SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Cloudy Week Ahead UK

scotty1

The Met Office and BBC Westher is telling me it is clear at the moment here in the east. Accuweather and Apple’s weather app says it’s cloudy. For the moment, I’m all set up and waiting, hoping my taxes are on the money tonight. 

At least I got a good 90 minutes in last night just before midnight, but was left hungry for more :)

Was clear but have just come in and sat24 shows it's about to cloud. The visibility was awful though so tried platesolving for a first and managed to solve once and sync the mount yey! Solving was probably not helped by using a planetary camera with x1.6 barlow, slow going on a 7 inch tablet but doable. 

Down south at least there’s a suggestion in the forecast that Monday night & Tuesday morning might actually be clear. I have work on Tuesday but if it does turn out clear I’ll still go for the lack of sleep - with lack of clear sky’s it has to be done!

There has obviously been a lot of rain, but I've also noticed that (here in the South West, at any rate) the forecasts have been very inaccurate over the last 2-3 weeks. In particular, Clear Outside has often been saying "100% cloud" when the sky outside has been perfectly clear. The BBC and Met Office forecasts have been a bit better.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Zermelo said:

There has obviously been a lot of rain, but I've also noticed that (here in the South West, at any rate) the forecasts have been very inaccurate over the last 2-3 weeks. In particular, Clear Outside has often been saying "100% cloud" when the sky outside has been perfectly clear. The BBC and Met Office forecasts have been a bit better.

Agreed, we’ve had a few unexpectedly clear nights recently, though unfortunately I haven’t been able to make use of them 🤪

• Like 1

Scotland's resident Facebook weather guru Windy Wilson has said there is a change coming with a high pressure developing in the north east.  Hopefully mean some clearer skies.

Also noticed the CA app showing cloudy when it's been clear.  Seems to be mostly high clouds with me.  

Screenshot_20221127-102644.png

Edited by Ratlet
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Zermelo said:

It’s the same here. I’m generally relying on actually going out and looking with my own eyes 😆 I’ve got about 10hours of imaging this week, between clouds.

I’ve found that the forecasts contradict lately but generally bbc weather has been correct. When they’ve both been correct, CS has been spot on with the times when cloud has rolled in for an hour (or as I call it…dark frame hour). On that note, both are predicting clear skies from midnight tonight and also from about 7pm Monday here… fingers crossed! 🤞 

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

Scotland's resident Facebook weather guru Windy Wilson has said there is a change coming with a high pressure developing in the north east.  Hopefully mean some clearer skies.

Also noticed the CA app showing cloudy when it's been clear.  Seems to be mostly high clouds with me.  

Screenshot_20221127-102644.png

There is certainly a change coming if you look at the forecasts. On social media many of the weather types, especially the amateur ones, have been getting very excited about the possibility of some very cold weather that we might get from around mid-December on.

Although at least initially (first week of December), possibly after that too, the high pressure appears to be of the annoying cloudy type. Of course there could well be breaks and forecasts are often inaccurate or even totally wrong. 

I could do with a bit of an extended break in the clouds.  I've been reduced to sketching other people's astro photos.  Not enough fuzzy gray blob and too much detail for my liking! 

WW is pretty decent and bet hedging to the max, but I'm hoping that a change from this persistent barrage of storms of the Atlantic will bring more favourable conditions

PSX_20221126_223625.jpg

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Astronomist said:

Clouded over on Friday for me at about 10PM. Just looked at the forecast, the south is supposed to be cloudy as far ahead as BBC weather goes. :clouds1::clouds2::BangHead:

Don’t look at the BBC weather! The BBC also has it cloudy for me. Met Office and ClearOutside have a lovely clear night for Monday/Tuesday. Well, for Southampton 😀

7D6D48BD-8FF5-4776-BD44-965B3A2AB4FA.jpeg

965DF7D9-E607-426D-8AED-3F0E2FDD2755.jpeg

Edited by PeterStudz
  • Like 1

High Pressure does not always result in clear skies. Any moisture picked up over seas can mean cloudy weather is pushed inland. In winter this often happens when North east winds drag cloud in from the North Sea. 

The cloud in the southeast England might clear in the early hours. Wales Ireland and Scotland are having clear intervals but showers too. 

https://en.sat24.com/en/gb

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, andrew63 said:

It's a magnificent night here, hoping for some early Geminids.

13 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

Same here, no Moon, no wind, no clouds. Going to be tired at work tomorrow! 

Lucky you both, I'm fogged in here.....🌫️