Welcome newbie. We all started out knowing nothing.

One of the great things about astronomy as a hobby it has so many layers you can stay on the surface or dive in deep, it is up to you. Whichever you do it's all enjoyable.

A word of warning though - it can take over your life and empty your wallet.

Mike

True, it can take up your life and empty your wallet, but worth every minute and penny!

It has taken me 54 years and I am skint!

Vlad

Knowing Nowt is where we all started Craig, stick around this forum and the newbie tag will soon drop off. Getting a pair of Binos is a great start, and very usefull in Identifying the stepping stones that will guide you to Deeper space objects. Unfortunately most of those require a scope, but first steps first. If you need to ask specific questions, then you will always get answers from SGL. A veritable Mine of Information resides here.

Cheers.

Ron.;)

hi craig and welcome,

10x50 will get you started and will come in handy during cloudy nights,

the forum has a binos section so have a look at that as well.

regards ron.s.g

ps always someone to answer your questions on here as they are a great bunch

Archived