Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Interesting new Starfield apo at FLO

New Starfield Gear 115mm Apo on FLO website caught my attention this morning. But can it really be 3.7kg, or 4.2kg with rings as advertised? For a 115mm triplet? If so that’s astonishingly light.
Although not described as such, I believe it uses FPL/53 glass, which explains the £2.2k price. 

I wonder how it compares to the TS-Optics PHOTOLINE 115 mm f/7 TripletOrion EON 115mm ED Triplet and Astro-Tech AT115EDT F/7 ED Triplet refractors.  It costs quite a bit more (over $1000 more) than any of those, so it might be using FPL-53 glass.  However, why wouldn't @FLO advertise that fact?  Perhaps they can chime in and clarify.

• Like 1

Yes, the 80mm version is 3.75kg so 4.2kg for the much bigger 115 is definitely incorrect. 

15lbs (why are they quoting weights in imperial pounds ?) seems more like it : closer to 7kg. Triplets of that size are quite heavy.

----------------

My own 140mm scope is noted for being one of the lightest in its class : 8.2kg on its own and 9.5kg with rings, plate & finder. Not bad considering the large focuser.

As its not 'air-spaced' the cell design is quite a bit smaller, saving some weight.

Despite that, 140mm is as big a refractor that i can manage at my age.

21 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

I wonder why is it so expensive, given that it is FPL-51 triplet that usually goes about £1000 less:

https://www.altairastro.com/ts-optics-photoline-115-f7-ed-triplet-refractor-10171-p.asp

Indeed. And just how does it have quote :

• Shorter cooling time than similarly specified triplet telescopes
  • Like 1

38 minutes ago, Space Hopper said:

----------------

My own 140mm scope is noted for being one of the lightest in its class : 8.2kg on its own and 9.5kg with rings, plate & finder. Not bad considering the large focuser.

That is light for a 140mm. My TSA-120 is 6.7kg and I thought that was very good for a large-ish triplet. 

• Like 1

Yes, the other versions I linked to quote 13 to 15 pounds.  I think the variance can be accounted for with whether or not the rings are included in the weight.

OPT is also selling the StarField Gear Series f/7 115mm Triplet for $2,130+tax.  Their description states FPL-53 glass:

The StarField Gear Series f/7 115mm Triplet APO Telescope with FPL53 changes the game in wide field imaging.

The StarField website description does not specify glass type, however.

FLO is including a hard case with theirs.  Orion seems to be the only one else including a hard case.

19 minutes ago, Louis D said:

The StarField Gear Series f/7 115mm Triplet APO Telescope with FPL53 changes the game in wide field imaging.

I'm not entirely sure that I'd buy into that FPL53 claim :D

115 with FPL51 already has excellent correction and I don't really see the point of going with FPL53 with that aperture at F/7

2 hours ago, Louis D said:

However, why wouldn't @FLO advertise that fact?  Perhaps they can chime in and clarify.

Starfield isn't a FLO brand, so we have only photos and information from our supplier.

I will investigate 🙂 

Steve 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

115 with FPL51 already has excellent correction and I don't really see the point of going with FPL53 with that aperture at F/7

Callig it a game changer is a bit much, I agree. At a similar focal length, and lighter weight, I will stick with my Meade SN6 6" F/5 Schmidt-Newton. It was also ridiculously cheap. Correction perhaps not quite as good as a top of the line apochromat, but at twice the light gathering capacity, and no diffraction spikes it makes me wonder why SN6 was discontinued. I am sometimes tempted by various Mak-Newts, as well

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Louis D said:

OPT is also selling the StarField Gear Series f/7 115mm Triplet for $2,130+tax. 

That's an easy fix. At today's currency exchange rate (incl import Duty & tax) that is equivalent to £2,167. I have reset our price to £2,098 🙂 

Still looking ... 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

That was the other retailer. We don't have spec's for the ED glass so are not identifying it on our product page.

We are confident the optics are same as others sold under various brands. We suspect it is FPL51 or equivalent. I was wrong, it is 'equivalent to FPL53'. 

53 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

We agree 🙂 

Still looking ... 

14 minutes ago, michael.h.f.wilkinson said:

Callig it a game changer is a bit much 

The spiel is a little ambitious. It is not a new telescope. But it is a long-established design that has performed very well over the years. A lot of SGL owners own one, in one form or another.

When launched (years ago, before Starfield!) I recall there were some issues with pinching when used in sub-zero temperatures, but that was solved long ago with an updated cell. 

We will write our own content soon. 

Still looking ... 

1 hour ago, Louis D said:

OPT is also selling the StarField Gear Series f/7 115mm Triplet for $2,130+tax.  

17 minutes ago, FLO said:

That's an easy fix. At today's currency exchange rate (incl import Duty & tax) that is equivalent to £2,167. I have reset our price to £2,098 🙂 

Still looking ... 

Looking at the same website, their price for the 80mm is $1,330. At today's currency exchange rate (incl import Duty & tax) that is equivalent to £1,353. So our £1,349 price is 'bang on the money' 🙂 

Still looking ... 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, FLO said:

We are confident the optics are same as others sold under various brands. We suspect it is FPL51 or equivalent.

I was wrong. There are two versions available. One with FPL51, or equivalent, and another with FPL53, or equivalent. 

The Starfield version is the latter so I have added 'equivalent to FPL53' to the product description. (We will replace the full description with our own soon). 

Still looking ... 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, FLO said:

Regarding weights, I'll need to ask one of my colleagues in the warehouse to open and weigh one of each.

I'll do that tomorrow and then update our page if necessary. 

Tomorrow's Saturday so it will be Monday 🙂 

• 4 weeks later...

While at my local star party this past August I met the owner of Starfield, very pleasant fellow, he had the 115 on display and mentioned they come with test report (though I cannot say if that costs extra by request). Upon handling the scope for a good while I was impressed with its smoothness and construction, the focuser was very smooth, I was tempted. Below are a couple of screenshots from a video clip I took, maybe it will be of use to someone considering this scope as it includes a closeup of the focuser. Under the dew shield is the paperwork including the test report which is provided with the scope as I was told.

9B4AD1EB-DD27-4CD9-8D61-139B52B6F6BF.png

4FA16F73-FF2D-454D-AE3F-E66FA4D5CA8A.png

Edited by Sunshine