NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

OCT 26TH - TONIGHT!! - FABULOUUS JUPITER SATELLITE, SHADOWS AND GRS TRANSITS THIS EVENING.

paulastro

Thanks for reminder, hope the high cloud gives us a chance here 🤞🏾

So rare to get multiple events at a comfortable time, with a planet at such a good altitude. Consulted 3 forecasts and seems possible will have broken cloud, but unstable. I'll give it a try 🤔 

Edited by Stephenstargazer
New forecast

That's brilliant Stu, just don't check any other forecasts that might not be as good 😊.

Yesterday it was completely clear here for the solar eclipse.  The new met cloud forecast was spot on, while AccuWeather had it as 94% cloudy for the duration 🤔

Best of luck  for tonight - and to everyone else who is planning to observe.

4 hours ago, paulastro said:

just don't check any other forecasts

Especially the Met Office cloud cover map  😵

Which has now correctly forecast arrival of the grey plague here 😭. Game over for me, best for others.

Edited by Stephenstargazer
CLOUD!

I just getting the best view of Jupiter I've had in a 4" f5 refractor x90 - aided by the thin veil of cloud which has cut down the colour. Two black shadows of Ganymede and Europa almost like 3D hovering over the globe. Thrilling!

• Like 1

The Met cloud cover forecast was accurate up here, so mostly  clear throughout, though a lot of haze and poor seeing, particularly early on. Still very pleased.  Always great to see two shadows, particularly when one of them is Ganymede's, a bonus to have the GRS transit as well.  A nice double with it being clear throughout the partial eclipse yesterday 😊.

• Like 2

Fought through a lot of high haze, cloud cover and dew but in small pockets of clearish patches I managed to get this! Before attaching the camera I was able to get a visual look too which was really, really nice to see with my own eyes

Dual Moon transit 2.png

Edited by MylesGibson
  • Like 14
  • Thanks 1

Murphy’s Law being what it is, of course last night my daughter was staying away with friends so Mrs Stu and I headed out for dinner and a film 😬🤪🤣. Skies were clear of course!

Anyway, when we got back, Jupiter was still showing well (11pm) and I knew the shadows would still be on the disk, so I swiftly converted the FC76DCU into Q mode, swapped the Herschel wedge for a diagonal and popped it out to have a quick look. GRS had gone, but Ganymede’s shadow was very obvious, and Europa’s was there but a little harder to see. Plenty of detail on the disk too, two belts and two zones below the SEB plus some texture in the main belts. This was at x108 with Leica Zoom at max power.

I took quite a few handheld smartphone shots, these were probably the best. Pleased to catch some surface detail and the shadow with a single shot 👍

It just shows the benefit of having a small but capable scope on standby, ready to setup in 30 seconds, otherwise I would have missed this entirely.

06A9B804-2DFA-4B3D-96BB-C6226B13AFFB.jpeg

275D58B4-F23E-4BD0-8475-C468050CCD36.jpeg

• Like 5

14 minutes ago, Stu said:

Murphy’s Law being what it is, of course last night my daughter was staying away with friends so Mrs Stu and I headed out for dinner and a film 😬🤪🤣. Skies were clear of course!

Anyway, when we got back, Jupiter was still showing well (11pm) and I knew the shadows would still be on the disk, so I swiftly converted the FC76DCU into Q mode, swapped the Herschel wedge for a diagonal and popped it out to have a quick look. GRS had gone, but Ganymede’s shadow was very obvious, and Europa’s was there but a little harder to see. Plenty of detail on the disk too, two belts and two zones below the SEB plus some texture in the main belts. This was at x108 with Leica Zoom at max power.

I took quite a few handheld smartphone shots, these were probably the best. Pleased to catch some surface detail and the shadow with a single shot 👍

It just shows the benefit of having a small but capable scope on standby, ready to setup in 30 seconds, otherwise I would have missed this entirely.

I'm glad you managed to get back in time to see the two shadows Stu.  Though really, you must get your priorities sorted out 😂.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Glad you were able to get back and see it! It was really very nice visually. Glad I took the time to view it before getting the picture. Ganymede's shadow was easy to spot, but it took me a while to get the Europa shadow! I couldn't pick the moon out among the face of the planet though. I could have kept at it, but wanted to get a picture while there were still patches so didn't spend long enough looking

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

No idea how you get afocal planetary shots like that, mine are always dogs dinners!

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, IB20 said:

No idea how you get afocal planetary shots like that, mine are always dogs dinners!

Like this you mean? 🤣🤣. I take plenty and choose the best. Even when you get it right the seeing can be off, so it’s worth choosing the best one. I also edit the raw files using PS Express which makes a big difference.

D33FD315-D27B-4E2C-A920-EC4371DBC9EE.jpeg

• Thanks 1