SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

The joy of socks (let's talk about socks, baby)

3 hours ago, Ratlet said:

should have tried paring them top to tail!

Ah! Thus creating an entangled pair !!

I used to think my wife was a witch because she could always find me a matching pair (accompanied by a "withering look" ) where I had previously failed miserably. Now I realise the look was that of a trained quantum physicist correctly observing the heap and thus collapsing the wave functions.

Always have plenty of freshly washed and dried wool socks that, at each session,  two  (see what I did there - avoided "pair") can be placed on each foot with wide shoes or boots.

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, DaveS said:

Whenever you put socks in the washing machine one will be exchanged for a hideous pink and green monstrosity from the planet Zog. Washing machines are the best wormhole generators known to humankind.

Zog'ist !

• 2 months later...

A bit late with the follow up, but fortunately it's still cold at night.  Decided to try these out from Amazon.  40% alpaca, 45% wool 15% synthetic blend.  Just wearing them in the house and I must say they are very toasty.  Will try them out in anger if the skies clear.

PXL_20230319_200135027.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wookie1965 said:

I'll grab a pack of them next.  All my decent thick socks are falling apart now and wearing through so I'm due replacements.

• Like 1

I use heat holders socks and over sized sorel boots.The socks wear out quickly if you walk in them but not if you are standing around, and they are super warm.

The boots are crazy hot, your feet and lower legs become radiators passing heat back to your body because it can't get out through the boots. The link below is the closest I can find to my boots which it looks like they don't make any more.

https://heatholders.co.uk/products/mens-original-heat-holders-socks-6-11-uk-39-45-eur?variant=29960345321581

https://www.sorelfootwear.co.uk/p/mens-1964-pac-nylon-boot-1855191.html?dwvar_1855191_color=011

I'm finding it comforting that there are others who are as passionate as me that the important thing for warm feet isn't just the socks, it's making sure your feet aren't to tight in the boot.

• Like 2

What gets me with socks is you never seem to be able to match them all up when they come out of the washing machine.  So do they get separated BEFORE they go in the wash, or does the Washing machine gobble them up?

My husband has a drawer of unmatching socks hoping their partners will turn up some day.  🤣

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, carastro said:

What gets me with socks is you never seem to be able to match them all up when they come out of the washing machine.  So do they get separated BEFORE they go in the wash, or does the Washing machine gobble them up?

My husband has a drawer of unmatching socks hoping their partners will turn up some day.  🤣

I’m not bothered if they match as long as they keep my feet WARM🥵😊

5 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Something else to consider for cold patios:

DSC_0161_DxO1200.jpg.d144382903a68a4aef17250c8778a0c9.jpg

I need to get a patio first!  I've just about convinced the missus that we should have a circular slab about the same size as the dob base in middle of the grass.

Then I need to convince her that we need to take down the washing line and replace it with a peir.

2 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

I only ever work off a patio. I put a waterproof picnic blanket down first, then if it's cold, these foam floor tiles around the scope :smile:

My grass is suffering massively from my nocturnal activities.

I need to rejig the garden and move a couple of the veg beds to where there used to be some trees so I can get a bit to put slabs down and maybe a pier.