SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Should I buy a refractor?

Hoping for some advice, please.  

I've got 2 lovely dobs (Heritage 150p and Starsense 8"), but I like the idea of having a very portable little refractor (on an Alt/Az mount) which requires minimal setup - something I can pop in the car if I go away for a night somewhere there might or might not be clear skies without too much thinking about whether it will fit in.

I don't want to break the bank, but I'd like something that will give me and my family/friends decent enough views that it's worth the outlay.

I know it won't collect light like the dobs, but I'm happy with a portability/no collimation trade-off.

I don't know much about refractors other that apo is better (and more expensive) than achro. Is there something someone could recommend that will fit the bill?

MiladyB x

Edited by MiladyB
Formatting
  • Like 1

I am here just for my curiosity why the Heritage 150p is not portable enough, not that I can answer this question. :) I ask this because it was once on my list before I finally decided to buy a StellaLyra 8 dob a couple of weeks ago. The reason for it in my list was purely its portability..

Edited by starhiker
typo

2 minutes ago, starhiker said:

I am here just for my curiosity why the Heritage 150p is not portable enough, not that I can answer this question. :) I ask this because it was once on my list before I finally decided to buy a StellaLyra 8 dob a couple of weeks ago. The reason for it in my list was purely its portability..

The heritage 150p OTA is pretty portable - I love mine. I wouldn't really want to transport it without a car though. 

I guess I'm looking for something that doesn't need collimation and that will work as a quick grab and go I could potentially take on the train or bus.

Something like this, maybe? https://www.firstlightoptics.com/beginner-telescopes/sky-watcher-evostar-90-660-az-pronto.html

Or this. https://www.firstlightoptics.com/startravel/sky-watcher-startravel-102-az-gte.html

MiladyB x

For a 'quick away' scope you could do worse than look at a Skywatcher ST80 or ST102 on an alt-az mount.
I have owned both scopes and they give good performance for the ££ spent.
They are good wide field scopes so you don't have to worry too much about a robust tripod and mount.
The short tubes are good for carrying and again don't impose too much on the mount.
Bresser AR types are a bit better built and last time I looked, cost a bit more - but worthwhile.
Currently I have a Bresser '102 on my solar white light setup.

In part it is determined by whether you already have a mount, or are into buying new.

HTH, David.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Carbon Brush said:

For a 'quick away' scope you could do worse than look at a Skywatcher ST80 or ST102 on an alt-az mount.
I have owned both scopes and they give good performance for the ££ spent.
They are good wide field scopes so you don't have to worry too much about a robust tripod and mount.
The short tubes are good for carrying and again don't impose too much on the mount.
Bresser AR types are a bit better built and last time I looked, cost a bit more - but worthwhile.
Currently I have a Bresser '102 on my solar white light setup.

In part it is determined by whether you already have a mount, or are into buying new.

HTH, David.

Thank you. The ST102 had definitely caught my eye. I'll have a look at the Bresser you mentioned as well.

MiladyB x

The question is: does chromatic aberration bother you or not? I thought of the same solution as you, but I couldn't be doing with purple fringes and scopes without them tend to be very pricey. I suppose something like a Baader Contrast Booster filter might help.

Edited by cajen2
Typo
  • Like 1

Hi , I bought a sharpstar 61 just for this purpose ( a bit over the top as its pricey- but i simply love the compactness ) . I often just plonk it on my AZ4 mount and have a scan round the skies ... in fact its the most enjoyable part of this wonderful hobby for me . I can push the magnification to about 100x and see perfectly crisp views ... with no CA . 

So , yes, buy a frac ... the bresser scopes are a really good choice 102/600 or 102/460 if you want really widefield . There is something lovely about simply focusing a frac .

• Like 1

Yes, definitely!

A short tube 'frac on a lightweight (even) photo tripod is perfect for the changeable weather, packing on camping trips and holidays to sunnier climates.

No worries about losing collimation either.  I bought a second hand Altair 72mm scope, that and a wide field eyepiece on a photomount was enough to see some of the sights in the Sagittarius region in 2018...

Quality varies widely according to price, but can be had for not much ££ and a good way to grab an hour or so of observing before the clouds roll in etc too.

Good luck,

Chris

• Like 3

Well I think that's answered my question about 'Should I...'

I just need to have a good look at 'Which...' 

I have a sturdy photo tripod with a 5kg stated payload that I use for my binos that might be workable, so I'll do some more research (good call on the CA point @cajen2 - I guess I need to make sure I get the best I can for the price).

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions - that's certainly given me plenty to mull over. 😄

MiladyB x

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MiladyB said:

ST102 is lovely wide field scope, but if you want it to be all around performer, maybe consider something else.

It performs rather poorly on planets and the Moon (the moon being probably most observed quick grab'n'go target).

Any achromat refractor is going to have chromatic aberration - but there is a way to get around it with some models.

You can use aperture stop and/or filters to reduce impact of CA. Problem is - longer achromats are better and this, but longer the scope - less grab'n'go it becomes. Both in mounting requirements and in transport length.

That 90/660 that you already mentioned seems like nice middle ground between focal / ota length and ability to tame CA as well as ability to serve wider field views.

Depending on your budget - you might actually like something like this:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p7169_TS-Optics-ED-APO-80-mm-f-7-Refractor-with-2-5--R-P-focuser.html

I believe it is the same as this scope:

https://www.svbony.com/sv503-80ed-f7-doublet-telescope/

just different branding. See which one has the best price after shipping and any import fees.

Also - check out this, which is probably again the same scope with different branding:

https://www.altairastro.com/starwave-ascent-80ed-f7-refractor-telescope-geared-focuser-469-p.asp

it might be best price when you consider shipping and import fees.

By the way - if planets and the moon are not your priorities then, yes - ST102 all the way (or maybe ST80 if ST102 is too big / heavy for you).

• Like 2

3 hours ago, MiladyB said:

Hoping for some advice, please.  

I've got 2 lovely dobs (Heritage 150p and Starsense 8"), but I like the idea of having a very portable little refractor (on an Alt/Az mount) which requires minimal setup - something I can pop in the car if I go away for a night somewhere there might or might not be clear skies without too much thinking about whether it will fit in.

I don't want to break the bank, but I'd like something that will give me and my family/friends decent enough views that it's worth the outlay.

I know it won't collect light like the dobs, but I'm happy with a portability/no collimation trade-off.

I don't know much about refractors other that apo is better (and more expensive) than achro. Is there something someone could recommend that will fit the bill?

MiladyB x

Not knowing what your budget is I'll assume you don't want to spend much. An 80-102mm f-5-f6 achromatic refractor will do the job. I'll also assume on hols you will not be too bothered about solar system observation considering the darker skies are the astronomical equivalent to having the keys to a sweet shop.

Chromatic abberation is not really an issue when using these scopes for widefield observing. The Startravels come up regularly for sale and relatively speaking, cheap as chips. Something like a Startravel 102 and an AZ4 mount will keep you entertained all night at a dark site and will still be cheaper than a new Apo/ED refractor ota alone.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
achromatic
  • Like 3

53 minutes ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Not knowing what your budget is I'll assume you don't want to spend much. An 80-102mm f-5-f6 achromatic refractor will do the job. I'll also assume on hols you will not be too bothered about solar system observation considering the darker skies are the astronomical equivalent to having the keys to a sweet shop.

Chromatic abberation is not really an issue when using these scopes for widefield observing. The Startravels come up regularly for sale and relatively speaking, cheap as chips. Something like a Startravel 102 and an AZ4 mount will keep you entertained all night at a dark site and will still be cheaper than a new Apo/ED refractor ota alone.

I'm thinking £300 tops, really. Cheap and cheerful.

As you say, something to take on hols/camping that won't break the bank but will give some nice visual treats without too much faff.

MiladyB x

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bomberbaz said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/evolux/sky-watcher-evolux-62ed-ota.html

Could do worse than one of these at a reasonable cost and with ed glass and high quality build should serve you well. 

I second this as it's built like a tank despite its diminutive size , however the st102 is a great option and 100mm of aperture is a really nice size . I have owned one of those and it's bigger brother the 120 and in all honesty despite the size difference I preferred the 102 

Edited by Stu1smartcookie
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, MiladyB said:

Well I think that's answered my question about 'Should I...'

I have a sturdy photo tripod with a 5kg stated payload that I use for my binos that might be workable, so I'll do some more research (good call on the CA point @cajen2 - I guess I need to make sure I get the best I can for the price).

Thank you everyone for your advice and suggestions - that's certainly given me plenty to mull over. 😄

MiladyB x

Remember to have a look on the used section here too. A quick look tonight shows this one.  No connection with the seller, but an ED doublet for £175 , so some bargains to be found, especially as this comes with an eyepiece and diagonal.

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Cjg said:

Remember to have a look on the used section here too. A quick look tonight shows this one.  No connection with the seller, but an ED doublet for £175 , so some bargains to be found, especially as this comes with an eyepiece and diagonal.

That's a good option. I use a 72ED as a grab and go alternative to an 8" dob. The Altair has a nice sliding dew shield which would make it easier to transport in a camera backpack on the train/bus as required. 

A decent mount head will also be required even if a suitable photo tripod is already owned. I've ended up buying a scopetech zero but an az5 or az-gti should be a good option for less money. 

• Like 2

To my mind an aperture of less than 70mm for visual use is best left to binoculars because it ceases to deliver a truly 'telescopic' view. Regarding the 'ST ' series Skywatchers, the 'Short Tube' versions are obviously more compact but the slower F ratio versions do deliver a much better image, especially on the moon and planets. I rather like them and I'm an inveterate refractor snob! :grin:

Olly

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1